Arguments for the prohibition of drugs

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-02-2013, 10:26 AM
Can anyone provide me with good arguments supporting the prohibition of drugs? Here are my arguments against the prohibition:

1. Prohibiting drugs increases violence. Murder rates dropped significantly when the USA ended it's prohibition of alcohol in the 1930's.

2. The prohibition of drugs is counter productive, it results in the funding of organized crime, terrorists and corrupt politicians.

3. The prohibition of drugs is hypocrisy, alcohol and tobacco are more dangerous than most drugs yet they are legal. The danger posed by drugs has been grossly exaggerated.

4. Many drug users are otherwise law abiding people, criminalizing them is unfair and a waste of police resources.

5. The war on drugs shows no sign of ending and appears to be unwinnable.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Grockel's post
25-02-2013, 10:34 AM
RE: Arguments for the prohibition of drugs
Nope. Looks like you got it covered. Drinking Beverage

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
25-02-2013, 10:43 AM
Agreed.

I Heart Qualia Soup
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
25-02-2013, 02:15 PM (This post was last modified: 25-02-2013 02:22 PM by I and I.)
The "war on drugs" failure is due to the fact that the u.s. government has been controlling the drug trade and importing drugs into the country, which means they haven't tried to prohibit drugs, they just pretend to.

Letting people eat or consume whatever they want leads to an unhealthy society and a larger expenditure on healthcare needs, look at the shit they are allowed to seduce people to eat.

There are documentaries and books on this. The u.s. attempts to take control of the drug trade and put more minorities in jail at the same time.

If you believe the lie that the u.s. actually ever attempted to stop the flow of drugs into the u.s. then you have basically bought their propaganda.
25-02-2013, 02:46 PM
For prohibiting drugs, or not, it isn't really an argument. If you live in a society, where you can't have it either way, you live in a society that has fundamental problems, and you have a lot of more important things to worry about. You should attempt to address those and/or find out whether, or not, you're just simply fucked.

For the things you brought up against drugs, you are starting to lean toward the idiotic points, and are just being annoying, in a way that is similar to what happens in the gun debates.

The argument against drugs is just simple: you take some thing that is fundamentally destructive and dangerous when misused in a society, and you limit the availability and access to it.

The argument for drugs is best kept as a simple libertarian argument.

I'm with I and I on the "war on drugs" though. There wasn't ever a legitimate "war on drugs". Only at very specific times, in very specific locations, but for the most part, there weren't actually any attempts to be serious about drugs and/or violent drug related crime, on an overall level. What happened with drugs, happened exactly as it was supposed to happen, to the people who are actually important.

The Paradox Of Fools And Wise Men:
“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.” ― Bertrand Russell
25-02-2013, 05:01 PM
Just one word....Portugal

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
[+] 2 users Like aurora's post
25-02-2013, 05:06 PM
(25-02-2013 05:01 PM)aurora Wrote:  Just one word....Portugal
Heart

(No idea why Portugal in this case, but I love that country and those people. And that language.)

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
25-02-2013, 05:21 PM
(25-02-2013 05:06 PM)Vera Wrote:  
(25-02-2013 05:01 PM)aurora Wrote:  Just one word....Portugal
Heart

(No idea why Portugal in this case, but I love that country and those people. And that language.)
Here you go...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drug_policy_of_Portugal

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
[+] 2 users Like aurora's post
25-02-2013, 05:25 PM
(25-02-2013 05:21 PM)aurora Wrote:  Here you go...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drug_policy_of_Portugal
Now, why didn't I know this when I was living there Dodgy

Of course, back then I was a bit of a goody two shoes, so it wouldn't've mattered much one way or the other...

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
26-02-2013, 12:16 AM
The only arguments that make any sense for the prohibition of drugs are ideological, or pleading (i.e. I want to keep my job and/or salary as a narcotics officer). That's my opinion. Now if you want arguments for the regulation of drugs, that's a different story.