Arizona, the Bible to be taught in public schools

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-04-2012, 07:46 AM (This post was last modified: 16-04-2012 07:50 AM by NotSoVacuous.)
Arizona, the Bible to be taught in public schools
Edit: Sorry, I this has already been passed through the House and Senate. Yay...

Obvious problems:

>Public schools, so tax payer money
>Christian Bible, while neglecting others

Thus, this is a serious breach of the Establishment clause. And, as always, the religious are having a hard time understanding that.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/04/12...22129.html

"We Humans are capable of greatness." -Carl Sagan
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-04-2012, 08:07 AM
RE: Arizona, the Bible to be taught in public schools

[Image: opforum1.png]
[+] 1 user Likes frankiej's post
16-04-2012, 09:04 AM
(16-04-2012 07:46 AM)NotSoVacuous Wrote:  Edit: Sorry, I this has already been passed through the House and Senate. Yay...

Obvious problems:

>Public schools, so tax payer money
>Christian Bible, while neglecting others

Thus, this is a serious breach of the Establishment clause. And, as always, the religious are having a hard time understanding that.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/04/12...22129.html

First, it's an elective. Second, it's more of a Bible history course.
Third, I am still (obviously) vehemently opposed to this.

This legislation was brought up in the "Crazy Arizona" thread:

January 18, 2012: House Bill 2563, sponsored by Rep. Terri Proud, R-Tucson, allows public and charter schools to offer a high-school elective called "The Bible and Its Influence on Western Culture." The course must address the influence of the Old and the New Testaments on laws, history, government, literature, art, music, customs, morals, values and culture. In an email, Proud seems to be promoting her bill to teach the Bible by saying high school students who have biblical knowledge have higher GPAs than the average student who doesn’t read the Bible.

[Image: 0832984001338019225.gif]
16-04-2012, 01:59 PM
Are there others sources besides the one listed? Just asking..... sometimes hear a lot of this stuff here or there and come to find there is not a lot of truth to it.
Not to pun any Obama supporters here, but found a link that stated something about him possibly being impeached. Yet go to look up other resources and you just find it is a lot of likely wishful thinking of a number of people.

A man's greatest pitfall is none other than himself. For only he can dig himself a hole he cannot get out of.
16-04-2012, 02:20 PM
Sinner, it's got a bill number and it's been voted on. Can't get much more definite than that Wink The article links to sources too.
(edited to add smiley 'cos don't wanna be all down on you Tongue)

Hard to believe but ja, these things happen Tongue

I love this quote:
Quote:"There are people out there who hate the Bible and everything about it. That's fine, but don't deprive our children of biblical literature because of your personal feelings."
Missing the point. Public school. If you don't wanna deprive the little kiddies then you can't deprive them of the glories of the Koran or the God Delusion either. EEeeeeequal treatment for religion, and no religion is more equal than others.
16-04-2012, 02:22 PM
(16-04-2012 02:20 PM)morondog Wrote:  Sinner, it's got a bill number and it's been voted on. Can't get much more definite than that Wink The article links to sources too.

I love this quote:
Quote:"There are people out there who hate the Bible and everything about it. That's fine, but don't deprive our children of biblical literature because of your personal feelings."
Missing the point. Public school. If you don't wanna deprive the little kiddies then you can't deprive them of the glories of the Koran or the God Delusion either. EEeeeeequal treatment for religion, and no religion is more equal than others.
This is an elective...they are doing electives now outside of college? When...wow...so behind the times. When did this happen? Hope this is an elective and not a required course. Pushing beliefs is not going to do anything but cause resentment.

A man's greatest pitfall is none other than himself. For only he can dig himself a hole he cannot get out of.
16-04-2012, 02:23 PM
(16-04-2012 02:22 PM)AnotherSinner Wrote:  
(16-04-2012 02:20 PM)morondog Wrote:  Sinner, it's got a bill number and it's been voted on. Can't get much more definite than that Wink The article links to sources too.

I love this quote:Missing the point. Public school. If you don't wanna deprive the little kiddies then you can't deprive them of the glories of the Koran or the God Delusion either. EEeeeeequal treatment for religion, and no religion is more equal than others.
This is an elective...they are doing electives now outside of college? When...wow...so behind the times. When did this happen? Hope this is an elective and not a required course. Pushing beliefs is not going to do anything but cause resentment.
OK so I derped Tongue
16-04-2012, 02:34 PM
Even if it is an elective... is it all that surprising? Is it even anything new? Neil Degrasse Tyson has been speaking out against religious intrusion upon science for awhile now.

I remember an interview in which Richard Dawkins was speaking with some blonde lady who was trying to get schools to discuss what she felt were "flaws" in evolution. To counter, we should really go to churches and get them to preach the flaws in their religion. It's only fair. You know... do unto others as you would have them do unto you?
16-04-2012, 03:06 PM
Curious more than anything, but as it says "bible" are they going to limit it to the christian bible, also include the jewish bible, or include any religion's "bible"--the link I believe did say they weren't going to require a specific version (and the course title is vague--probably because they know it has to be), however it did say that it would cover the old and new testament which makes "version" seem to be "any christian version" (although it'd be funny if some student had the catholic's bible, as it has more books in it--I know I have two copies of it for any discussions with theists, it's fun having them try and find maccabees [generally.... they could have it depending on the age/translation of the bible they have]).

Then again, if it's the bible, and they only want the christian, that would seem to be using some loophole to teach the christian viewpoint over others.... but maybe not. OK, in theory they might not, but I don't trust the religious to teach it without potentially violating a law. Perhaps all religion-like classes in schools should be taught by atheists?
16-04-2012, 04:53 PM
(16-04-2012 03:06 PM)elemts Wrote:  Curious more than anything, but as it says "bible" are they going to limit it to the christian bible, also include the jewish bible, or include any religion's "bible"--the link I believe did say they weren't going to require a specific version (and the course title is vague--probably because they know it has to be), however it did say that it would cover the old and new testament which makes "version" seem to be "any christian version" (although it'd be funny if some student had the catholic's bible, as it has more books in it--I know I have two copies of it for any discussions with theists, it's fun having them try and find maccabees [generally.... they could have it depending on the age/translation of the bible they have]).

Then again, if it's the bible, and they only want the christian, that would seem to be using some loophole to teach the christian viewpoint over others.... but maybe not. OK, in theory they might not, but I don't trust the religious to teach it without potentially violating a law. Perhaps all religion-like classes in schools should be taught by atheists?
No matter how this one is spun....no matter what religion would be promoted, or lack thereof....someone would be upset. Simply put...there is no pleasing everyone. Right?