Aristotle's Four Causes

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-12-2016, 12:10 AM
RE: Aristotle's Four Causes
(08-12-2016 10:41 PM)Fireball Wrote:  Facepalm FFS, why is somebody's drunken uncle still allowed to stagger around the forum, puking on the carpet? Does he have a shit ton of money that some one here is going to inherit? Huh

No, he's just an attention whore who we need to stop encouraging.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Reltzik's post
09-12-2016, 09:01 AM
(09-12-2016 12:10 AM)Reltzik Wrote:  
(08-12-2016 10:41 PM)Fireball Wrote:  Facepalm FFS, why is somebody's drunken uncle still allowed to stagger around the forum, puking on the carpet? Does he have a shit ton of money that some one here is going to inherit? Huh

No, he's just an attention whore who we need to stop encouraging.

Yes Duly noted.
09-12-2016, 09:04 AM
(08-12-2016 11:37 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  
(08-12-2016 02:25 AM)theBorg Wrote:  Dear friends, please tell me the place of the original debate. I think, this is ripped from the necessary context.
The Athenian academy?

The western world got too caught up in just accepting aristotle as grand gospel in these ways that it held back a lot of better inquiry for too long. His natural philosophy topics aren't much of anything of reality touching.

Now aristotle on friendship and love is more interesting philosophizing.

Adherence to Aristotelian "physics" set science back many centuries. His theory of "affinity of objects" (gravity) would have been turned on its ear had he dropped a flat papyrus sheet and then balled it up and dropped it again. But, nooooo, experiments are unnecessary. Dodgy
09-12-2016, 09:35 AM
(08-12-2016 09:56 PM)theBorg Wrote:  
(08-12-2016 05:45 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Ask them why Aristotle called it "final cause" instead of "original cause". That'll keep 'em busy long enough to make your escape.

But you know the secret answer?

There is no spoon.

#sigh
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
10-12-2016, 04:35 AM
(09-12-2016 09:35 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(08-12-2016 09:56 PM)theBorg Wrote:  But you know the secret answer?

There is no spoon.

I am not getting it: "the final thing is not the original thing, because there is no spoon." Could we talk about this? I like to get knowledge.
10-12-2016, 05:50 AM
(10-12-2016 04:35 AM)theBorg Wrote:  
(09-12-2016 09:35 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  There is no spoon.

I am not getting it: "the final thing is not the original thing, because there is no spoon." Could we talk about this? I like to get knowledge.

You wouldn't do anything useful with it except troll more.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 2 users Like TheInquisition's post
10-12-2016, 08:05 AM
(10-12-2016 04:35 AM)theBorg Wrote:  
(09-12-2016 09:35 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  There is no spoon.

Of course unenlightened comrade. We talk after you watch. Big Grin

#sigh
11-12-2016, 07:04 PM
(10-12-2016 08:05 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(10-12-2016 04:35 AM)theBorg Wrote:  I am not getting it: "the final thing is not the original thing, because there is no spoon." Could we talk about this? I like to get knowledge.

Of course unenlightened comrade. We talk after you watch. Big Grin

1) Thank you, friend, for recent like. 2) a human is an instrument for measurements. For example, S.Hawking has discovered the Hawking radiation (however we hardly can repeat his calculations). So, we trust the report of this living "instrument". The stylish actor in the film sees the spoon, touches it, and commands it to deform. So, he, as instrument, reports the existence of the spoon. And the True God is perfectly real to my friends, when a drunken theists would catch you in a forest and bit you up, until you sing with them "Amazing Grace!"
11-12-2016, 08:28 PM
(11-12-2016 07:04 PM)theBorg Wrote:  2) a human is an instrument for measurements.

And the transducer always distorts the signal. Like by definition.

#sigh
11-12-2016, 08:33 PM
(11-12-2016 07:04 PM)theBorg Wrote:  
(10-12-2016 08:05 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Of course unenlightened comrade. We talk after you watch. Big Grin

1) Thank you, friend, for recent like. 2) a human is an instrument for measurements. For example, S.Hawking has discovered the Hawking radiation (however we hardly can repeat his calculations). So, we trust the report of this living "instrument". The stylish actor in the film sees the spoon, touches it, and commands it to deform. So, he, as instrument, reports the existence of the spoon. And the True God is perfectly real to my friends, when a drunken theists would catch you in a forest and bit you up, until you sing with them "Amazing Grace!"

Paging doctor Bucky to make a great response to this nonsense! Paging Doctor Bucky...