Arguments agaisnt Materialism

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
22-02-2017, 11:44 AM
RE: Arguments agaisnt Materialism
(22-02-2017 11:39 AM)Naielis Wrote:  
(22-02-2017 11:31 AM)Unbeliever Wrote:  He said, immediately following it with-

- and wearing a straight face the entire time.

No, Naielis. You haven't learned a great deal more about philosophy than anyone here. You just have an obscenely overblown ego.

You are seventeen. There are people here, myself included, who actually have studied this, in depth, in serious academic contexts. You have access to SparkNotes and a fascination with names.

Get off your high horse, sit down, and learn something.

Yes I did say it with a straight face... what's the problem there. I have access to Stanford and IEP. I have access to Jstor. I have access to the works of Aristotle and Kant. I don't need SparkNotes. Also, if you've studied philosophy in an academic context, how do you not know what skepticism is?

Oooooooh. Now we ARE impressed. Not quite as impressed as he is with himself, but what the hay.

In general when people like this stop their impotent little feet, and declare how great they are, it's because they are VERY insecure.

STILL WAITING FOR EVIDENCE of dualism.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
22-02-2017, 11:46 AM
(22-02-2017 11:43 AM)Naielis Wrote:  
(22-02-2017 11:41 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Apparent to YOU. Not apparent to anyone else. No one said you thought you were a genius.... liar. You have no clue how much anyone knows about anything. What is very clear, is that you have a tantrum when others do not accept the importance of things YOU think are important. Yet your ability to support their importance is virtually non-existent. That IS very childish. Grow up.

I never said he said I thought I was a genius... liar.

But nonetheless you thought you had to take the time to mention it.
Right.

Now go out and play. Time for recess.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
22-02-2017, 11:47 AM
At work.

Your quote then, SPECIFICALLY, goes on to mention "For the forensic expert..... " etc and I state AGAIN that the reality is FAR more complicated than said comment actually makes it out to be.

So, is your stated example of text/argument in error? Or is your stated writer doing nothing more than creating staw men to knock down?
22-02-2017, 11:50 AM
(22-02-2017 11:39 AM)Naielis Wrote:  Yes I did say it with a straight face... what's the problem there. I have access to Stanford and IEP. I have access to Jstor. I have access to the works of Aristotle and Kant. I don't need SparkNotes.

But you do need to actually learn something before you attempt to lecture anyone else.

You have not learned anything, Naielis. What you have done is to read a few texts, seen the (relatively) famous names attached to them, and then parroted them without thinking. You are credulous, because you have never actually learned anything about philosophy, logic, or semantics. As such, you cannot identify fallacies when they are present, and confuse "famous philosophers made this argument" with "this argument is correct".

This is why I repeat myself so much when it comes to the fact that you do not understand logic or semantics. This is important, because it leaves you incapable of actually engaging in any sort of coherent discussion, since you lack the tools to do so.

You have not learned to be a philosopher, Naielis. You have learned to be a trained parrot, repeating anything that sounds vaguely impressive to you without understanding it.

(22-02-2017 11:39 AM)Naielis Wrote:  Also, if you've studied philosophy in an academic context, how do you not know what skepticism is?

I do.

You don't. And you refuse to be corrected on this, because you have already formed your mischaracterized version of it and are convinced of its validity.

Because you haven't learned a thing.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
[+] 3 users Like Unbeliever's post
22-02-2017, 11:56 AM (This post was last modified: 22-02-2017 12:21 PM by GirlyMan.)
(22-02-2017 11:24 AM)Naielis Wrote:  I never said I was a genius. I said I knew more than you about philosophy. I've researched it more than you. And that is apparent in our conversation.

Yeah, that's not what you said you disingenuous back-pedaling twat. What you actually said was you knew more about philosophy than anyone here. And regardless of your opinion on the matter, I have credentials and you do not. The fact that you are dismissive of credentials coupled with the fact you're an obnoxious arrogant little fuck means you're gonna end up philosophizing with the customers at Burger King in between asking them whether they want fries with that.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 4 users Like GirlyMan's post
22-02-2017, 01:52 PM
(22-02-2017 11:50 AM)Unbeliever Wrote:  
(22-02-2017 11:39 AM)Naielis Wrote:  Yes I did say it with a straight face... what's the problem there. I have access to Stanford and IEP. I have access to Jstor. I have access to the works of Aristotle and Kant. I don't need SparkNotes.

But you do need to actually learn something before you attempt to lecture anyone else.

You have not learned anything, Naielis. What you have done is to read a few texts, seen the (relatively) famous names attached to them, and then parroted them without thinking. You are credulous, because you have never actually learned anything about philosophy, logic, or semantics. As such, you cannot identify fallacies when they are present, and confuse "famous philosophers made this argument" with "this argument is correct".

This is why I repeat myself so much when it comes to the fact that you do not understand logic or semantics. This is important, because it leaves you incapable of actually engaging in any sort of coherent discussion, since you lack the tools to do so.

You have not learned to be a philosopher, Naielis. You have learned to be a trained parrot, repeating anything that sounds vaguely impressive to you without understanding it.

(22-02-2017 11:39 AM)Naielis Wrote:  Also, if you've studied philosophy in an academic context, how do you not know what skepticism is?

I do.

You don't. And you refuse to be corrected on this, because you have already formed your mischaracterized version of it and are convinced of its validity.

Oh. My mistake. Please explain the difference between Academic Skepticism and Pyrrhonian Skepticism. No googling.

"I think part of the appeal of mathematical logic is that the formulas look mysterious - you write backward Es!" - Hilary Putnam
22-02-2017, 05:43 PM (This post was last modified: 22-02-2017 05:47 PM by Unbeliever.)
(22-02-2017 01:52 PM)Naielis Wrote:  Oh. My mistake. Please explain the difference between Academic Skepticism and Pyrrhonian Skepticism. No googling.

You severely overestimate the amount of patience that anyone here has left for indulging your ego. I do have to thank you for demonstrating that my assessment of you was so entirely correct, though.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
22-02-2017, 06:12 PM
(22-02-2017 01:52 PM)Naielis Wrote:  
(22-02-2017 11:50 AM)Unbeliever Wrote:  But you do need to actually learn something before you attempt to lecture anyone else.

I do.

Oh. My mistake. Please explain the difference between Academic Skepticism and Pyrrhonian Skepticism. No googling.

Geez, I for one would prefer you didn't reduce philosophy to a familiarity with arcane theories. This seems to pretty much be what most people who have never seriously studied the subject think already. Perhaps you'd like to regale us with the source of your distinguished philosophy degree.

“Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
Man got to sit and wonder 'why, why, why?'
Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
Man got to tell himself he understand.”

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle
22-02-2017, 07:34 PM
(22-02-2017 06:12 PM)whateverist Wrote:  Perhaps you'd like to regale us with the source of your distinguished philosophy degree.

He's seventeen and has spent a few months reading random things on the internet.

No, I'm not being at all facetious.

22-02-2017, 11:39 PM
(22-02-2017 07:34 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  
(22-02-2017 06:12 PM)whateverist Wrote:  Perhaps you'd like to regale us with the source of your distinguished philosophy degree.

He's seventeen and has spent a few months reading random things on the internet.

No, I'm not being at all facetious.

I've spent four years studying epistemology.

"I think part of the appeal of mathematical logic is that the formulas look mysterious - you write backward Es!" - Hilary Putnam