Arrogance

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-10-2015, 10:17 AM
Arrogance
I've been trying hard not to butt heads with my dad or anyone else I know who are religious, but some of the things they say frustrate me to no end.

The other day, I was at the local coffee house with my dad. We enjoy each other's company and have a pretty good relationship, but that's largely because I hold my tongue when the subjects drifts towards religious.

And that means I have a lot of pent up frustration, and being the only known atheist in my entire family, I have no where to vent except for here, the confines of my car, and at my dog. So this is a bit of a vent/rant. Sorry.

Anyway, my dad wound up talking about the trip he and my younger brother went on to get my brother up to his new station in Oregon. One day, they mixed up the hourly difference between my dad's watch and the actual time. They ended up embarking 4 hours early that day, and because they did, they got to enjoy several hours at a mountain biking park. The park would have been closed had they left on time. I seriously had to bite my tongue when my dad said, "Isn't it funny how god works?"

Yeah, I bet the kids in Africa find him hilarious.

This is what frustrates me the most about Christianity, and most religions. I'm always being accused about being arrogant and selfish, yet I'm not the one claiming that the creator of EVERYTHING is looking out for me and has a personal relationship with me. And that he made humans in HIS image. That everything in the (incredibly hostile to life) universe was made just for humans. That we have eternal souls. That, in the grand scheme of everything, humans are anything special at all.

That instead of lifting a finger to give even an ounce of relief to the thousands upon thousands of people suffering and dying every day, the almighty creator decided to give you 4 hours of fun at a bike park.

Right.

Ignorance is not to be ignored.

Check out my DA gallery! http://oo-kiri-oo.deviantart.com/gallery/
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 8 users Like Loom's post
05-10-2015, 10:25 AM
RE: Arrogance
Yup. You don't think that the universe was created with you in mind by a benevolent, supreme being who interceded on your behalf from accross the great cosmos because he wants a personal relationship with you and that somehow makes you the arrogant one.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 2 users Like The Organic Chemist's post
05-10-2015, 10:29 AM
You mean that time I told you you weren't qualified to post in the Science section, that arrogance?

Oh...

That's, ahhh... identity. Wink

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-10-2015, 10:35 AM
I understand how you feel: I am a n00b atheist (former Catholic) and it really grates when friends or relatives refer to God as the prime mover in their lives; it's just jarring to hear that now. When people say things like that to me, in my head I substitute "Santa" for god in that sentence, smile and nod my head (I try not to be condescending, I really do!)

I'm glad you have a good relationship with your dad though; to maintain that relationship, which seems healthy, I would try to let all the "godspeak" slide and simply change the subject. Most people love to talk about themselves, so in the example above, ask him what he liked best about the park? etc. rather than focus on god's part in it. If he insists on talking to you about religion, keep changing the subject; eventually, he'll get the hint. If necessary, just come out and say that you prefer not to talk about controversial subjects, like sex, politics and religion, with anyone. Although, as your father, he may feel entitled to know what you think, you don't have to say anything.

Your faith is not evidence, your opinion is not fact, and your bias is not wisdom
[+] 1 user Likes Reducetarian's post
05-10-2015, 10:40 AM
(05-10-2015 10:17 AM)Loom Wrote:  Anyway, my dad wound up talking about the trip he and my younger brother went on to get my brother up to his new station in Oregon. One day, they mixed up the hourly difference between my dad's watch and the actual time. They ended up embarking 4 hours early that day, and because they did, they got to enjoy several hours at a mountain biking park. The park would have been closed had they left on time. I seriously had to bite my tongue when my dad said, "Isn't it funny how god works?"

So far as I can tell, this whole thing was the result of a human error based on decisions he made, correct?

How does he reconcile God intervening in his ability to set his own watch and the stock apologetics on free will? Unless he's a Calvinist, free will is a super big deal to Christians explaining why God lets bad things happen to good people.
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
05-10-2015, 11:12 AM
Tim Minchin on the topic:

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 3 users Like Dom's post
05-10-2015, 11:17 AM
(05-10-2015 10:40 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(05-10-2015 10:17 AM)Loom Wrote:  Anyway, my dad wound up talking about the trip he and my younger brother went on to get my brother up to his new station in Oregon. One day, they mixed up the hourly difference between my dad's watch and the actual time. They ended up embarking 4 hours early that day, and because they did, they got to enjoy several hours at a mountain biking park. The park would have been closed had they left on time. I seriously had to bite my tongue when my dad said, "Isn't it funny how god works?"

So far as I can tell, this whole thing was the result of a human error based on decisions he made, correct?

Depends upon who you ask. When I saw god, one of my first thoughts was, "this thing ain't responsible for morality."

If they're willing to scale, and admit to relative morality, it makes a degree of sense.

[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
05-10-2015, 11:21 AM
(05-10-2015 11:17 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Depends upon who you ask. When I saw god, one of my first thoughts was, "this thing ain't responsible for morality."

Was she a comely black girl who likes to sit on your lap and ride in your TransAm?

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
05-10-2015, 11:22 AM
(05-10-2015 11:21 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(05-10-2015 11:17 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Depends upon who you ask. When I saw god, one of my first thoughts was, "this thing ain't responsible for morality."

Was she a comely black girl who likes to sit on your lap and ride in your TransAm?

Wouldn't it be nice, huh? Heart

[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
05-10-2015, 11:35 AM
(05-10-2015 11:12 AM)Dom Wrote:  Tim Minchin on the topic:

Laugh out load Tim Minchin is the best! I only recently discovered him and I find all of his material insightful and just plain funny.
[+] 2 users Like mediocrates's post