Poll: Which view is more reasonable?
Someone created something out of nothing
No one created something from nothing
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Arguments for God!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-03-2010, 07:18 PM

Arguments for God!
I believe out of nothing, nothing comes "ex nihilo nihil fit" Some scientists believe the universe started from nothing. Which makes more sense?

A- Someone created something out of nothing.

B- No one created something out of nothing.

C- Undecided
I thought my poll would be attached to my post. Sorry

Also I would expect to see the number of votes match the number of views approximately, as some can view it more than once.
Quote this message in a reply
14-03-2010, 07:35 PM (This post was last modified: 14-03-2010 08:29 PM by ashley.hunt60.)
RE: Arguments for God!
I refuse to vote. My belief is not properly reflected by any of the choices.

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-03-2010, 07:51 PM
If you take "no one" as a noun, then yes, that's correct. "No one" created something out of nothing. The universe is causeless.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
14-03-2010, 08:15 PM

I want to add a third answer, anyone know how to edit it, or do I need to start over?
14-03-2010, 08:26 PM
I don't think you can edit the poll itself. You may have to make a new one.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
15-03-2010, 05:15 AM

My answer is D: none of the above.
15-03-2010, 06:22 AM
A potentially interesting poll. Unfortunately, I am unable to participate due to lack of options.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
15-03-2010, 06:10 PM

(15-03-2010 06:22 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  A potentially interesting poll. Unfortunately, I am unable to participate due to lack of options.

give me some more options
15-03-2010, 08:30 PM
Fair enough. I don't think anything was ever created from nothing. The implication you are making (and correct me if I am wrong, I don't mean to make assumptions) is that something was created from nothing, and you want to know if I think it was done by someone or noone.

The question, "well what was there at the beginning of time?" also holds no water for me. To say there was a "beginning of time" in the first place is, to me, presumptuous. I don't think we can even grasp the concept of time beyond what we see as the passage of time, so to assume there was a beginning is foolish. It's like saying there is no such thing as infinity simply because we cannot demonstrate it. It is possible that there is no such thing as infinity, as it is also possible that there is a beginning of time. All just possibilities that can't yet be proven though, so I make a choice to accept that I don't know, and therefore believe the explaination that makes the most sense to me. I also choose to remain open minded enough to change my mind if someone provides me with convincing eveidence, or a theory that makes more sense than the one I currently believe.

In a nutshell, what makes the most sense to me is that there is no beginning of time (that time is infinite) and that mass is constant (the mass that exists in the universe today is the same as it has always been, though granted likely in a very different form.)

Sometimes I'm not very good at explaining myself, so do let me know if this makes sense! LOL, hopefully its not complete gibberish.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
15-03-2010, 09:31 PM

(15-03-2010 08:30 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Fair enough. I don't think anything was ever created from nothing. The implication you are making (and correct me if I am wrong, I don't mean to make assumptions) is that something was created from nothing, and you want to know if I think it was done by someone or noone.

The question, "well what was there at the beginning of time?" also holds no water for me. To say there was a "beginning of time" in the first place is, to me, presumptuous. I don't think we can even grasp the concept of time beyond what we see as the passage of time, so to assume there was a beginning is foolish. It's like saying there is no such thing as infinity simply because we cannot demonstrate it. It is possible that there is no such thing as infinity, as it is also possible that there is a beginning of time. All just possibilities that can't yet be proven though, so I make a choice to accept that I don't know, and therefore believe the explaination that makes the most sense to me. I also choose to remain open minded enough to change my mind if someone provides me with convincing eveidence, or a theory that makes more sense than the one I currently believe.

In a nutshell, what makes the most sense to me is that there is no beginning of time (that time is infinite) and that mass is constant (the mass that exists in the universe today is the same as it has always been, though granted likely in a very different form.)

Sometimes I'm not very good at explaining myself, so do let me know if this makes sense! LOL, hopefully its not complete gibberish.

Dude or dudette, if that's a word, I love what you wrote, Your first paragraph summed it up perfectly! Second paragraph, I respect what you had to say, because it was your feelings. Third paragraph, we disagree but so what? let's talk about it. I posted my email address and I get a number of emails everyday and I try and write a response that is more than "No they don't" etc. So it might take me longer to respond, sorry

Looking forward to exploring it together,

Martin