Arguments agaisnt Materialism

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
22-02-2017, 11:39 PM
RE: Arguments agaisnt Materialism
Okay, sorry to have to do this, but here is a list of things Nails doesn't understand (or uses in irrelevant ways in discussions with anyone here):

Scepticism
Science
Models
Epistemology
Logical fallacies
Philosophy as applied to reality
Certainty
Evidence
Abstract systems
Mathematics

I enjoyed debating him for a while, but now he's just parading around his ego and I'm tired of it. He's not interested in learning or discussing. His mind is closed. I've previously debated someone who I think was in their fifties or so, who sounded exactly like Nails. The same stubborn clinging to very similar dogma, and for the same reasons (theism). I really hope he learns some humility and reflection, so he doesn't end up like that.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-02-2017, 03:58 PM
(22-02-2017 11:39 PM)Robvalue Wrote:  Okay, sorry to have to do this, but here is a list of things Nails doesn't understand (or uses in irrelevant ways in discussions with anyone here):

Scepticism
Science
Models
Epistemology
Logical fallacies
Philosophy as applied to reality
Certainty
Evidence
Abstract systems
Mathematics

I enjoyed debating him for a while, but now he's just parading around his ego and I'm tired of it. He's not interested in learning or discussing. His mind is closed. I've previously debated someone who I think was in their fifties or so, who sounded exactly like Nails. The same stubborn clinging to very similar dogma, and for the same reasons (theism). I really hope he learns some humility and reflection, so he doesn't end up like that.

I'm sorry for the arrogance. I just got a bit irritated with Heath, Bucky, and Unbeliever. I do enjoy our discussions quite a bit more though. But no I don't cling to dogma at all. I'm an agnostic atheist. I was a deist two weeks ago. Before that I was an anti theist materialist. Ok so I'd like to start with mathematics. I'm going to be majoring in mathematics. I want to get a Ph D. in math. I've been a math kid all my life. Right now, I'm doing a bit of research on Set Theory btw. It's very interesting. You should look into it. Next, I do understand Skepticism considering I was a Pyrrhonist for some time. I argued for it. I've researched it quite a bit. Science is another thing that I've been naturally good at and attracted to for all of my life. I understand models quite well. In fact I wrote a paragraph about how they can't be a foundation. I understand epistemology very well because that's my main field. That's where I started researching philosophy. I've only turned to metaphysics in the past year. I haven't researched logic as much as other philosophy, but I do have a decent understanding of the terms and their usage. I don't know what you mean by apply philosophy to reality. I understand certainty in an epistemic sense. I understand the difference between evidence in philosophy and in science. And finally, my paragraph about models went into abstract systems as well.

"I think part of the appeal of mathematical logic is that the formulas look mysterious - you write backward Es!" - Hilary Putnam
Find all posts by this user
23-02-2017, 05:21 PM
(23-02-2017 03:58 PM)Naielis Wrote:  Next, I do understand Skepticism considering I was a Pyrrhonist for some time.

Unfortunately, constant attempts at name-dropping do not substitute for actual understanding.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
[+] 1 user Likes Unbeliever's post
23-02-2017, 07:00 PM
(23-02-2017 03:58 PM)Naielis Wrote:  I'm an agnostic atheist. I was a deist two weeks ago. Before that I was an anti theist materialist.

Right.
And next week he'll be something else. That's what children do.
I thought he told us he was an agnostic theist ?
So much for "epistemic certainty".

Laugh out loadLaugh out loadLaugh out loadLaugh out loadLaugh out loadLaugh out load
Facepalm

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
23-02-2017, 08:25 PM
(23-02-2017 05:21 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  
(23-02-2017 03:58 PM)Naielis Wrote:  Next, I do understand Skepticism considering I was a Pyrrhonist for some time.

Unfortunately, constant attempts at name-dropping do not substitute for actual understanding.

Ok then allow me to demonstrate my understanding. Pyrrhonian skepticism is a hyperactive doubt of the propositions that results in constant questioning. Academic skepticism is more ridiculous. They make truth claims about how truth claims can't be known as true.

"I think part of the appeal of mathematical logic is that the formulas look mysterious - you write backward Es!" - Hilary Putnam
23-02-2017, 08:28 PM
(23-02-2017 07:00 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(23-02-2017 03:58 PM)Naielis Wrote:  I'm an agnostic atheist. I was a deist two weeks ago. Before that I was an anti theist materialist.

Right.

Laugh out loadLaugh out loadLaugh out loadLaugh out loadLaugh out loadLaugh out load
Facepalm

No I'll be an agnostic atheist next week. I've been an atheist for years. I was only a deist for two weeks. But I do change my beliefs quite a bit. This isn't a problem for epistemic certainty at my foundation. So you're kind of off the mark there.

[+] 1 user Likes Naielis's post
23-02-2017, 10:50 PM
(23-02-2017 08:28 PM)Naielis Wrote:  
(23-02-2017 07:00 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Right.

Facepalm

No I'll be an agnostic atheist next week. I've been an atheist for years. I was only a deist for two weeks. But I do change my beliefs quite a bit. This isn't a problem for epistemic certainty at my foundation. So you're kind of off the mark there.

So you say. You refute yourself, and as such appear to not only not possess any epistemic certainty, but also to be delusional.
http://emilkirkegaard.dk/en/?p=1885

Quote:No I'll be an agnostic atheist next week.

Sure you will. Weeping

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
23-02-2017, 11:44 PM
(23-02-2017 10:50 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Sure you will.

Well... time will tell. Thumbsup

Also,

'Patience is a virtue'

Big Grin
[+] 2 users Like Peebothuhul's post
24-02-2017, 06:55 AM
(23-02-2017 10:50 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(23-02-2017 08:28 PM)Naielis Wrote:  No I'll be an agnostic atheist next week. I've been an atheist for years. I was only a deist for two weeks. But I do change my beliefs quite a bit. This isn't a problem for epistemic certainty at my foundation. So you're kind of off the mark there.

So you say. You refute yourself, and as such appear to not only not possess any epistemic certainty, but also to be delusional.
http://emilkirkegaard.dk/en/?p=1885

Quote:No I'll be an agnostic atheist next week.

Sure you will. Weeping

Delusional? Oh please do tell what delusions am I suffering from?

24-02-2017, 07:00 AM
Does anyone else get the feeling this is a wind up now?

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user