Arguments against religion, not to defend atheism?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-10-2016, 09:21 AM
RE: Arguments against religion, not to defend atheism?
(09-10-2016 09:14 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(09-10-2016 06:30 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  A debate is between two parties, both of which are equally burdened with the argument of their own point.

You don't argue the other's side point when you debate? It's far more informative that way. How about I'll argue for theism and you argue for atheism. We'll both learn more that way.
That would be fun... Can we?

Sent from my Z988 using Tapatalk
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-10-2016, 09:50 AM
(09-10-2016 09:21 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  
(09-10-2016 09:14 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  You don't argue the other's side point when you debate? It's far more informative that way. How about I'll argue for theism and you argue for atheism. We'll both learn more that way.
That would be fun... Can we?

No.

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
09-10-2016, 09:56 AM
(09-10-2016 09:50 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(09-10-2016 09:21 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  That would be fun... Can we?

No.

You're such a tease.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
09-10-2016, 10:13 AM
I started to get excited.
[+] 1 user Likes Dark Wanderer's post
09-10-2016, 10:23 AM
(09-10-2016 08:02 AM)Dark Wanderer Wrote:  
(09-10-2016 07:46 AM)unfogged Wrote:  Quote-mining, on the other hand, is not being honest. The evidence doesn't lead to the conclusion that a god exists; it leads to the conclusion that people are easily deluded.

I was going to point that out, but... Eh. It was still technically evidence on some level!

I wouldn't agree that it is even circumstantial evidence for any god existing it's just a fallacy but I could see you were just trying to be generous. I do agree that it might be evidence for how easily people can be fooled. Leave it to Pops to cherry-pick what seemed like a little glimmer of agreement and disregard the fact that you went on to demolish it.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
09-10-2016, 10:29 AM
(09-10-2016 08:44 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  That's cool, but my beliefs in no way are from the beliefs of the masses. In fact; I am generally considered a heretic and the masses don't even generally consider me of the faithful. Speaking of orthodox Christians.

Then why the fuck would you suggest that the number of people that have believed would be some kind of evidence for your claims? You can't have it both ways.

Quote:Again; I wasn't saying that a view must be true by default because the majority believe it.

You were dishonestly trying to use it as evidence for your claim. You have zero intellectual integrity.

Quote: We where speaking of any sort of evidence, and though a majority believing a thing doesn't as a necessity make that thing true; it is some sort of evidence. Not empirical or testable through scientific terms perhaps, but still some level of evidence in my opinion.

And here you go right back claiming it as evidence to support your claims. You are one truly dishonest fuck. You should work for Trump.

Quote:It is obvious that in many cases the majority can be and often is wrong.

Facepalm

Here, have another waffle on me in case you run out.

[Image: Waffle_sq-1a157824bcd634f0635c7486988f69...s6-c30.jpg]

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 2 users Like unfogged's post
09-10-2016, 11:14 AM
(09-10-2016 10:23 AM)unfogged Wrote:  
(09-10-2016 08:02 AM)Dark Wanderer Wrote:  I was going to point that out, but... Eh. It was still technically evidence on some level!

I wouldn't agree that it is even circumstantial evidence for any god existing it's just a fallacy but I could see you were just trying to be generous. I do agree that it might be evidence for how easily people can be fooled. Leave it to Pops to cherry-pick what seemed like a little glimmer of agreement and disregard the fact that you went on to demolish it.
I just appreciated the persons honesty is all.

09-10-2016, 11:17 AM
(09-10-2016 10:29 AM)unfogged Wrote:  
(09-10-2016 08:44 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  That's cool, but my beliefs in no way are from the beliefs of the masses. In fact; I am generally considered a heretic and the masses don't even generally consider me of the faithful. Speaking of orthodox Christians.

Then why the fuck would you suggest that the number of people that have believed would be some kind of evidence for your claims? You can't have it both ways.

Quote:Again; I wasn't saying that a view must be true by default because the majority believe it.

You were dishonestly trying to use it as evidence for your claim. You have zero intellectual integrity.

Quote: We where speaking of any sort of evidence, and though a majority believing a thing doesn't as a necessity make that thing true; it is some sort of evidence. Not empirical or testable through scientific terms perhaps, but still some level of evidence in my opinion.

And here you go right back claiming it as evidence to support your claims. You are one truly dishonest fuck. You should work for Trump.

Quote:It is obvious that in many cases the majority can be and often is wrong.

Facepalm

Here, have another waffle on me in case you run out.

[Image: Waffle_sq-1a157824bcd634f0635c7486988f69...s6-c30.jpg]
Look here you deceitful....; though the masses are stuck on a stumbling block created by men and their vanity doesn't mean that they are utterly wrong completely.
You are being deceitful in asserting such.

09-10-2016, 12:37 PM
(09-10-2016 08:44 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  Again; I wasn’t saying that a view must be true by default because the majority believe it.

Sure sounded that way.

(09-10-2016 08:44 AM)‘popsthebuilder Wrote:  We where speaking of any sort of evidence, and though a majority believing a thing doesn’t as a necessity make that thing true; it is some sort of evidence.

I repeat, NO it is not.

(09-10-2016 08:44 AM)‘popsthebuilder Wrote:  Not empirical or testable through scientific terms perhaps, but still some level of evidence in my opinion.

This shows to me that you don’t understand what evidence is unless, as already pointed out by others, the evidence you speak of is how the masses can be completely and utterly wrong.

(09-10-2016 08:44 AM)‘popsthebuilder Wrote:  It is obvious that in many cases the majority can be and often is wrong.

Agreed. The irony is that you say this and still cling to your beliefs.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
09-10-2016, 12:57 PM
(09-10-2016 12:37 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(09-10-2016 08:44 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  Again; I wasn’t saying that a view must be true by default because the majority believe it.

Sure sounded that way.

(09-10-2016 08:44 AM)‘popsthebuilder Wrote:  We where speaking of any sort of evidence, and though a majority believing a thing doesn’t as a necessity make that thing true; it is some sort of evidence.

I repeat, NO it is not.

(09-10-2016 08:44 AM)‘popsthebuilder Wrote:  Not empirical or testable through scientific terms perhaps, but still some level of evidence in my opinion.

This shows to me that you don’t understand what evidence is unless, as already pointed out by others, the evidence you speak of is how the masses can be completely and utterly wrong.

(09-10-2016 08:44 AM)‘popsthebuilder Wrote:  It is obvious that in many cases the majority can be and often is wrong.

Agreed. The irony is that you say this and still cling to your beliefs.
I'm sorry you think the only truth is the material sort