Ark encounter

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-03-2017, 06:14 PM
RE: Ark encounter
(10-03-2017 11:12 AM)Silly Deity Wrote:  Ken Sham's Ark Encounter seems to be floundering.

https://thehumanist.com/features/article...didnt-come

Sad that the local community was hoodwinked by this fraudster and his cronies.

> Do you have any figures on the attendance numbers over the past few months?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Gwaithmir's post
10-03-2017, 06:19 PM
(10-03-2017 06:14 PM)Gwaithmir Wrote:  > Do you have any figures on the attendance numbers over the past few months?

Sorry for the derail here but I've been wondering since you joined... are you using some strange interface to post? Why do all your paragraphs start with '>'? It's bringing back USENET nightmares!

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
10-03-2017, 06:31 PM
(10-03-2017 06:19 PM)unfogged Wrote:  
(10-03-2017 06:14 PM)Gwaithmir Wrote:  > Do you have any figures on the attendance numbers over the past few months?

Sorry for the derail here but I've been wondering since you joined... are you using some strange interface to post? Why do all your paragraphs start with '>'? It's bringing back USENET nightmares!

Sorry, it's a habit I acquired over at the Amazon forums. I wear bifocals. The > was to readily separate my posts from quotes of other participants' posts I was responding to. I have no idea what USENET is.
[+] 2 users Like Gwaithmir's post
10-03-2017, 06:40 PM
(10-03-2017 06:31 PM)Gwaithmir Wrote:  
(10-03-2017 06:19 PM)unfogged Wrote:  Sorry for the derail here but I've been wondering since you joined... are you using some strange interface to post? Why do all your paragraphs start with '>'? It's bringing back USENET nightmares!

Sorry, it's a habit I acquired over at the Amazon forums. I wear bifocals. The > was to readily separate my posts from quotes of other participants' posts I was responding to. I have no idea what USENET is.

No need to apologize... I was just wondering since it looked "odd". You can use the 'preview post' option to see what your post will look like with all the quotes and other codes as they will look. If > works for you then do that (not that you need my permission of course).

USENET was a set of early internet forums and often quoted text was preceded by > on each line so it was kind of the opposite of how you use it. It's still around but I haven't been out there for many years now.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread...

I've tried to find Ark Encounter numbers but there's nothing as far as I can tell. That tells me it may be doing fairly poorly since if it was going well Ham would be issuing press releases about how god was winning.

[+] 2 users Like unfogged's post
11-03-2017, 07:43 AM
(10-03-2017 06:40 PM)unfogged Wrote:  USENET was a set of early internet forums and often quoted text was preceded by > on each line so it was kind of the opposite of how you use it. It's still around but I haven't been out there for many years now.

Showing your age mate. Big Grin

I love the 1992 description by Gene Spafford...

"Usenet is like a herd of performing elephants with diarrhea.
Massive, difficult to redirect, awe-inspiring, entertaining,
and a source of mind-boggling amounts of excrement when
you least expect it."

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post
11-03-2017, 10:30 PM
UseNet formatted for your nostalgia.

On 10-03-2017 20:40 unfogged Wrote:
> On 10-03-2017 20:31 Gwaithmir Wrote:
>> On 10-03-2017 20:19 unfogged Wrote:

>>> Sorry for the derail here but I've been wondering since you joined... are
>>> you using some strange interface to post? Why do all your paragraphs start
>>> with '>'? It's bringing back USENET nightmares!
>>>
>>
>> Sorry, it's a habit I acquired over at the Amazon forums. I wear bifocals. The >
>> was to readily separate my posts from quotes of other participants' posts I was
>> responding to. I have no idea what USENET is.
>>
>
> No need to apologize... I was just wondering since it looked "odd". You can use the
> 'preview post' option to see what your post will look like with all the quotes and
> other codes as they will look. If > works for you then do that (not that you need
> my permission of course).
>
> USENET was a set of early internet forums and often quoted text was preceded by
> > on each line so it was kind of the opposite of how you use it. It's still around but I
> haven't been out there for many years now.
>
> We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread...

