Arizona Inmates on Bread & Water for defacing flag

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
24-01-2014, 07:02 AM
arizona sheriff nutjub

From the article:
Quote:A diet of bread and water is the punishment for dozens of Arizona inmates who allegedly defaced American flags placed in their jail cells.
The 38 male inmates are part of the Maricopa County jail system, which is under the control of controversial sheriff Joe Arpaio.
For their alleged unpatriotic acts, the sheriff said Thursday, they'll survive on bread and water for seven days.
"These inmates have destroyed the American flag that was placed in their cells," Arpaio said. "Tearing them, writing on them, stepping on them, throwing them in the toilet, trash or wherever they feel. It's a disgrace ... this is government property that they are destroying, and we will take action against those who act this way."
The flags are part of a push for patriotism in county jail cells that includes listening to the "Star-Spangled Banner" every morning and "God Bless America" every night over the intercom system.

anyone else see a couple problems with this picture?

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like Bows and Arrows's post
24-01-2014, 07:20 AM
RE: Arizona Inmates on Bread & Water for defacing flag
Authoritarian asshole. Anyone who doesn't think like me will be punished. Thinking like me means blindly caring about symbols like flags and anthems and calling it patriotism.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post
24-01-2014, 07:29 AM
someone correct me if I'm wrong….

bread and water- I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume that prisons must not only provide food, but it also has to be nutritionally balanced meals? So would this fall under cruel and unusual punishment?

defacing the flag- I thought we determined long ago, that flag defacing is a form of speech protected under the 1st amendment

God Bless America- an argument could be made on the religion issue.

lawyer buffet -- yep, that's what it is.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 1 user Likes Bows and Arrows's post
24-01-2014, 09:58 AM
Just a few quotes that came to mind when reading this:

"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time and your government when it deserves it."
~Mark Twain

"Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all others because you were born in it."
~George Bernard Shaw

Atir aissom atir imon
[+] 1 user Likes Im_Ryan's post
24-01-2014, 10:58 AM
Inmates do not have the right to destroy government property.

Bread & water? Damn. That's harsh. Do they get peanut butter?
24-01-2014, 11:02 AM
Arpio is a moron. He plays well with the rubes though.

If someone ends up in prison that does not mean some yahoo with a badge gets to do what he wants to them.

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
[+] 2 users Like KidCharlemagne1962's post
24-01-2014, 11:04 AM
Sounds like brainwashing

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

24-01-2014, 05:42 PM
Sheriff Shitstain is a nothing more than a school yard bully. A lot of cops are like him these days.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 1 user Likes Minimalist's post
24-01-2014, 05:54 PM
Quote:“A genius doesn't adjust his treatment of a theme to a tyrant's taste”

From Aleksander Solzhenitsyns novel: One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich

[Image: RPYH95t.png]
24-01-2014, 06:51 PM
I absolutely believe Arpaio knew what was going to happen when those flags were hung. He runs one of the most brutal prisons in the country. Many will argue the most brutal.

While reading this, I remembered back to the 60s and what was happening in Vietnam, American reactions, and in America's southern states. I began thinking how far people have to be pushed by authority for flag burning to start. Flag burning has been one of American's most notable protests against unjust authorities, and it is not common.

About Sheriff Joe Arpaio:

"He started the nation’s largest Tent City for convicted inmates. Two thousand convicted men and women serve their sentences in a canvas incarceration compound." Average Temperature 5 month a year--100 - 110 degrees.

"Of equal success and notoriety are his chain gangs, which contribute thousands of dollars of free labor to the community. The male chain gang, and the world’s first-ever female and juvenile chain gangs, clean streets, paint over graffiti, and bury the indigent in the county cemetery." I don't personally object to the chain gangs; however, long hard work in brutal temperatures require decent meals and sufficient caloric intake.

"He has the cheapest meals in the U.S. too. The average meal costs between 15 and 40 cents, and inmates are fed only twice daily, to cut the labor costs of meal delivery. He even stopped serving them salt and pepper to save tax payers $20,000 a year."

"Another program Arpaio is very well known for is the pink underwear he makes all inmates wear," also pink handcuffs." The use of pink, as all you guys know, is a personal degradation.

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, on where you stop your story." Orson Welles