Aristotle's Eudaimonia

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-08-2012, 01:06 PM
Question Aristotle's Eudaimonia
Philosophers have always struggled with trying to find out the conditions of the good life. Personally, I really like Aristotle's conception of eudaimonia, or human flourishing.

Any thoughts/comments about his conception? Do you see any downfalls?

[Image: pudalo15fa2.png]

Blog.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-08-2012, 04:46 PM
RE: Aristotle's Eudaimonia
In a word, "Moderation".

To live at peace and strive to meet the basic human needs without excess.
This thinking has had a revival today in the face of the population passing 7 billion.
We do know that once a person has meet their basic needs that the extras don't lead to more happiness.

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
[+] 2 users Like Thomas's post
29-08-2012, 02:47 AM
(25-08-2012 01:06 PM)PeacefulSkeptic Wrote:  Philosophers have always struggled with trying to find out the conditions of the good life. Personally, I really like Aristotle's conception of eudaimonia, or human flourishing.

Can you give a bullet summary of your understanding of the concept? I might want to reply to that.
29-08-2012, 04:50 AM
What's all this about Aristotle's ewe's ammonia ?
Oh.....never mind.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
The noblest of the dogs is the hot dog. It feeds the hand that bites it.
29-08-2012, 05:06 AM
(25-08-2012 01:06 PM)PeacefulSkeptic Wrote:  Any thoughts/comments about his conception? Do you see any downfalls?

It is very well thought through... almost perfect... I would go so far as to say it's an immaculate conception.

29-08-2012, 05:08 AM
(29-08-2012 05:06 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(25-08-2012 01:06 PM)PeacefulSkeptic Wrote:  Any thoughts/comments about his conception? Do you see any downfalls?

It is very well thought through... almost perfect... I would go so far as to say it's an immaculate conception.

untill I come along and wreck the whole thing.... Cool

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. -- Voltaire
31-08-2012, 05:48 PM
(29-08-2012 05:06 AM)DLJ Wrote:  

I tend to agree.

Blog.
31-08-2012, 05:49 PM
(29-08-2012 02:47 AM)poolboyg88 Wrote:  
(25-08-2012 01:06 PM)PeacefulSkeptic Wrote:  Philosophers have always struggled with trying to find out the conditions of the good life. Personally, I really like Aristotle's conception of eudaimonia, or human flourishing.

Can you give a bullet summary of your understanding of the concept? I might want to reply to that.

That is my understanding of the concept (see link on op)

Blog.
31-05-2013, 06:06 PM (This post was last modified: 31-05-2013 09:32 PM by Hughsie.)
There may be room for other views of Eudemonia, especially as rediscovered in modern science for our times of affluence, than mere stoical moderation.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  What evidence do we have that Aristotle existed? sequoyah 15 818 03-09-2013 02:04 PM
Last Post: f stop