Fun fact, you can still find forums that use this format. Blink

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 2 users Like Paleophyte's post
12-03-2017, 06:56 AM
(11-03-2017 10:30 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  UseNet formatted for your nostalgia.

On 10-03-2017 20:40 unfogged Wrote:
> On 10-03-2017 20:31 Gwaithmir Wrote:
>> On 10-03-2017 20:19 unfogged Wrote:

>>> Sorry for the derail here but I've been wondering since you joined... are
>>> you using some strange interface to post? Why do all your paragraphs start
>>> with '>'? It's bringing back USENET nightmares!
>>>
>>
>> Sorry, it's a habit I acquired over at the Amazon forums. I wear bifocals. The >
>> was to readily separate my posts from quotes of other participants' posts I was
>> responding to. I have no idea what USENET is.
>>
>
> No need to apologize... I was just wondering since it looked "odd". You can use the
> 'preview post' option to see what your post will look like with all the quotes and
> other codes as they will look. If > works for you then do that (not that you need
> my permission of course).
>
> USENET was a set of early internet forums and often quoted text was preceded by
> > on each line so it was kind of the opposite of how you use it. It's still around but I
> haven't been out there for many years now.
>
> We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread...

Fun fact, you can still find forums that use this format. Blink

Exactly how much free time DO you have?
Big Grin

12-03-2017, 07:23 AM
(11-03-2017 07:43 AM)SYZ Wrote:  
(10-03-2017 06:40 PM)unfogged Wrote:  USENET was a set of early internet forums and often quoted text was preceded by > on each line so it was kind of the opposite of how you use it. It's still around but I haven't been out there for many years now.

Showing your age mate. Big Grin

I love the 1992 description by Gene Spafford...

"Usenet is like a herd of performing elephants with diarrhea.
Massive, difficult to redirect, awe-inspiring, entertaining,
and a source of mind-boggling amounts of excrement when
you least expect it."

Who can forget alt.ensign.wesley.die.die.die.die.die.die.die.die.die.die
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Gawdzilla's post
13-03-2017, 05:47 AM
A friend of mine copped so much flak when his subscription to alt.sex.plushies was discovered.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
13-03-2017, 01:31 PM
(10-10-2016 03:25 AM)Silly Deity Wrote:  Dan Phelps, President of the Kentucky Paleontological Society, invites us to watch a YouTube presentation of a paper he and his colleagues, Kent Ratajeski and Joel Duff, presented at the recent national meeting of the Geographical Society of America. Watch it and, as Professor Ratajeski says, you can save the $40 admission fee, plus the $10 parking fee. And you will also find certain creationist myths debunked by these scientists, two of whom, Professors Ratajeski and Duff, are themselves evangelical Christians and can talk to creationists on their own terms. Here is what was received from Mr. Phelps:

Quote:Since I am a long-time critic of creationism and the Ark here in Kentucky and had visited the park on opening day, I was invited to give a talk on the Ark Park at a special session at the Geological Society of America national meeting in Denver late last month. Unfortunately, I couldn’t attend the meeting because I had used a number of vacation days on my recent trip to Svalbard, Norway. Therefore, I teamed up with Dr. Kent Ratajeski, a geologist and (evangelical Christian) from the University of Kentucky Department of Earth and Environmental Sciences. He presented the Ark talk at GSA and put together on the attached YouTube video after he returned from the meeting. Although I am not religious, it was great to work with Drs. Ratajeski and [Joel] Duff on alerting the geological community about the remarkable non-science and anti-science being promoted with the aid of tax incentives here in Kentucky. It is very important to work with members of the religious community that are aghast at what Ken Ham and his fellow young earth creationists do to misrepresent not only science, but also religion. The attached YouTube video is Dr. Ratajeski reading his talk and showing the PowerPoint slides. This isn’t him at the meeting itself, since rules prohibit GSA talks from being recorded at meetings.

A coworker and I were just discussing how we wished we could convince the university to give us money to fly to Kentucky and go through Ark Encounter and the Creation Museum for something like this video, and claim we were doing "participant observation research" and a side ethnography of the visitors, to be able to go, and then discuss in a paper how it undermines data driven research's efficacy to the public in an era of "alternative facts".

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Shai Hulud's post