Arrogance

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-10-2015, 08:46 AM
RE: Arrogance
(10-10-2015 08:24 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(05-10-2015 01:49 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  I support a family in Africa now with enough dollars that their child can go to school instead of work in the fields, and have been doing so for years. You?

(09-10-2015 11:22 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  I think you are confusing "doing acts of righteousness to be seen" with "witnessing the truth of the Bible to unbelievers".

I'm talking about you bragging about helping the little children in Africa. Since you have your reward now of making yourself feel more charitable than the evil heathens you will receive no credit for it on judgement day.

And this is not the first time you have felt this need. I'm going with DLJ, you got a serious guilt complex.

(09-10-2015 11:22 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  I support several families in Africa and Asia (non-Christians) off my limited income besides giving to my church and preaching. You?

A problem with trying to make a point may occur when the target is mostly empty space. Angel

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
10-10-2015, 08:52 AM
(09-10-2015 11:22 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(08-10-2015 10:24 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Ah, look at the little christian ignoring the words of his savior. Warms me cockles.

"Be careful not to practice your righteousness in front of others to be seen by them. If you do, you will have no reward from your Father in heaven." - Matthew 6:1

I think you are confusing "doing acts of righteousness to be seen" with "witnessing the truth of the Bible to unbelievers".

I think the problem stems from your use of 'You?' at the end of your statement.

Ignorance is not to be ignored.

Check out my DA gallery! http://oo-kiri-oo.deviantart.com/gallery/
Find all posts by this user
15-10-2015, 11:47 AM
(10-10-2015 08:24 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(05-10-2015 01:49 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  I support a family in Africa now with enough dollars that their child can go to school instead of work in the fields, and have been doing so for years. You?

(09-10-2015 11:22 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  I think you are confusing "doing acts of righteousness to be seen" with "witnessing the truth of the Bible to unbelievers".

I'm talking about you bragging about helping the little children in Africa. Since you have your reward now of making yourself feel more charitable than the evil heathens you will receive no credit for it on judgement day.

And this is not the first time you have felt this need. I'm going with DLJ, you got a serious guilt complex.

(09-10-2015 11:22 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  I support several families in Africa and Asia (non-Christians) off my limited income besides giving to my church and preaching. You?

Is this something you truly believe? Are you always uncomfortable when someone points out hypocrisy to you, whether hypocrisy from an atheist or a theist? It's natural to feel uncomfortable when caught in a bluff or a hypocritical statement--hey, wait, Christians really do put their money where atheist mouths are--but is it necessary to accuse a truth-teller of having a guilt complex?

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
15-10-2015, 11:52 AM
(05-10-2015 10:17 AM)Loom Wrote:  I've been trying hard not to butt heads with my dad or anyone else I know who are religious, but some of the things they say frustrate me to no end.

The other day, I was at the local coffee house with my dad. We enjoy each other's company and have a pretty good relationship, but that's largely because I hold my tongue when the subjects drifts towards religious.

And that means I have a lot of pent up frustration, and being the only known atheist in my entire family, I have no where to vent except for here, the confines of my car, and at my dog. So this is a bit of a vent/rant. Sorry.

Anyway, my dad wound up talking about the trip he and my younger brother went on to get my brother up to his new station in Oregon. One day, they mixed up the hourly difference between my dad's watch and the actual time. They ended up embarking 4 hours early that day, and because they did, they got to enjoy several hours at a mountain biking park. The park would have been closed had they left on time. I seriously had to bite my tongue when my dad said, "Isn't it funny how god works?"

Yeah, I bet the kids in Africa find him hilarious.

This is what frustrates me the most about Christianity, and most religions. I'm always being accused about being arrogant and selfish, yet I'm not the one claiming that the creator of EVERYTHING is looking out for me and has a personal relationship with me. And that he made humans in HIS image. That everything in the (incredibly hostile to life) universe was made just for humans. That we have eternal souls. That, in the grand scheme of everything, humans are anything special at all.

That instead of lifting a finger to give even an ounce of relief to the thousands upon thousands of people suffering and dying every day, the almighty creator decided to give you 4 hours of fun at a bike park.

Right.

I think this is just part of human desire to ascribe events to outside causes. People often attribute things to luck, chance, providence or date or what have you. I wouldn't read that much into a throwaway phrase like that.

I'm homophobic in the same way that I'm arachnophobic. I'm not scared of gay people but I'm going to scream if I find one in my bath.

I'm. Also homophobic in the same way I'm arachnophobic. I'm scared of spiders but I'd still fuck'em.
- my friend Marc
Find all posts by this user