Army

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-08-2010, 02:21 PM

RE: Army
I am too young to enlist, but me (and most of my friends) thought the army and soldiers are cool and brave, but then after seeing "the hurt locker" and listening to this song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdXq20oJlC00) I have came to the realisation that the military is just something I would not be mentaly capable of.

good luck sir, I hope you come out of the army safe and healthy
Quote this message in a reply
16-08-2010, 05:34 AM
It is madam, but thanks anywaySmile
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-08-2010, 08:15 AM
(13-08-2010 11:04 AM)shiranl Wrote:  Well, on this Wednesday I'm going to enlist to the Israel Defense Force (IDF)

Just don't get shot, mmkay? We'd miss you.

Quote:and since this is so close subjec to me right now (obviously) I wanted to know your thoughts about the military service.

I have nothing against soldiers. In fact, I admire them greatly for their selfless service. I don't always like what they are used for, but that's a problem with the government, not the soldiers themselves.

Quote:Are you soldiers? did you used to be?

No, but my father was, and his brother was in the Navy. It made for some interesting Army-Navy game days.

Quote:did you thought about enlisting the military of your country?

Not me. I'm 6'2", weigh 120 pounds, can barely lift a cardboard box, suffer from asthma, and have 20/140 vision with astigmatism. They'd laugh me out of the recruitment office, even if I weren't a pacifist.

Quote:In Israel the military is "religious friendly" (Jewish religious, of course...) so the kitchen is Kosher and the ones who go to synagogue in the morning for the Shaharit prayer are getting 50 minutes in the morning to do so. 50 minutes which I think I will use, because if you don't- you are doing tasks or sport instead. Is that very hypocrite from my side?

Meh. I could care less, really. They're playing favorites. Exploit it if you want, but be aware that you will probably be caught at some point. I don't know how bad the punishment for that is.

"Sometimes it is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness."
- Terry Pratchett
19-08-2010, 02:23 PM
B'hatzlachah. I have my Tzav Rishon (IDF pre-army testing) this Sunday and if everything works out I will start August 29th.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do about prayers. On one hand it's sitting inside something I don't agree with, but on the other hand if I don't go I'll be cleaning the barracks.
(18-08-2010 08:15 AM)Unbeliever Wrote:  Meh. I could care less, really. They're playing favorites. Exploit it if you want, but be aware that you will probably be caught at some point. I don't know how bad the punishment for that is.
They don't force you to pray and they can't punish you as long as you are awake in the prayer room.

You don't get rich writing science fiction. If you want to get rich, you start a religion. - L. Ron Hubbard (Creater of Scientology)
Find all posts by this user
19-08-2010, 03:45 PM
Oh, well, more power to ya, then.

"Sometimes it is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness."
- Terry Pratchett
20-08-2010, 03:46 PM

You know, if none of the soldiers showed up, there wouldn't be war (or at least leaders would have to battle out their problems themselves).

Here in the US, I am sick and tired of being spoon-fed the notion that our troops are literally sacred and they are dying for our freedom. Oh please....

The last time US troops died for our freedom was in World War 2. Ever since then, they have been sent to die for the interests of the US government, and the corporations that control it. These interests are never in line with the interests of the people.

Do I admire the troops for their selfless service? Perhaps, but I feel as if they are misinformed. If they knew that Saddam Hussein had no connection to al Qaeda and that the invasion of Iraq was illegal, I wonder if I could still respect them. Their motives are certainly noble, but they may be born of ignorance.

If we use the Nuremberg Trials after WW2 as a precedent, then the soldiers on the field are responsible for the crimes of their leaders. In this case, should we still respect the troops? I am discussing only the case of US troops, as the situation may be different in other countries. Here, I feel as if there is a cult of the GI that is often deeply intertwined with religion.
21-08-2010, 08:07 AM
I'm on the same page as TruthAddict.

It was quite a feat of propaganda. During Vietnam, people protested the war and spat on soldiers, holding them responsible for their actions. A deliberate campaign was then launched to ensure neither of those things happened again. Step one was to sanctify the soldiers. Now they're no longer baby-killers, but heroes. You now must support the troops. To besmirch them in any way is equivalent to sedition. Step two was to make protesting the war tantamount to not supporting the troops. "I don't support the war" "well then you don't support the troops." It is an incredibly smart frame that has crushed anti-war sentiment.

That being said, the idea that our gluttonous way of life is at all possible without our state-sponsored gangsters is naive in the extreme.
Quote:I spent 33 years and four months in active military service and during that period I spent most of my time as a high class thug for Big Business, for Wall Street and the bankers. In short, I was a racketeer, a gangster for capitalism. I helped make Mexico and especially Tampico safe for American oil interests in 1914. I helped make Haiti and Cuba a decent place for the National City Bank boys to collect revenues in. I helped in the raping of half a dozen Central American republics for the benefit of Wall Street. I helped purify Nicaragua for the International Banking House of Brown Brothers in 1902–1912. I brought light to the Dominican Republic for the American sugar interests in 1916. I helped make Honduras right for the American fruit companies in 1903. In China in 1927 I helped see to it that Standard Oil went on its way unmolested. Looking back on it, I might have given Al Capone a few hints. The best he could do was to operate his racket in three districts. I operated on three continents.
-Major General Smedley Darlington Butler
We all live off the fat that the army puts on our table. So while I hate war and want it abolished, I know where my dinner comes from.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
21-08-2010, 11:16 AM
It's a totally different situation in Israel. If the soldiers didn't show up, there wouldn't be an Israel. Israel's army has only one objective: the continuation of the State of Israel. The army isn't interested in promoting democracy in a foreign land or capturing natural resources 6000 miles away. It's focus is 100% on protecting the citizens of Israel, hence the name "Israel Defense Forces."

You don't get rich writing science fiction. If you want to get rich, you start a religion. - L. Ron Hubbard (Creater of Scientology)
21-08-2010, 03:03 PM

(13-08-2010 11:04 AM)shiranl Wrote:  Hey everybody, how's the weekend?

Well, on this Wednesday I'm going to enlist to the Israel Defense Force (IDF) and since this is so close subjec to me right now (obviously) I wanted to know your thoughts about the military service. Are you soldiers? did you used to be? did you thought about enlisting the military of your country?
I wish you luck. As a combat vet I've often wondered how great it would be if we had a war and nobody showed up to fight.
23-08-2010, 03:30 AM

hiiiiiiiiii toooooo alllllllll.............

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  US army cutting down? The Germans are coming 35 518 25-02-2014 07:23 AM
Last Post: wazzel
  Leaked Army Manual reveals current methods of colonialism. I and I 3 231 02-10-2013 11:44 PM
Last Post: Chas
  Why doesn't Al-qaeda fight the Israeli army? I and I 13 1,136 17-11-2012 07:46 AM
Last Post: themanchicken
  U.S. Army: Just serving our country Luminon 20 912 24-08-2012 02:43 PM
Last Post: tnt4philly
  Legislation would hold Army accountable for Arlington's graves GassyKitten 0 288 05-12-2010 09:50 AM
Last Post: GassyKitten