Arguments agaisnt Materialism

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
07-04-2017, 01:12 PM
RE: Arguments agaisnt Materialism
(07-04-2017 01:03 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(07-04-2017 01:00 PM)Naielis Wrote:  Oh no now you're turning on your fellow forumites. What do you mean emotions happen in the brain? Emotions do not take place in a certain position. It is nonsensical to say your happiness is located a few inches behind your eye. It is an immaterial emergent property of a physical process within the brain.

Your happiness is located in your fucking foot ?
Your desperation is showing.

What? No. Your happiness isn't located anywhere. What the fuck are you talking about? What desperation?

"I think part of the appeal of mathematical logic is that the formulas look mysterious - you write backward Es!" - Hilary Putnam
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-04-2017, 01:15 PM
(07-04-2017 01:10 PM)Naielis Wrote:  Irrelevant. I haven't had a chance to study neuroscience yet. That isn't the point at all.

That is PRECISELY the point. You're writing papers and making assertions concerning a subject you know nothing about.

Prove to us there exist "mental properties" that are separate from what emerges from physical processes and are different from what we name as "consciousness". What are these "properties". Where did you get this ?
References REQUIRED.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
07-04-2017, 01:17 PM
(07-04-2017 01:15 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(07-04-2017 01:10 PM)Naielis Wrote:  Irrelevant. I haven't had a chance to study neuroscience yet. That isn't the point at all.

That is PRECISELY the point. You're writing papers and making assertions concerning a subject you know nothing about.

Prove to us there exist "mental properties" that are separate from what emerges from physical processes and are different from what we name as "consciousness". What are these "properties". Where did you get this ?
References REQUIRED.

I wrote a paper about materialism and the philosophy of mind. I didn't write a paper about neuroscience. And there are no mental properties that don't emerge. They're emergent properties so, by definition, they emerge. Have you read anything I've written here?

"I think part of the appeal of mathematical logic is that the formulas look mysterious - you write backward Es!" - Hilary Putnam
07-04-2017, 01:17 PM (This post was last modified: 07-04-2017 01:28 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(07-04-2017 01:12 PM)Naielis Wrote:  What? No. Your happiness isn't located anywhere. What the fuck are you talking about?

That's what I was afraid of. Weeping
Jesus H. Fucking Christ.
He thinks if one cut out his brain, he would still experience happiness. Facepalm

(Hint : then why do Psychiatrists prescribe medications that alter mental states that interact ONLY with brain chemicals).

God dayum.

You wrote a bullshit paper about nothing, as you have not the slightest clue what you are talking about.
Quote:I didn't write a paper about Neuro-science.
You can fucking say THAT again.

Mental properties that emerge, emerge from something. They emerge from ONLY physical processes, when those processes are healthy and intact. You have no evidence for anything else.
Can you even think past the end of your nose ?

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
07-04-2017, 01:21 PM
(07-04-2017 01:17 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(07-04-2017 01:12 PM)Naielis Wrote:  What? No. Your happiness isn't located anywhere. What the fuck are you talking about?

That's what I was afraid of. Weeping
Jesus H. Fucking Christ.

(Hint : then why do Psychiatrists prescribe medications that alter mental states that interact ONLY with brain chemicals).

God dayum.

You wrote a bullshit paper about nothing, as you have not the slightest clue what you are talking about.

Doctors prescribe medication because medication can change your brain state which will change the nature of the emergent properties. This isn't that difficult to understand and yet you struggle.

07-04-2017, 01:27 PM
(07-04-2017 01:21 PM)Naielis Wrote:  
(07-04-2017 01:17 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  That's what I was afraid of. Weeping
Jesus H. Fucking Christ.

God dayum.

Doctors prescribe medication because medication can change your brain state which will change the nature of the emergent properties. This isn't that difficult to understand and yet you struggle.

Clearly YOU struggle.
Where do think these "properties" come from ?
They emerge ONLY from PHYSICAL structures. Material physical structures, made up of ONLY physical elements.

07-04-2017, 01:38 PM
(07-04-2017 01:17 PM)Naielis Wrote:  
(07-04-2017 01:15 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  That is PRECISELY the point. You're writing papers and making assertions concerning a subject you know nothing about.

References REQUIRED.

I wrote a paper about materialism and the philosophy of mind. I didn't write a paper about neuroscience. And there are no mental properties that don't emerge. They're emergent properties so, by definition, they emerge. Have you read anything I've written here?

Ok. So let me get this straight.
He agrees that consciousness emerges from physical elements and processes.
He agrees that "mental properties" emerge from what is (only) physical.
He denies there is any woo intervention.

Yet he thinks he needs to "battle materialism", and write papers about "materialism".
Consider

FacepalmWeeping

07-04-2017, 01:39 PM
(07-04-2017 01:27 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(07-04-2017 01:21 PM)Naielis Wrote:  Doctors prescribe medication because medication can change your brain state which will change the nature of the emergent properties. This isn't that difficult to understand and yet you struggle.

Clearly YOU struggle.
They emerge ONLY from PHYSICAL structures. Material physical structures, made up of ONLY physical elements.

When have I ever said otherwise? The struggling is now back to you.

07-04-2017, 01:40 PM
(07-04-2017 01:38 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(07-04-2017 01:17 PM)Naielis Wrote:  I wrote a paper about materialism and the philosophy of mind. I didn't write a paper about neuroscience. And there are no mental properties that don't emerge. They're emergent properties so, by definition, they emerge. Have you read anything I've written here?

Ok. So let me get this straight.
He agrees that consciousness emerges from physical elements and processes.
He agrees that "mental properties" emerge from what is (only) physical.
He denies there is any woo intervention.

Yet he thinks he needs to "battle materialism", and write papers about "materialism".
Consider

FacepalmWeeping

Yes I do need to combat reductive materialism. I'm positioning myself on the spectrum. Also, it would've been great if you could've read what I was saying and understood sooner. You've wasted so much time yelling about neuroscience.

07-04-2017, 01:41 PM
(07-04-2017 01:39 PM)Naielis Wrote:  
(07-04-2017 01:27 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Clearly YOU struggle.

When have I ever said otherwise? The struggling is now back to you.

So then, ... remind us why you wrote a paper about "materialism" again, and why you "battle" it.