Ark encounter

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-06-2016, 09:32 AM (This post was last modified: 02-06-2016 09:57 AM by morondog.)
RE: Ark encounter
If you were God, had created the world and now wanted to wipe out humanity... and were all-powerful. Nothing too difficult. If you want to count sand grains on a beach you can, in the blink of an eye. If you want to lob a star from one galaxy to another you can.

WHY would you decide that the best way to preserve the lives of the animals that you spent so long carefully creating is a bleedin' boat plus some old fool and his family??? For FUCK's sake.

And people believe this ridiculous tale to the point that they will build a fucking "replica"? Jesus FUCKING Christ Facepalm Only in America.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like morondog's post
02-06-2016, 10:53 AM
(01-06-2016 07:52 AM)theophilus Wrote:  As many of you know, the organization Answers in Genesis is building a full size replica of Noah’s ark.
Is it anything like the replica of the Jolly Roger, captain Hook's ship from the Peter Pan story? Both have the same origins in fantasy fiction.

Quote:The flood lasted just a little over one year, but during that year the rapid burial of living creatures produced most of the fossils we find today and the geography of the earth was changed.
Lake Hume, Eildon Weir, and the Franklin Dam (all man-made and in Australia) were flooded decades ago, and each (unfortunately) caused the deaths of many living creatures. How would you explain the fact that none of those drowned animals has been identified as fossils?

Quote:Knowing whether the flood occurred is essential to accurately measuring the age of the earth.
In what way exactly?

Quote:On the other hand, if there was a flood it is possible that the earth is only a few thousand years old, as the Bible says.
See Ockham's Razor (or the law of parsimony).

Quote:Knowing there was a flood not only shows that the earth is younger than most people believe but it also shows that God is concerned about the way we live and will judge us. The rainbow is a sign that God will never send a flood that will destroy all life on earth. The next judgment will be by fire.
Sorry, but you've created a non sequitur by presupposing that the flood actually occurred. You've neglected to provide any evidence for that claim. And if you seriously think a rainbow is a "sign" from your god, then you're delusional. BTW, can you name any paleontologists, geologists, oceanographers or geophysicists who believe that the planet is only 6,000 years old?

Quote:The purpose of the ark replica is to provide proof that the story of the flood is true.
LOL... so if you build a model of an imaginary thing, then that "proves" its purported existence in the real world? Just like captain Hook's ship at Disneyland? Oh dear.

Quote:Here is some more information about the ark and the flood on the Answers in Genesis website.
Please don't waste our time citing AiG. I suggest you have a look at THIS site and get back to us.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 4 users Like SYZ's post
02-06-2016, 11:16 AM
(01-06-2016 11:59 AM)pablo Wrote:  
(01-06-2016 11:35 AM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  I can't believe that anyone hasn't pointed out that Ham, using an army or workers, modern tools and techniques, took longer to build this monstrosity than the babble says it took a 600 year old man and his century-old boys to build. Ham is actually disproving his own story but is too deluded to see that.

See post #7. Tongue

Shit Pablo, you don't count. Tongue

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
02-06-2016, 11:24 AM
(01-06-2016 02:14 PM)theophilus Wrote:  
(01-06-2016 11:35 AM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  I can't believe that anyone hasn't pointed out that Ham, using an army or workers, modern tools and techniques, took longer to build this monstrosity than the babble says it took a 600 year old man and his century-old boys to build. Ham is actually disproving his own story but is too deluded to see that.

The Bible indicates it probably took 120 years.

Quote:Then the LORD said, “My Spirit shall not abide in man forever, for he is flesh: his days shall be 120 years.”
(Genesis 6:3 ESV)

That is a lot longs than it took to build the modern ark.

You are retarded. Genesis 6:3 is referring to the age restriction of humans in general after the nephilim piss god off (which is something else god fails at because people have lived longer than 120). This is BEFORE god decides to do the flood which comes in verse 7. He hadn't even told Noah of this yet. Get out of the cherrypicker before you hurt yourself..

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 3 users Like The Organic Chemist's post
02-06-2016, 12:01 PM
Ham's ark has a planned maximum occupancy of 10,000. Impressive.

Noah's ark would have had to carry an estimated 5,416 species of mammals, 8,240 species of reptiles, 6,189 species of amphibians, and at least intermittently 9,956 species of birds. That's 29,801 species. Of course he needs two of each according to most people who never read the story, or some twos and some sevens if the text matters. But let's go with two, and see that Noah needed to house and feed 59,602 of the animal types listed above, in a space that even Ham can't claim will hold more than 10,000 people.

Let that sink in a moment.

Now consider nearly a million species of insects, plus some arachnids, marsupials (because we can't leave the kangaroos behind), etc. etc.

Ham's ark demonstrates that Noah's ark is an impossibility.

Maybe, just maybe, some dude once rode out a big storm and saved his family and flocks on a boat. There could be a tiny grain of truth to the inflated fish-story found in Genesis. But for goodness sake, please do not try to tell us it's accurate journalism.

