Arguments agaisnt Materialism

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
08-04-2017, 06:44 PM
RE: Arguments agaisnt Materialism
(08-04-2017 02:34 PM)Christian Philosophy Wrote:  
(08-04-2017 12:17 PM)Chas Wrote:  That is not evidence.

An unfounded assertion. He didn't demonstrate anything of the sort.

It is not only not the best explanation, it isn't even an explanation. It is based on an unproven claim.

I, too, think your signature is stupid.
1.How is that not evidence. You don't think our experiences of qualitative features of reality consitutes a degree of evidence? That is about as sense derived as it gets.

Premises and arguments are not evidence. Evidence comes from reality, not argument.

Quote:2. He appealed to Leibniz's law, a first principles indepedent of empiricism of which science is indebted to (without it, you could not consistently isolate variables), and showed that you can't appeal to a reality that simply has none of these features even remotely intrinsically.

I didn't say that he didn't. Your point?

Quote:3. I beg to differ, see above. Unless you deny you even subjectively have qualitative experiences (which would make you about as much an epistmeological skeptic as you get), it is evidence.

Internal, unshareable, irreproducible experiences are not evidence.

Quote:4. I am again sorry you guys dislike my quote.

Thanks for the reply,

Christian Philosophy.

Christian philosophy has no basis in facts. It relies on a book of very dubious veracity.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-04-2017, 07:20 PM
(08-04-2017 03:22 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(08-04-2017 03:16 PM)Naielis Wrote:  Insulting is not the same as trolling. Could you please just be smarter?

Whatever you say there, Mr. "Immaterial emergent properties do not exist in positions".

Laugh out load...Laugh out load...Laugh out load...Laugh out load...Laugh out load...Laugh out load...Laugh out load...Laugh out load...Laugh out load...Laugh out load...Laugh out load...Laugh out load...Laugh out load...Laugh out load

Things that have no mass or volume and are just properties of something else have no position... idiot.

"I think part of the appeal of mathematical logic is that the formulas look mysterious - you write backward Es!" - Hilary Putnam
Find all posts by this user
08-04-2017, 07:27 PM
(08-04-2017 07:20 PM)Naielis Wrote:  
(08-04-2017 03:22 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Whatever you say there, Mr. "Immaterial emergent properties do not exist in positions".

Laugh out load...Laugh out load...Laugh out load...Laugh out load...Laugh out load...Laugh out load...Laugh out load...Laugh out load...Laugh out load...Laugh out load...Laugh out load...Laugh out load...Laugh out load...Laugh out load

Things that have no mass or volume and are just properties of something else have no position... idiot.

No position? They are properties of a physical thing, therefore that is their location.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-04-2017, 07:28 PM (This post was last modified: 08-04-2017 07:32 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(08-04-2017 07:20 PM)Naielis Wrote:  
(08-04-2017 03:22 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Whatever you say there, Mr. "Immaterial emergent properties do not exist in positions".

Typical ignorant comment from Nelly Boy.
What emerges from the brain, (thoughts, emotions, happiness, depression) emerge from very specific places in the brain, and they have no mass and no volume.
You really are clueless aren't you ?
You were given almost an ENTIRE page of links PROVING that. Idiot.

But of course, you will just continue to make your pathetic attempts to discuss a subject you know absolutely nothing about. Idiot.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
08-04-2017, 07:32 PM
(08-04-2017 07:27 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(08-04-2017 07:20 PM)Naielis Wrote:  Things that have no mass or volume and are just properties of something else have no position... idiot.

No position? They are properties of a physical thing, therefore that is their location.

Really so the liquidity of water exists inside the water? No. It is localized to the water, but has no position of it's own.

"I think part of the appeal of mathematical logic is that the formulas look mysterious - you write backward Es!" - Hilary Putnam
08-04-2017, 07:33 PM
(08-04-2017 07:28 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(08-04-2017 07:20 PM)Naielis Wrote:  Things that have no mass or volume and are just properties of something else have no position... idiot.

Typical ignorant comment from Nelly Boy.
What emerges from the brain, (thoughts, emotions, happiness, depression) emerge from very specific places in the brain, and they have no mass and no volume.
You really are clueless aren't you ?
You were given almost an ENTIRE page of links PROVING that. Idiot.

But of course, you will just continue to make your pathetic attempts to discuss a subject you know absolutely nothing about. Idiot.

Emotions and thoughts have no mass. They have physical correlates that have mass.

08-04-2017, 07:40 PM
(08-04-2017 07:33 PM)Naielis Wrote:  Emotions and thoughts have no mass.

Brilliant. That's what I just said.

Quote:They have physical correlates that have mass.

Excellent.
So you have now learned one thing, which you denied before.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2770698/

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
08-04-2017, 07:41 PM
(08-04-2017 07:40 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(08-04-2017 07:33 PM)Naielis Wrote:  Emotions and thoughts have no mass.

Brilliant. That's what I just said.

Quote:They have physical correlates that have mass.

Excellent.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2770698/

Never denied that. You're delusional.

08-04-2017, 07:42 PM (This post was last modified: 08-04-2017 07:48 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(08-04-2017 07:41 PM)Naielis Wrote:  
(08-04-2017 07:40 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Brilliant. That's what I just said.

Excellent.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2770698/

Never denied that. You're delusional.

Yes dear. Whatever you say, dear.
What "emerges" from brain processes, does not exist outside your head, or in your ass, dear.
""Immaterial emergent properties do not exist in positions"
Remember that, dear. Yes you did, dear.
We can watch and track the emergence with PET scans, dear. INSIDE THE BRAIN.
Do try to keep up, child.

08-04-2017, 07:54 PM
(08-04-2017 07:42 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(08-04-2017 07:41 PM)Naielis Wrote:  Never denied that. You're delusional.

Yes dear. Whatever you say, dear.
What "emerges" from brain processes, does not exist outside your head, or in your ass, dear.
""Immaterial emergent properties do not exist in positions"
Remember that, dear. Yes you did, dear.
We can watch and track the emergence with PET scans, dear. INSIDE THE BRAIN.
Do try to keep up, child.

What do you mean we can track the emergence? And please find one example of me denying correlates. The emergent property of consciousness doesn't exist outside your head because it doesn't have a position at all. It is merely localized to the brain because it is a property of the brain.