Armageddon meteor barely misses earth... yearly

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-05-2011, 06:51 PM
Armageddon meteor barely misses earth... yearly
I heard someone on youtube say something about a recent "life ending meteorite" that we didn't see until it was already past us. So I googled something like "asteroid misses earth" and variations of the term and discovered that earth is playing a yearly game of dodgeball with random meteorites, some of which are big enough to completely destroy us. And "scientists say that 50 foot sized asteroids nearly hit earth almost daily." And you never hear about it in the news.

For example, February of this year, an asteroid called 2011 CQ1 came so close to earth (7,000 miles away) that the earth's gravity changed the asteroid's trajectory by 60 degrees. 2006 VV2 would've destroyed a country the size of Britain and came within "the distance to the moon" times 9 which is close for space terms. 2009 DD45 missed us by 45,000 (1/5 the distance to the moon).

Most of these aren't life threatening, but it's slightly unnerving to dwell on how much of a shooting gallery earth is. Here's some fun projected dates of future asteroids. http://neo.jpl.nasa.gov/risk/2004fu162.html

Any bets on whether we'll be wiped out by a meteor or war first?

Some random pictures of passing asteroids, aka meteorites, aka comets:

[Image: comet_1.jpg]

[Image: 6a00d8341bf7f753ef0133ec8d6aef970b-500wi]

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-05-2011, 07:41 PM

RE: Armageddon meteor barely misses earth... yearly
Love the pictures. Smile
Well, if a meteorite crashed into earth and caused the extinction of the Dinosaurs, as many believe, what's to say we won't suffer the same fate?

Personally, it's outside of my control. So all I can do is go along for the ride. Saying that, as long as I have a front row seat to the light show, I'm ready. It's not like I'd have a choice not to be, after all.

What is it about May? May 21, 2011 rapture day. May 27, 2012, the final judgment when man's self-reign will come to an end! But what's to rule over when May 21st and October 21st 2011 have already come and gone. Between the rapture and the end of the world, isn't that prophecy about 2012 a bit optimistic? Tongue

You know it's all true, because it's in a book. Authored after very careful research. (LINK) Sort of like the Bible. Only not. Big Grin

*edit*
My sound card still is on the fritz, but I had to add this just because the title is so perfect for this thread. Wink
Illuminati Doomsday Meteor Strike WW3 Armageddon End Times Prophecy 2011 2012 2013 2014

Quote this message in a reply
12-05-2011, 10:47 PM
I don't fear the Armageddon meteorite as long a s Bruce Willis is alive. Big Grin

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
13-05-2011, 02:11 AM

There's still the chance we might get hit by apophis! Guess we'll have to wait until 2029 and see Tongue

13-05-2011, 05:02 AM
Clearly, these asteroids should convince all atheists that the universe was created by an intelligent designer Big Grin

"Infinitus est numerus stultorum." (The number of fools is infinite)
13-05-2011, 08:11 AM

During periods that I turn nocturnal (my sleep cycle is.. well... not a cycle at all) I enjoy driving to a nearby mountain top that obscures the lights of Athens and watching the sky for meteors and other stuff burning in the atmosphere.

The most amazing thing I've ever seen was in the summer of 2008 in central Greece. I was at the balcony with a friend and around 2am, a meteor exploded in the atmosphere in green fragments. About 20 minutes later another one of similar color did the same.

It was amazing. It was not the typical "starfall" that burns slowly by touching the upper levels of the atmosphere. Those two were actually heading to earth in freefall mode. Awesome stuff but probably too small to allow any of the frags to reach the ground.
Blush
13-05-2011, 09:20 AM
Luckily for us Earthlings, we have Jupiter which acts like a giant magnet for a lot of the bigger things out there that can hurt us. Jupiter's gravity sucks up a lot of these things and provides us some protection. Not 100% obviously, as the dinosaurs can attest to, but I know in the past it has sucked up other comets and asteroids that could otherwise have pulped us.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
13-05-2011, 10:02 AM

(13-05-2011 05:02 AM)Thammuz Wrote:  Clearly, these asteroids should convince all atheists that the universe was created by an intelligent designer Big Grin

Pishaw! Silly person! If that was true she'd steer them better and right now my house would be on beach front property!Tongue
18-05-2011, 02:23 AM
Its gunna suck if a massive meteor hits earth on may 21st.

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo

"Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do." - Voltaire
18-05-2011, 12:23 PM

I'll make sure to wear my helmet on the 21st so that if the meteor hits, my head will be protected.