Arguments against religion, not to defend atheism?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-10-2016, 05:27 AM
RE: Arguments against religion, not to defend atheism?
Two shots to center of mass usually defends whateveritism nicely.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-10-2016, 05:40 AM
You're right. My claim is that theists haven't proven their point. Prove me wrong and I will concede. THERE ARE NO OTHER CLAIMS.
Find all posts by this user
09-10-2016, 05:50 AM
(09-10-2016 05:23 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  Atheism is a claim as well though, and too could be used to prove theists wrong, but similarly can't be proven.

The claim that no god exists has a burden of proof but that is not a necessary part of atheism. Atheism, in the general case, is simply not believing that theists have provided sufficient evidence to support their claim that a god does exist.

You are the one coming into an atheist forum with stories about a god existing. You bear the burden of proof. It's way past time to put up or shut up.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
09-10-2016, 05:54 AM
I claim that there is no evidence for a god.
I back up my claim by showing the no evidence I spoke of in the first sentence.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 2 users Like Rahn127's post
09-10-2016, 05:54 AM
(09-10-2016 05:40 AM)natachan Wrote:  You're right. My claim is that theists haven't proven their point. Prove me wrong and I will concede. THERE ARE NO OTHER CLAIMS.

And some evidence for the claim that theists (at least this particular one) hasn't met their burden of proof...

(20-09-2016 07:19 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  
(20-09-2016 06:03 AM)unfogged Wrote:  Prove it. Provide ANY actual evidence for it.
This again?

We both know I can't prove it. .

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
09-10-2016, 06:27 AM
(09-10-2016 05:50 AM)unfogged Wrote:  
(09-10-2016 05:23 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  Atheism is a claim as well though, and too could be used to prove theists wrong, but similarly can't be proven.

The claim that no god exists has a burden of proof but that is not a necessary part of atheism. Atheism, in the general case, is simply not believing that theists have provided sufficient evidence to support their claim that a god does exist.

You are the one coming into an atheist forum with stories about a god existing. You bear the burden of proof. It's way past time to put up or shut up.
a·the·ism

ˈāTHēˌizəm/

noun

disbelief or lack of belief in the existence of God or gods.

synonyms:nonbelief, disbelief, unbelief, irreligion,skepticism, doubt, agnosticism; 

nihilism

Sent from my Z988 using Tapatalk
09-10-2016, 06:30 AM
A debate is between two parties, both of which are equally burdened with the argument of their own point.

de·bate

dəˈbāt/

noun

a formal discussion on a particular topic in a public meeting or legislative assembly, in which opposing arguments are put forward.

synonyms:discussion, discourse, parley,dialogue; More

verb

argue about (a subject), especially in a formal manner.

"the board debated his proposal"

synonyms:discuss, talk over/through, talk about, thrash out, hash out, argue,dispute;

Sent from my Z988 using Tapatalk
09-10-2016, 06:33 AM
Yes. I lack a belief in the existence of God. I don't believe, and you have not claimed in that definition, that I claim no gods exist. I don't think at this point that is in dispute. As such, I make no claim other than the theist has not demonstrated his case. If you think I am wrong and that God does exist all you have to do is justify that belief.
09-10-2016, 06:46 AM
(08-10-2016 09:02 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  The very same can be said to the atheist though.

No.
Religion makes positive claims. There is no supporting evidence for those claims.
The absence of claims needs no support.
The positions are entirely different.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
09-10-2016, 06:48 AM
It boggles my mind that you still don't understand what the burden of proof is, pops. How many years have you been here?
[+] 2 users Like Dark Wanderer's post