Arguments agaisnt Materialism

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
10-04-2017, 03:00 PM
RE: Arguments agaisnt Materialism
(10-04-2017 02:54 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(10-04-2017 02:51 PM)Naielis Wrote:  I demonstrated the incompatibility of mental and physical properties. I know it's my job. I already did it. It's your job to respond to my argument rather than dismissing it.

You did no such thing. All you did was assert it. Mental processes ARE physical processes (which you would know if you knew any science) and you have NOT one example of one that isn't or that they are incompatible.

Did you miss the whole intentionality explanation? Oh no wait you dismissed that...

"I think part of the appeal of mathematical logic is that the formulas look mysterious - you write backward Es!" - Hilary Putnam
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-04-2017, 03:04 PM
(10-04-2017 02:57 PM)Naielis Wrote:  
(10-04-2017 02:54 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  I agree with her. Bacon is remembered primarily as an essayist and political figure (and, by a few crackpots, as the "real" author of Shakespeare's works). As a philosopher, he is a relatively minor figure.

https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/francis-bacon/
http://www.iep.utm.edu/bacon/#SH2k

I am familiar with Bacon's philosophical works. I still maintain that he was not primarily a philosopher in the same sense as someone like Aristotle or Kant. When I hear the name Francis Bacon, philosophy is not the first thing that comes to mind. To me, he's more of a literary figure.
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
10-04-2017, 03:04 PM
(10-04-2017 03:00 PM)Naielis Wrote:  
(10-04-2017 02:54 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  You did no such thing. All you did was assert it. Mental processes ARE physical processes (which you would know if you knew any science) and you have NOT one example of one that isn't or that they are incompatible.

Did you miss the whole intentionality explanation? Oh no wait you dismissed that...

I read it. It's nonsense. Total bunk. It's another red-herring. It's not an "explanation". It's meaningless.
Nothing you say about mental processes, in your current state of utter ignorance, is ever going to get taken seriously.
Philosophy has nothing to say to modern brain science.
Neuroscientists don't even talk in your ancient woo language.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
10-04-2017, 03:10 PM
(10-04-2017 03:04 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(10-04-2017 02:57 PM)Naielis Wrote:  https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/francis-bacon/
http://www.iep.utm.edu/bacon/#SH2k

I am familiar with Bacon's philosophical works. I still maintain that he was not primarily a philosopher in the same sense as someone like Aristotle or Kant. When I hear the name Francis Bacon, philosophy is not the first thing that comes to mind. To me, he's more of a literary figure.

That's true, but I don't think it's unfair to represent him as a philosopher with regard to his works on induction and the Baconian method.

"I think part of the appeal of mathematical logic is that the formulas look mysterious - you write backward Es!" - Hilary Putnam
10-04-2017, 03:11 PM
(10-04-2017 03:04 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(10-04-2017 03:00 PM)Naielis Wrote:  Did you miss the whole intentionality explanation? Oh no wait you dismissed that...

I read it. It's nonsense. Total bunk. It's another red-herring. It's not an "explanation". It's meaningless.
Nothing you say about mental processes, in your current state of utter ignorance, is ever going to get taken seriously.

Lol "ancient woo language"

10-04-2017, 03:30 PM
Everything that is known to exist that has been observed is physical. The mental is merely a subset of this. Physical by definition is anything that has
property or dimension. Some things such as thoughts for example do not fit this definition but still emanate from something physical [ so in this case
the brain ] So it is wrong to think of the mental as being an entirely independent from the physical. Because it is not actually possible. If for the sake
of argument the physical did not exist then neither would the mental and this is why there are no examples of the mental existing entirely separately

A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
[+] 3 users Like surreptitious57's post
10-04-2017, 04:20 PM
(10-04-2017 01:42 PM)Naielis Wrote:  Electrons do have that property. Electrons have color and hardness. They're either white or black and soft or hard. You need to study more QM.

And you need to study more grade school science. Electrons do not have colour, nor do they have any known substructure. They're assumed to be point particles with a point charge, and no spatial extent, so they cannot be defined as "soft" or "hard" LOL.

—I think you're confusing electrons and molecules.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
10-04-2017, 04:55 PM
(10-04-2017 01:42 PM)Naielis Wrote:  Electrons have color and hardness. They're either white or black and soft or hard. You need to study more QM.

I found one lecturer using those terms and this question about it

"In the lecture adams describes two properties of electrons, which he names color and hardness, both being binary in nature, i.e. white/black, and soft/hard. He claims these are alternate names for two conventionally well known properties of electrons, and shall be referred to via these names at the moment."

*emphasis mine

Electrons do not have color or hardness except in some strange analogy. Probably an instructor trying to make physics understandable to philosophy students.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 4 users Like unfogged's post
10-04-2017, 05:09 PM
(10-04-2017 03:11 PM)Naielis Wrote:  
(10-04-2017 03:04 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  I read it. It's nonsense. Total bunk. It's another red-herring. It's not an "explanation". It's meaningless.

Lol "ancient woo language"

Just a little FYI I passed your thread onto a friend of mine who does have a ph.d in philosophy, awarded by Stanford university in Palo Alto California.

I've also extended an invite if they find what you say remotely interesting to join the forum.

We'll see....

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
10-04-2017, 05:14 PM
I'd say philosophy guides science, but the actual process of testing hypotheses by collecting data is not philosophy.

Putting it in very general terms, I'd say philosophy deals with the abstract while science deals with the existent.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Robvalue's post