Arguments agaisnt Materialism

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
24-02-2017, 07:06 AM
RE: Arguments agaisnt Materialism
(24-02-2017 07:00 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  Does anyone else get the feeling this is a wind up now?

A wind up? No not at all. I think materialism still has more issues.

"I think part of the appeal of mathematical logic is that the formulas look mysterious - you write backward Es!" - Hilary Putnam
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-02-2017, 08:23 AM
(24-02-2017 07:00 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  Does anyone else get the feeling this is a wind up now?

Nah, I'm pretty sure it'll start winding down pretty soon Drinking Beverage

[Image: GifFileTimeline_Final.gif?format=1000w]

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 3 users Like Vera's post
24-02-2017, 08:25 AM
(24-02-2017 08:23 AM)Vera Wrote:  

Nah, I'm pretty sure it'll start winding down pretty soon Drinking Beverage

I think that's what he meant.

"I think part of the appeal of mathematical logic is that the formulas look mysterious - you write backward Es!" - Hilary Putnam
24-02-2017, 08:49 AM
(24-02-2017 06:55 AM)Naielis Wrote:  
(23-02-2017 10:50 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  So you say. You refute yourself, and as such appear to not only not possess any epistemic certainty, but also to be delusional.
http://emilkirkegaard.dk/en/?p=1885

Sure you will. Weeping

Delusional? Oh please do tell what delusions am I suffering from?

You claim epistemic certainty even while demonstrating the opposite.
It's not all that difficult. You may be "certain" for 5 minutes. Laugh out loadLaugh out loadLaugh out load

BTW, there is no such thing as a "foundation". It's a BS meaningless term.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
24-02-2017, 09:16 AM
(24-02-2017 08:49 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(24-02-2017 06:55 AM)Naielis Wrote:  Delusional? Oh please do tell what delusions am I suffering from?

You claim epistemic certainty even while demonstrating the opposite.
It's not all that difficult. You may be "certain" for 5 minutes. Laugh out loadLaugh out loadLaugh out load

BTW, there is no such thing as a "foundation". It's a BS meaningless term.

There absolutely is such a thing as a foundation. You need to research foundationalism before you make these statements. You keep getting in way over your head here. You've consistently confused the placement of epistemic certainty within my foundationalist structure. I claim epistemic certainty at my foundation. You then take any change in belief as evidence that I have no such epistemic certainty. It's an obvious trick you're trying to pass under the rug.

24-02-2017, 09:17 AM
(22-02-2017 11:39 PM)Robvalue Wrote:  Okay, sorry to have to do this, but here is a list of things Nails doesn't understand (or uses in irrelevant ways in discussions with anyone here):

Scepticism
Science
Models
Epistemology
Logical fallacies
Philosophy as applied to reality
Certainty
Evidence
Abstract systems
Mathematics

I enjoyed debating him for a while, but now he's just parading around his ego and I'm tired of it. He's not interested in learning or discussing. His mind is closed. I've previously debated someone who I think was in their fifties or so, who sounded exactly like Nails. The same stubborn clinging to very similar dogma, and for the same reasons (theism). I really hope he learns some humility and reflection, so he doesn't end up like that.

Do you want to address the paragraph I wrote about models as foundations?

24-02-2017, 09:31 AM
(24-02-2017 09:16 AM)Naielis Wrote:  I claim epistemic certainty at my foundation. You then take any change in belief as evidence that I have no such epistemic certainty. It's an obvious trick you're trying to pass under the rug.

You can claim anything you want. What you have ADMITTED refutes your claims.
If you actually had what you claimed, and IF there actually was such a thing, your core beliefs would not be changing every 5 minutes. You are delusional.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
24-02-2017, 09:40 AM
(24-02-2017 09:31 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(24-02-2017 09:16 AM)Naielis Wrote:  I claim epistemic certainty at my foundation. You then take any change in belief as evidence that I have no such epistemic certainty. It's an obvious trick you're trying to pass under the rug.

You can claim anything you want. What you have ADMITTED refutes your claims.
If you actually had what you claimed, and IF there actually was such a thing, your core beliefs would not be changing every 5 minutes. You are delusional.

But that's my exact point. My core beliefs aren't changing. Whether there's a god or not is irrelevant to my foundation. Materialism is more relevant but the concept I have of knowledge isn't inconsistent with my previous materialism. Also, my belief in materialism wasn't consistent with my actual foundation. It's the same for everyone, including you. You profess materialism, but assume principles that materialism either rejects outright or can't account for.

24-02-2017, 09:48 AM
(24-02-2017 09:40 AM)Naielis Wrote:  
(24-02-2017 09:31 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  You can claim anything you want. What you have ADMITTED refutes your claims.

But that's my exact point. My core beliefs aren't changing. Whether there's a god or not is irrelevant to my foundation. Materialism is more relevant but the concept I have of knowledge isn't inconsistent with my previous materialism. Also, my belief in materialism wasn't consistent with my actual foundation. It's the same for everyone, including you. You profess materialism, but assume principles that materialism either rejects outright or can't account for.

And that proves you are delusional, (as well as a VERY poor debater), just that you don't read what people write, just what you want to see and interpret in your own way to support your delusions.
You have NEVER EVER demonstrated what you say about me is true.
You admitted your core beliefs have changed by any normal definition.
So now you can add liar to the list of what describes you.

24-02-2017, 10:07 AM
(24-02-2017 09:48 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(24-02-2017 09:40 AM)Naielis Wrote:  But that's my exact point. My core beliefs aren't changing. Whether there's a god or not is irrelevant to my foundation. Materialism is more relevant but the concept I have of knowledge isn't inconsistent with my previous materialism. Also, my belief in materialism wasn't consistent with my actual foundation. It's the same for everyone, including you. You profess materialism, but assume principles that materialism either rejects outright or can't account for.

And that proves you are delusional, (as well as a VERY poor debater), just that you don't read what people write, just what you want to see and interpret in your own way to support your delusions.
You have NEVER EVER demonstrated what you say about me is true.
You admitted your core beliefs have changed by any normal definition.
So now you can add liar to the list of what describes you.

I'm actually extremely skilled in debate. I never admitted my core beliefs changed. That's a lie. Then in your next sentence you call me a liar... Bucky you are a very special person.