Poll: Which view is more reasonable?
Someone created something out of nothing
No one created something from nothing
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Arguments for God!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-03-2010, 07:40 PM
RE: Arguments for God!
I am under the impression that another reason for so many denominations is because there are so many interpretations of the bible. That, to me, is just another blaring neon sign saying that man wrote the bible, and was not guided by a devine being. If man was guided by god, and god really is perfect, then god would have made sure that the bible was written exactly the way he wanted, with no contradictions, and with a consistent message. Its just one of the many reasons why I find the entire notion of god rediculous.

We definitely agree on one thing. The money spent on religion and churches is disgusting. Imagine taking the money spent on one of these fancy new churches that keep popping up, and instead, spending that money building modest housing for the less-priveleged. We could provide shelter for hundreds. Instead the religous spend all that money stroking gods ego. Its apalling, misguided, and sad. Frankly, religion is big business. I have always stood by my conviction that if one truly believes there is a god that created all things, instead of building a church to pray in, they should find a tree to sit under, since that is gods creation.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-03-2010, 08:11 PM

I wish we could put this interpretation question to rest for good. There are no contradictions only ignorance from non-reading. Take our hosts Biblical contradictions, Genesis trees before Adam or after Adam. Chapter 1 in Genesis is the story of creation itself; it is a chronological order telling us the when and what of the story. Chapter 2 is a personal story of Adam; it is not chronological nor is it telling us the when or the what but rather the who and where details. It also said God planted a garden I wouldn't exactly call the earth a Garden, Hence the name Garden of Eden. If people would read the Bible with a clear mind these contradictions would disappear, instead they read with the idea of proving it wrong and it just doesn't work. As far as denominations go, same thing, the Bible is clear, man is not.
Quote this message in a reply
16-03-2010, 08:28 PM

(16-03-2010 08:11 PM)martinb59 Wrote:  I wish we could put this interpretation question to rest for good. There are no contradictions only ignorance from non-reading. Take our hosts Biblical contradictions, Genesis trees before Adam or after Adam. Chapter 1 in Genesis is the story of creation itself; it is a chronological order telling us the when and what of the story. Chapter 2 is a personal story of Adam; it is not chronological nor is it telling us the when or the what but rather the who and where details. It also said God planted a garden I wouldn't exactly call the earth a Garden, Hence the name Garden of Eden. If people would read the Bible with a clear mind these contradictions would disappear, instead they read with the idea of proving it wrong and it just doesn't work. As far as denominations go, same thing, the Bible is clear, man is not.

"If people would read the Bible with a clear mind these contradictions would disappear, instead they read with the idea of proving it wrong and it just doesn't work. As far as denominations go, same thing, the Bible is clear, man is not."

But, martin, isn't that how EVERY work of fiction SHOULD be read? What would the story of Little Red Riding Hood mean to any of us if we DIDN'T read it with the notion of proving it wrong? Or the story of Jack and the Beanstalk? If we read those works as FACT, we would honestly believe that our grandmothers were actually wolves in disguise, and that a giant lives in the clouds.

I would even venture to say that works of NON-FICTION should also be read with the notion of proving it wrong. That's why I accept evolution...I read about it in school, asked myself whether it can be true or not, then saw the evidence that proved it was right. That is how you know what is TRUTH and what is not.

Virgin births, resurrections, prayers being answered...no proof in ANY of it, so none of what the bible says is TRUTH...none of it is provable.
16-03-2010, 08:37 PM
I'm not going to quote verses here, I'm just going to share a contradiction that I see in the bible. It says that god loves us, and also talks about god killing and torturing. Sorry, but the bible is one big contradiction. (And yes, I have read it. I have never bothered to memorize any of it, since it is nothing more than a story to me, but I do know the story)

