Arminianisn and Calvinism.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-01-2012, 04:07 PM (This post was last modified: 09-01-2012 12:15 AM by Mr Woof.)
Arminianisn and Calvinism.
There are two distinct lines of thinking relating to the human condition to be found in these largely opposing doctrines, both of which are expressed since the earliest times of Christianity.

Arminianism the position held by old time Bible thumper Billy Graham holds that the death of Jesus provided a second chance for all sinners who, by faith in Him, maintained or reaffirmed, would be judged favourably. The Bible also tells us that faith without works is dead a statement that seems to nullify the faith alone contention. Paul was critical of the Galatians because he saw them placing works ahead of the saving grace provides by Jesus. Works and faith have always been a contentious issue

Calvinism is really a misnomer as many better known teachers such as Augustine and Aquinas had more or less supported this line of thinking; though of course, many current theologians will read something quite different into the messages rendered. Essentially Calvinism holds that a select group are earmarked for Eternal life or Hell and that all the scraping and bowing, good will and deeds of the infidels matter not one iota. Those living now who think they are saved can lord it over other Christians while other less egotistical ones can only hope that they won a ticket in the raffle.

The danger in Arminianism is the idea of having a direct link to Jesus via the holy spirit and the possibility of becoming quite psychotic as a result of this occult link.
As for Calvinism, when it is all boiled down Christian charitable works become a farce, as by helping the unsaved you are only prolonging the journey to Hell

I see emphasis on both these highly disturbing views as counterproductive in the good secular works performed by many Christians who utilize the Church in order to do some good in the here and now and who are not obsessed with depraved and worrisome teachings of unknowable netherworlds.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-01-2012, 05:44 PM
RE: Arminianisn and Calvinism.
im waiting for KC to respond to this Big Grin

"Yeah, good idea. Make them buy your invisible apple. Insist that they do. Market it properly and don't stop until they pay for it." -Malleus
09-01-2012, 12:21 AM
[quote='Jackrabbit' pid='68933' dateline='1326066265']
im waiting for KC to respond to this Big Grin
Hi Jackrabbit
AS one of God's chosen elite I am sure K.C . will have the answer to a mere mortal such as myself. Wink
09-01-2012, 08:04 AM
I'm Arminian and as for the debate about works and faith, I think C.S. Lewis had it right when he said "Regarding the debate about faith and works: It’s like asking which blade in a pair of scissors is most important."

James 1:27
"Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world"

"Atheists express their rage against God although in their view He does not exist." C.S. Lewis
09-01-2012, 08:22 AM
So, what exactly is the question?

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
09-01-2012, 09:00 AM
I did some reading on wikipedia about Arminianism vs Calvinism but it's all gone Sad

Something about 4,5,6 point Calvinists Huh What are those?

I can see the split is pretty deep, unlike say the split between Baptists and Pentecostals (what exactly is the diff anyway?) or whatever other wacky varieties there are... I mean it's:
a. free will and hope for everyone and bunny rabbits.
b. no free will no hope only certainty and shoot the bunnies.

Of course a is nicer but the problem is you don't get to choose what's truth - truth is truth so if indeed the bunny gets it that's just how things are and we gotta live with it...

No idea what the question is but I think you and Sharks9 should have a gladiator fight Smile
09-01-2012, 09:04 AM (This post was last modified: 09-01-2012 09:10 AM by kingschosen.)
(09-01-2012 08:04 AM)Sharks9 Wrote:  I'm Arminian and as for the debate about works and faith, I think C.S. Lewis had it right when he said "Regarding the debate about faith and works: It’s like asking which blade in a pair of scissors is most important."

Pretty much this. The belief systems don't affect salvation.
(09-01-2012 09:00 AM)morondog Wrote:  I did some reading on wikipedia about Arminianism vs Calvinism but it's all gone Sad

Something about 4,5,6 point Calvinists Huh What are those?

TULIP

Quote:I can see the split is pretty deep, unlike say the split between Baptists and Pentecostals (what exactly is the diff anyway?)

Pentecostals differ in that they believe in a more charismatic form of Christianity and that speaking in tongues is essential to salvation.

Quote: or whatever other wacky varieties there are... I mean it's:
a. free will and hope for everyone and bunny rabbits.
b. no free will no hope only certainty and shoot the bunnies.

I mean, that's pretty stripped down; the theology is more complicated than that. But yeah, if you wanted to keep it simple, I suppose.

Quote:No idea what the question is but I think you and Sharks9 should have a gladiator fight Smile

hahaha, not one to brag, but he better come prepared. I've slain many an Arminian in the Arena of Bible Fights.

Big Grin

09-01-2012, 09:55 AM
(09-01-2012 09:04 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
Quote:No idea what the question is but I think you and Sharks9 should have a gladiator fight Smile

hahaha, not one to brag, but he better come prepared. I've slain many an Arminian in the Arena of Bible Fights.

Big Grin

Now that would be entertaining! We should charge admission and sell popcorn Smile

"Like" my Facebook page
Brain Droppings Blog
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT16Rq3dAcHhqiAsPC5xUC...oR0pEpxQZw]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-01-2012, 10:32 AM
(09-01-2012 08:04 AM)Sharks9 Wrote:  I'm Arminian and as for the debate about works and faith, I think C.S. Lewis had it right when he said "Regarding the debate about faith and works: It’s like asking which blade in a pair of scissors is most important."

According to what you've said, nothing affects salvation.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
09-01-2012, 10:56 AM (This post was last modified: 09-01-2012 11:10 AM by kingschosen.)
(09-01-2012 10:32 AM)Chas Wrote:  

According to what you've said, nothing affects salvation.

Exactly.
(09-01-2012 09:55 AM)Seasbury Wrote:  

Big Grin

Now that would be entertaining! We should charge admission and sell popcorn Smile

You missed a great opportunity for the popcorn gif.