Arrogance

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-10-2015, 01:49 PM
RE: Arrogance
(05-10-2015 10:17 AM)Loom Wrote:  I've been trying hard not to butt heads with my dad or anyone else I know who are religious, but some of the things they say frustrate me to no end.

The other day, I was at the local coffee house with my dad. We enjoy each other's company and have a pretty good relationship, but that's largely because I hold my tongue when the subjects drifts towards religious.

And that means I have a lot of pent up frustration, and being the only known atheist in my entire family, I have no where to vent except for here, the confines of my car, and at my dog. So this is a bit of a vent/rant. Sorry.

Anyway, my dad wound up talking about the trip he and my younger brother went on to get my brother up to his new station in Oregon. One day, they mixed up the hourly difference between my dad's watch and the actual time. They ended up embarking 4 hours early that day, and because they did, they got to enjoy several hours at a mountain biking park. The park would have been closed had they left on time. I seriously had to bite my tongue when my dad said, "Isn't it funny how god works?"

Yeah, I bet the kids in Africa find him hilarious.

This is what frustrates me the most about Christianity, and most religions. I'm always being accused about being arrogant and selfish, yet I'm not the one claiming that the creator of EVERYTHING is looking out for me and has a personal relationship with me. And that he made humans in HIS image. That everything in the (incredibly hostile to life) universe was made just for humans. That we have eternal souls. That, in the grand scheme of everything, humans are anything special at all.

That instead of lifting a finger to give even an ounce of relief to the thousands upon thousands of people suffering and dying every day, the almighty creator decided to give you 4 hours of fun at a bike park.

Right.

1. The kids in Africa are constantly, constantly, constantly being helped by in-country Christian missionaries and Christian missions. I support a family in Africa now with enough dollars that their child can go to school instead of work in the fields, and have been doing so for years. You?

2. We know that God causes all things to work together to those who love God. Your family rejoiced that despite a foolish mistake, a mistimed watch, they got to enjoy an activity centered on God and joy.

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-10-2015, 02:37 PM
(05-10-2015 01:49 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(05-10-2015 10:17 AM)Loom Wrote:  I've been trying hard not to butt heads with my dad or anyone else I know who are religious, but some of the things they say frustrate me to no end.

The other day, I was at the local coffee house with my dad. We enjoy each other's company and have a pretty good relationship, but that's largely because I hold my tongue when the subjects drifts towards religious.

And that means I have a lot of pent up frustration, and being the only known atheist in my entire family, I have no where to vent except for here, the confines of my car, and at my dog. So this is a bit of a vent/rant. Sorry.

Anyway, my dad wound up talking about the trip he and my younger brother went on to get my brother up to his new station in Oregon. One day, they mixed up the hourly difference between my dad's watch and the actual time. They ended up embarking 4 hours early that day, and because they did, they got to enjoy several hours at a mountain biking park. The park would have been closed had they left on time. I seriously had to bite my tongue when my dad said, "Isn't it funny how god works?"

This is what frustrates me the most about Christianity, and most religions. I'm always being accused about being arrogant and selfish, yet I'm not the one claiming that the creator of EVERYTHING is looking out for me and has a personal relationship with me. And that he made humans in HIS image. That everything in the (incredibly hostile to life) universe was made just for humans. That we have eternal souls. That, in the grand scheme of everything, humans are anything special at all.

That instead of lifting a finger to give even an ounce of relief to the thousands upon thousands of people suffering and dying every day, the almighty creator decided to give you 4 hours of fun at a bike park.

Right.

1. The kids in Africa are constantly, constantly, constantly being helped by in-country Christian missionaries and Christian missions. I support a family in Africa now with enough dollars that their child can go to school instead of work in the fields, and have been doing so for years. You?

2. We know that God causes all things to work together to those who love God. Your family rejoiced that despite a foolish mistake, a mistimed watch, they got to enjoy an activity centered on God and joy.

There is that arrogance in action for all to see. Two statements that do not require, nor imply a god in the picture - friggin putz!

“Truth does not demand belief. Scientists do not join hands every Sunday, singing, yes, gravity is real! I will have faith! I will be strong! I believe in my heart that what goes up, up, up, must come down, down, down. Amen! If they did, we would think they were pretty insecure about it.”
— Dan Barker —
Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Timber1025's post
05-10-2015, 02:39 PM
(05-10-2015 02:37 PM)Timber1025 Wrote:  
(05-10-2015 01:49 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  1. The kids in Africa are constantly, constantly, constantly being helped by in-country Christian missionaries and Christian missions. I support a family in Africa now with enough dollars that their child can go to school instead of work in the fields, and have been doing so for years. You?

There is that arrogance in action for all to see. Two statements that do not require, nor imply a god in the picture - friggin putz!

You beat me to it!
[+] 2 users Like julep's post
05-10-2015, 02:41 PM
(05-10-2015 02:39 PM)julep Wrote:  
(05-10-2015 02:37 PM)Timber1025 Wrote:  There is that arrogance in action for all to see. Two statements that do not require, nor imply a god in the picture - friggin putz!

You beat me to it!

Calling Q a putz? You can safety make a macro for those keystrokes. Undecided

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
05-10-2015, 02:42 PM
(05-10-2015 01:49 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  You?

I'm the living word of gwynnite, fool. Angel

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
05-10-2015, 03:02 PM

Right.

I appreciate that you've given so heartedly to charity (which many non-Christians do as well). I'm hardly financially stable enough to support myself, but I give to charities whenever I can.

...and I think the point I was trying to make went clear over your head. Saying a god is rewarding you when something good happens, all because you have a personal relationship with said god, is exactly the kind of arrogance I was talking about.

Ignorance is not to be ignored.

Check out my DA gallery! http://oo-kiri-oo.deviantart.com/gallery/
[+] 1 user Likes Loom's post
05-10-2015, 04:27 PM

Right.

Speaking of arrogance.........

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 2 users Like The Organic Chemist's post
05-10-2015, 09:28 PM

Right.

I know what you mean. I recently went back home to Virginia for the first time in 9 years. In the interim I have become an atheist. I couldn't believe how much people attributed every little thing that happened to them to God. A good parking space, a new job, a cleared up headache, and on and on and in the meantime millions are starving and suffering with horrible diseases. Babies are being born with horrific birth defects. Wars are raging over doctrinal differences between religious sects in which many innocent people and kids are being killed and maimed but God found you a good parking space so your fat ass didn't have to walk an extra hundred feet to the door of the grocery store. Do these people hear the things coming out of their mouths.

I hadn't realized what people were talking about when they talk about the south but having lived out west where religion is much lower key, I see it now. Almost everyone I saw had a large gold cross around their neck. How many starving kids could that feed by the way.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
[+] 2 users Like true scotsman's post
05-10-2015, 11:16 PM
"Fuck Africa." - God
[+] 1 user Likes Fodder_From_The_Truth's post
05-10-2015, 11:45 PM (This post was last modified: 06-10-2015 01:31 AM by DLJ.)
(05-10-2015 01:49 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  ...
1. The kids in Africa are constantly, constantly, constantly being helped by in-country Christian missionaries and Christian missions.

Missionary Motto:

"Sorry about all the mess my god made. We're here help to make amends"

Dodgy

Guilty consciences work in mysterious ways.

Drinking Beverage

[+] 5 users Like DLJ's post