16-03-2010, 08:50 PM

Ok then prove it wrong like so many others have tried. Look up Simon Greenleaf, I quoted what the Smithsonian said about the Bible, there are millions who will testify to the power of prayer, I gave you double blind university studies at hospitals. Its funny reading what people say about me on this site, but supermalives1973, sorry but that is about the most ridiculous thing that I have heard from you yet. Sorry everyone I was duped by the name of this site, It said "The Thinking Atheist" Guys who say God doesn't because relatives don't recycle, dismissing what The Smithsonian says about the Bible and lumping it in with Jack in the beanstalk, you claim it is fiction is just stupid. Sorry people for wasting your time but I am done wasting my time.

martinb59@cox.net if anyone is truly interested in discussion
16-03-2010, 09:43 PM
Well, I figured the only fair way to give you a chance Martin, was to talk with you myself. Once again, you are acting like a child, and pouting because the discussion is not going your way.

I hope for your sake that you find what you are looking for in another forum, and I hope for ours that you follow through with what you say and leave this one.

16-03-2010, 09:57 PM
(16-03-2010 08:50 PM)martinb59 Wrote:  Ok then prove it wrong like so many others have tried. Look up Simon Greenleaf, I quoted what the Smithsonian said about the Bible, there are millions who will testify to the power of prayer, I gave you double blind university studies at hospitals. Its funny reading what people say about me on this site, but supermalives1973, sorry but that is about the most ridiculous thing that I have heard from you yet. Sorry everyone I was duped by the name of this site, It said "The Thinking Atheist" Guys who say God doesn't because relatives don't recycle, dismissing what The Smithsonian says about the Bible and lumping it in with Jack in the beanstalk, you claim it is fiction is just stupid. Sorry people for wasting your time but I am done wasting my time.

If you are truly leaving, then farewell, and I wish luck.

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
17-03-2010, 06:06 AM

(16-03-2010 08:50 PM)martinb59 Wrote:  Ok then prove it wrong like so many others have tried. Look up Simon Greenleaf, I quoted what the Smithsonian said about the Bible, there are millions who will testify to the power of prayer, I gave you double blind university studies at hospitals. Its funny reading what people say about me on this site, but supermalives1973, sorry but that is about the most ridiculous thing that I have heard from you yet. Sorry everyone I was duped by the name of this site, It said "The Thinking Atheist" Guys who say God doesn't because relatives don't recycle, dismissing what The Smithsonian says about the Bible and lumping it in with Jack in the beanstalk, you claim it is fiction is just stupid. Sorry people for wasting your time but I am done wasting my time.

Simon Greenleaf - important figure in Christian Apologetics. Nice, go after the source that tries to 'circumvent the mind' (as Kirk Cameron likes to put it).

Yes, there are probably millions who DO testify to the power of prayer. But, put prayer under the scrutiny of science and what do you get? EPIC FAIL! Prayer has not been conclusively proven to work (I think it has about a 50% accuracy which, if you think about it, is about as accurate as chance or coincidence alone).

Oh, and that whole recycling thing? It may have been stupid of me to have even EXPECTED you to understand the context of what I was trying to say. Now I KNOW you don't understand the context of it, seeing how you keep bringing it up. If you don't have a better argument, then don't use ANY argument.

I lump the bible with Jack and the Beanstalk and other works of FICTION because that is all the bible is for me...FICTION. Look up the definition of fiction, then tell me how the bible DOESN'T fall into that category.

I'd hate to think you were leaving for such a simple reason. Did I upset you? Huh
17-03-2010, 08:12 AM
You know, I can't help but think that martinb59 came to this site with unrealistic expectations. He stated in his very first thread that he didn't believe that anyone was really an atheist, as the evidence in favor of his god was so obvious that anyone could see it. When it turned out that, hey, these people really don't believe, and we didn't take everything he said at face value, that overturned his belief that every believed deep down.
He came here expecting to win converts left and right, or at least to have his assertions taken at face value and then ignored. When we actually responded with valid objections, he wasn't prepared for them, and he got mad.
Ah, well. It was a good run while it lasted. Farewell, martinb59.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
18-03-2010, 09:09 AM

Consider there is no beginning no middle no end. Eternity is the past present and future And pure energy cannot be created or destroyed. It just is.