AronRa VS Ray Comfort

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-09-2012, 02:18 AM
RE: AronRa VS Ray Comfort
If there were classes available he wouldn't take them because he would assert they require "faith" because they weren't being taught out of his fairy tale book.No
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Logisch's post
23-09-2012, 02:25 AM
(23-09-2012 02:18 AM)Logisch Wrote:  If there were classes available he wouldn't take them because he would assert they require "faith" because they weren't being taught out of his fairy tale book.No

I'm sure if he did anything it would be to look at the most effective fallacys to sway opinion.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
23-09-2012, 02:42 AM
QUICK! TAKE THIS RED HERRING!
[+] 1 user Likes Logisch's post
23-09-2012, 05:19 AM
Aaron is getting better at staying cool through these encounters. Kudos.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 1 user Likes Hafnof's post
23-09-2012, 05:31 AM
Guess which drooling retard made a video about this.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post
23-09-2012, 01:44 PM
Sorry, AronRa is a weak spokesman.

Why is atheism a stronger position for morality? He missed this completely.

Short answer:
Simply because bad people do bad things, but religion "demands" that good people do bad things, even when they know that they are bad.

Long answer:
When an individual stops to decide an ethical position for themselves they are more likely to make a better decision than a person who has given up the right to make their own decisions. The person who must make their own decisions will more likely than not take the time to better understand an issue because they are forced to.

Example: Gay Marriage in the US.
The US constitution provides equal protection for all citizens. The Bill of Rights declares the right of Life, Liberty and Pursuit of Happiness. Per the constitution you cannot discriminate against same sex marriage as it is between two consenting adults pursuing happiness while not hurting others. They have the right to join in legal union. This is a no-brainer for a thinking person.

Plenty of good people are opposed to gay marriage just because of a religious book. They do not think, they follow a discriminatory idea set by an ancient people 2,500 year ago. Good people hurting others for no good reason while believing they are acting morally.

That's a good argument for Atheistic morality.
If you're going to call yourself a spokesperson know the questions and rattle off the answers from rehearsal. You don't try and think of a good answer in the interview.

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
[+] 2 users Like Thomas's post
23-09-2012, 02:07 PM
(23-09-2012 01:44 PM)Thomas Wrote:  Sorry, AronRa is a weak spokesman.

Why is atheism a stronger position for morality? He missed this completely.

Short answer:
Simply because bad people do bad things, but religion "demands" that good people do bad things, even when they know that they are bad.

Long answer:
When an individual stops to decide an ethical position for themselves they are more likely to make a better decision than a person who has given up the right to make their own decisions. The person who must make their own decisions will more likely than not take the time to better understand an issue because they are forced to.

Example: Gay Marriage in the US.
The US constitution provides equal protection for all citizens. The Bill of Rights declares the right of Life, Liberty and Pursuit of Happiness. Per the constitution you cannot discriminate against same sex marriage as it is between two consenting adults pursuing happiness while not hurting others. They have the right to join in legal union. This is a no-brainer for a thinking person.

Plenty of good people are opposed to gay marriage just because of a religious book. They do not think, they follow a discriminatory idea set by an ancient people 2,500 year ago. Good people hurting others for no good reason while believing they are acting morally.

That's a good argument for Atheistic morality.
If you're going to call yourself a spokesperson know the questions and rattle off the answers from rehearsal. You don't try and think of a good answer in the interview.
Atheism has absolutely nothing to do with morality, thus something like an "atheistic morality" does not exist. You can be an Atheist and oppose gay marriage at the same time. Being immoral and an Atheist are not mutually exclusive, because the latter simply means that you lack a belief in one or more deities. Everything beyond that is the choice of an individual.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post
23-09-2012, 03:09 PM
(23-09-2012 02:14 AM)fstratzero Wrote:  I was expecting more from Ray and got less... Mr Comfort needs logic classes at the least.

If religious people were reasonable, there wouldn't be any religious people.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
23-09-2012, 03:37 PM
I was exploring some podcasts around the net and discovered one where a skeptic and scientist in one person debated a preacher. I was seriously disappointed. The preacher was the smoothest liar I ever heard. There were about four truths out of his mouth per whole debate, all the rest were half-truths, incomplete truths (with the important half missing) and outright lies about facts of science. But it all was so tightly packed into one slick torrent of speech, that nobody could possibly answer it all. It would take a good sound editing, quick notes and another hour to answer every nonsense he spewed. It was like a machinegun of horse shit bullets. I really couldn't keep a straight face listening to that. I'd chuckle or outright laugh, if I was in the audience.

OTOH, the skeptic wasn't good at this, in his segment of time. He got bogged down in technical questions and wasted a lot of time not knowing what to say. He could do a magnificent job attacking the fundamentals of religion and exposing some major preacher's lies, but he didn't. He wasn't good at attacking and mocking, unlike my favorite Youtube atheists.
That's the problem, honest people struggle with dishonest debaters. And I know that a solid non-sequitur can stop me cold for a while, I just don't know what to say, or there is too much to say. It's good to see that atheists on Youtube are a tougher lot and that they're getting out into the public.

So I was glad to see that this debate with Aron Ra went much better. Aron made a good impression, I think many people understood that Ray Comfort is the empty-handed fool there and that Aron knows his stuff and doesn't hide behind complexity, the science really is complex. The whole taxonomy thing, we really are scientifically classified as apes and subset of monkeys.
It was still fairly technical and polite, though. One day I'd like to hear a discussion in which the Christian is so thoroughly discredited, that next two weeks he'll proverbially walk through sewers. There is certainly enough nonsense and immorality in Bible to do that, but I don't remember any actual debate in which it happened.
23-09-2012, 03:43 PM
(23-09-2012 05:31 AM)Vosur Wrote:  Guess which drooling retard made a video about this.

Has anyone noticed that these videos are under the "comedy" category?

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
[+] 2 users Like Logica Humano's post