Arguments against religion, not to defend atheism?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-10-2016, 07:15 AM
RE: Arguments against religion, not to defend atheism?
(14-10-2016 05:58 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  
(13-10-2016 06:27 PM)unfogged Wrote:  In comparison to the known universe... utterly and completely insignificant except to us.
Only a blind man would claim such.... Given the vastness of the observable universe and the seeming lack of observable complex physical life(like us, and life here, on this planet).

Peace

Sent from my Z988 using Tapatalk

You really are ignorant, we are 1 of 100 billion star systems in this one galaxy, which is 1 in 100 billion galaxies in the universe.

You claim that the existence of life somehow makes this planet significant, it simply doesn't, and you can't make such an ignorant claim because you don't know the frequency of life in this universe.

Once again, you pretend to know things that you simply don't know. It's this pretense that causes others to tire of your inane beliefs and of you as a person. It is even more tiresome when you refuse to acknowledge that you are just an annoyance blathering about your insane kludged religious beliefs when no one wants to hear about your goofy ideology.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes TheInquisition's post
14-10-2016, 07:53 AM
(13-10-2016 05:00 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  Impulse,

To be clear; I did not initially relate fade out of radio with divine.

What happened after was the point that the mercy and grace of GOD abounded. When it was over I noticed the radio as it was fading back it. At which time regular thought resumed. What I'm saying is that the radio was a passing oddity, then seemingly unrelatedly and wholly different in perception and magnitude and significance, where my burdens lifted.
Thanks for clarifying, but that is how I already understood it. However, honestly, this sounds like you were experiencing a psychological phenomenon. I can't say whether it was a hallucination, delusion, product of extreme fatigue, you fell asleep at the wheel and were just dreaming, you were under the influence of some substance (although I seem to recall you saying that you weren't), or much else. I wasn't there so I can't provide the exact explanation. But I can say there was nothing to support the idea that it was "God".

(13-10-2016 05:04 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  Anyway; on your second point, I was actually doing much better and in a better place mentally prior to what had happened. I had cleaned up and was doing better. Not saying I was AOK but I was definitely doing mo much better than I had been a few months earlier.
Like I said above, I don't have the exact explanation, but "doing much better" isn't the same as completely ok. When I was about 18, I was still a believer and I latched on to my faith so strongly that I seriously considered becoming a priest. I was never in a really bad place mentally or emotionally and yet it was still out of need that I latched on to it. I think most of it came from being bullied throughout many of my school years and just not having much self-confidence as a result at that age. But overall I was happy because I came from a fairly close family, I had good friends, I did well in school academically, I was involved with track and band and few other activities that I enjoyed, and overall life was good. All it takes is for a person to want things to be a little better in order to be open to religious influence or experience. Even after I lost my faith in Christianity several years later, the need still wasn't completely gone and for awhile I continued looking at spiritual alternatives. That need can be blinding.

(13-10-2016 05:31 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  Yeeeahhh..... Look around you a little better.

This tiny insignificant speck is the first we've seen so far with complex physical life. Suddenly not so insignificant.

As far as me personally. I am the least of a great multitude that grows daily.

Have you not noticed that I regard myself as little more than crap? There is a unifying of the understanding of reality going on.

I've stated this before but not to you; the subject matter in itself can make one seem egotistical. But if you think about it, all I'm refuting is the relevance and substance of a subjective experience that happened to me personally. And I am sure of what happens to me. Always have been. As far as me preaching; I try not to and really only try to motivate others to search out the truth for themselves, and I do "preach" that doing that starts with introspection and retrospect and utter honesty with the realities that directly have to do with self. I think I do need to tone it down though, for multiple reasons, so thanks for reminding me.
You say you regard yourself as little more than crap... so there you go. My greatest driving need leading me to religion as stated above was a lack of self-confidence. So yes, you were "cleaned up and doing better", but still not thinking very highly of yourself and therefore quite open to religious thinking when it was introduced from your experience and predisposition. Consider

As for our planet, I was speaking of God's perspective. God can supposedly see everything everywhere so, yes, this planet would be insignificant in the universe. In addition, with the trillions+ planets in the universe, I don't believe for one second that this is the only one with intelligent life on it - that would only be even more true if there's a God by the way.

Finally, my comments about you being "special" for selection by God on this insignificant speck of a planet, weren't about any egocentrism. I wasn't saying you think you're special; I was saying your perspective assumes that "God" thinks so.

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
14-10-2016, 08:20 AM
It would be amusing if we did discover other life in the universe and turned out that it's more complex and far more intelligent. Suddenly we're looking very basic and unintelligent in comparison, and god squeezes into the gaps a little tighter.
14-10-2016, 08:32 AM
(14-10-2016 08:20 AM)Dark Wanderer Wrote:  It would be amusing if we did discover other life in the universe and turned out that it's more complex and far more intelligent. Suddenly we're looking very basic and unintelligent in comparison, and god squeezes into the gaps a little tighter.

It would be interesting if the star they have been observing, which could be an alien megastructure around it, turned out to be just that:

Tabby’s Star: Weird Star Gets Weirder

They would be a type 2 civilization and vastly superior to us technologically, I don't know how any theist could assert that we were anything special if that was the case, we're just pip squeaks in the galactic order.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
15-10-2016, 03:41 PM
So I guess that's a no on any help locating an old post.

Got it.

Peace

Sent from my Z988 using Tapatalk
15-10-2016, 05:01 PM
(14-10-2016 05:58 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  Only a blind man would claim such.... Given the vastness of the observable universe and the seeming lack of observable complex physical life(like us, and life here, on this planet).

I can't even begin to explain how utterly stupid and self-absorbed that comment is. Weren't you the one complaining about others being prideful? Comments like that, and your crap about humans having dominion, show how incredibly arrogant you actually are.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 2 users Like unfogged's post