Arguments for the prohibition of drugs

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-02-2013, 06:28 AM
RE: Arguments for the prohibition of drugs
(25-02-2013 02:15 PM)I and I Wrote:  Letting people eat or consume whatever they want leads to an unhealthy society and a larger expenditure on healthcare needs, look at the shit they are allowed to seduce people to eat.

1. I dont see where letting people consume whatever they want is the problem, the problem is when people consume whatever they want. The fact that we are allowed to should not be an issue. If i want to take drugs i should be allowed to, just like if i want to eat a big mac and a large fry i should be allowed to. Neither of those things are good for me but its my personal health that is concerned so there should be no place for the government to intervene.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes wayned123's post
26-02-2013, 09:53 AM
"Can anyone provide me with good arguments supporting the prohibition of drugs?"

No. No one can. Because there are none.

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes bbeljefe's post
26-02-2013, 11:54 AM
(26-02-2013 06:28 AM)wayned123 Wrote:  I dont see where letting people consume whatever they want is the problem, the problem is when people consume whatever they want. The fact that we are allowed to should not be an issue. If i want to take drugs i should be allowed to, just like if i want to eat a big mac and a large fry i should be allowed to. Neither of those things are good for me but its my personal health that is concerned so there should be no place for the government to intervene.

People argue, and have argued, that free-will doesn't exist, at all.

An idea that people consuming what they want, is a want fundamentally based on rationality and rational decision making, would be total absurdity.

Beyond that, the problem is mainly one with capitalism. The consumer just plays the role of the unfortunate victim, and it's usually standard to let the sheep go, in order to catch the wolf. I guess in this case, the wolf might also be allowed to go, if you could go after some thing even bigger than the wolf.

The Paradox Of Fools And Wise Men:
“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.” ― Bertrand Russell
26-02-2013, 04:52 PM (This post was last modified: 26-02-2013 04:57 PM by I and I.)
(26-02-2013 11:54 AM)TrulyX Wrote:  
(26-02-2013 06:28 AM)wayned123 Wrote:  I dont see where letting people consume whatever they want is the problem, the problem is when people consume whatever they want. The fact that we are allowed to should not be an issue. If i want to take drugs i should be allowed to, just like if i want to eat a big mac and a large fry i should be allowed to. Neither of those things are good for me but its my personal health that is concerned so there should be no place for the government to intervene.

People argue, and have argued, that free-will doesn't exist, at all.

An idea that people consuming what they want, is a want fundamentally based on rationality and rational decision making, would be total absurdity.

Beyond that, the problem is mainly one with capitalism. The consumer just plays the role of the unfortunate victim, and it's usually standard to let the sheep go, in order to catch the wolf. I guess in this case, the wolf might also be allowed to go, if you could go after some thing even bigger than the wolf.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Under capitalism, the definition of freedom has been reduced to only the freedom to consume.

Remember the story of conservatives getting angry with schools for cutting out junk food and the response was Sarah plain sending the school boxes of cookies. Likewise liberals do not like people saying what drugs they shouldn't consume. In reality one probably shouldn't be putting shit into their body anyway. But hey, this is amurca and the only freedom we care about is the freedom to put shit in our bodies and watch shit on tv. Remember the outrage when twinkles stopped being made. Team America fuck yeah
26-02-2013, 06:39 PM
How in the hell does capitalism have the first thing to do with the government going around pointing guns at people and telling them what they can and cannot do?

Here's capitalism... I have a pen. You have a dollar. You want my pen more than you want your dollar and I want your dollar more than I want my pen. We agree, we trade, we both walk away happier than before.

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb
[+] 1 user Likes bbeljefe's post
26-02-2013, 06:52 PM
(26-02-2013 06:39 PM)bbeljefe Wrote:  How in the hell does capitalism have the first thing to do with the government going around pointing guns at people and telling them what they can and cannot do?

Here's capitalism... I have a pen. You have a dollar. You want my pen more than you want your dollar and I want your dollar more than I want my pen. We agree, we trade, we both walk away happier than before.

The state is necessary to rein in the excesses of capitalism.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
26-02-2013, 06:57 PM
(26-02-2013 06:52 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(26-02-2013 06:39 PM)bbeljefe Wrote:  How in the hell does capitalism have the first thing to do with the government going around pointing guns at people and telling them what they can and cannot do?

The state is necessary to rein in the excesses of capitalism.
The problems are with that are "Who decides what is excess?", "How did those people get appointed to determine the what is excessive?", "How do you keep these appointed people honest?". Historically we haven't been so good at answering these questions to the peoples satisfaction.

26-02-2013, 07:02 PM

Many capitalist countries are and have been dictatorships, and many of these are nice and cozy friends of the capitalist west. Do you read history? Read news papers? Live on planet earth?
26-02-2013, 07:05 PM
Aww man, I&I is back, I was kind of hoping you found a hobby, or died or something. Please name a dictatorship that has not interfered with free-market economics, just one.

26-02-2013, 07:17 PM
"The state is necessary to rein in the excesses of capitalism."

Oh, it's you again. How you doing today Ambiguous Assertions Guy? Undecided