It is a story. What Ham is making is like what Peter Jackson did with the Shire. He built a close approximation of what a storyteller imagined.
[+] 2 users Like I Am's post
02-06-2016, 12:58 PM
(01-06-2016 07:52 AM)theophilus Wrote:  As many of you know, the organization Answers in Genesis is building a full size replica of Noah’s ark. The ark is almost completed and is scheduled to be open to visitors on July 7. You can learn the details at https://arkencounter.com/. The flood lasted just a little over one year, but during that year the rapid burial of living creatures produced most of the fossils we find today and the geography of the earth was changed.

Knowing whether the flood occurred is essential to accurately measuring the age of the earth. If there was no flood then it would have taken millions of years to form the vast number of fossils that we find and to shape the earth into its present condition. On the other hand, if there was a flood it is possible that the earth is only a few thousand years old, as the Bible says.

Knowing there was a flood not only shows that the earth is younger than most people believe but it also shows that God is concerned about the way we live and will judge us. The rainbow is a sign that God will never send a flood that will destroy all life on earth. The next judgment will be by fire.

The purpose of the ark replica is to provide proof that the story of the flood is true. Here is some more information about the ark and the flood on the Answers in Genesis website.

https://answersingenesis.org/search/?csr...ah%27s+ark

https://answersingenesis.org/search/?csr...ll&q=flood

HMMM. I wonder if they built it using authentic tools, techniques and Materials. If they didn't then It not only does not prove there was a flood (total non sequitur) but it also does not even prove that it would have been possible to build such a craft in that time, which I think it would not be. I mean the middle east is not known for large stands of tall timber trees that would be required.

I'm guessing they used modern glu-lam's, metal fasteners, and all sorts of modern materials and heavy machinery to make this gigantic waste of time and money. But it is their money (?). If they want to waste it it's their right.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
02-06-2016, 01:03 PM
(02-06-2016 12:58 PM)true scotsman Wrote:  
(01-06-2016 07:52 AM)theophilus Wrote:  As many of you know, the organization Answers in Genesis is building a full size replica of Noah’s ark. The ark is almost completed and is scheduled to be open to visitors on July 7. You can learn the details at https://arkencounter.com/. The flood lasted just a little over one year, but during that year the rapid burial of living creatures produced most of the fossils we find today and the geography of the earth was changed.

Knowing whether the flood occurred is essential to accurately measuring the age of the earth. If there was no flood then it would have taken millions of years to form the vast number of fossils that we find and to shape the earth into its present condition. On the other hand, if there was a flood it is possible that the earth is only a few thousand years old, as the Bible says.

Knowing there was a flood not only shows that the earth is younger than most people believe but it also shows that God is concerned about the way we live and will judge us. The rainbow is a sign that God will never send a flood that will destroy all life on earth. The next judgment will be by fire.

The purpose of the ark replica is to provide proof that the story of the flood is true. Here is some more information about the ark and the flood on the Answers in Genesis website.

HMMM. I wonder if they built it using authentic tools, techniques and Materials. If they didn't then It not only does not prove there was a flood (total non sequitur) but it also does not even prove that it would have been possible to build such a craft in that time, which I think it would not be. I mean the middle east is not known for large stands of tall timber trees that would be required.

I'm guessing they used modern glu-lam's, metal fasteners, and all sorts of modern materials and heavy machinery to make this gigantic waste of time and money. But it is their money (?). If they want to waste it it's their right.

The Hebrews and Babylonians were non sea-faring peoples. These skills develop over millennia. It's simply not in the realm of possibility.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
02-06-2016, 01:28 PM
Poor Theo,

Would be shocked to learn that the 'pagan' Celsus had a higher opinion of 'god' than he does.

Quote:"God does not inflict correction on the world as if he were some unskilled laborer who is incapable of building something properly the first time around; God has no need to purify what he has built by means of a flood or a conflagration (as they teach)."

c 180 AD

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 4 users Like Minimalist's post
02-06-2016, 07:31 PM
(02-06-2016 12:58 PM)true scotsman Wrote:  

I'll default to what modern nautical engineers who actually built the 329 foot wooden ship Wyoming have to say:

The impossible voyage of Noah's ark.

TL;DR version - no it's not remotely possible even with modern shipbuilding techniques coupled with steel braces. IT WILL NOT FLOAT, and anything that says it's possible is telling a fairy tale.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 1 user Likes TheInquisition's post
02-06-2016, 08:11 PM
There is this Dutch shithead who built another "replica" which is more of a "caricature"

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2016/05/01/...ricas.html

Quote:At 410 feet long, 95 feet wide and 75 feet high, the ark is half the size of the specifications described in the Bible. It is made of cedar and pine and was built atop a steel barge in the river port of Schagen, some 30 miles north of Amsterdam. Since its completion, it has been towed by canal tugboats to Rotterdam and Arnhem, as well as to its current base.

Apparently, his faith is a tad weak!

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 1 user Likes Minimalist's post