Art That You Like

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-01-2017, 03:13 PM
RE: Art That You Like
I really love graphic art and minimalism and the 80's aesthetic has been on my mind a lot lately. I've been pushing myself to design posters and t shirts so when I want inspiration I go and look at art I like by artists like Malika Favre and Patrick Nagel:

Malika:

[Image: 82105049d469369a77620b65682bae32.jpg] [Image: a0bc650b478fb67d3fd8c585aaaba25d.jpg]

Patrick:

[Image: c836d05cf5ea6c75ee33b74854618f94.jpg] [Image: fcff380a9299e84f3696ab007a3f6f42.jpg]

[Image: sagansig_zps6vhbql6m.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like SitaSky's post
25-01-2017, 03:29 PM
(25-01-2017 03:13 PM)SitaSky Wrote:  I really love graphic art and minimalism and the 80's aesthetic has been on my mind a lot lately. I've been pushing myself to design posters and t shirts so when I want inspiration I go and look at art I like by artists like Malika Favre and Patrick Nagel:

Malika:

[Image: 82105049d469369a77620b65682bae32.jpg] [Image: a0bc650b478fb67d3fd8c585aaaba25d.jpg]

Patrick:

[Image: c836d05cf5ea6c75ee33b74854618f94.jpg] [Image: fcff380a9299e84f3696ab007a3f6f42.jpg]

Oh I love those! Great colors.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
25-01-2017, 04:57 PM
This is a Marc Chagall stained glass window that's in the United Nations building.

[Image: alsace6.jpg]

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
25-01-2017, 05:27 PM
(24-01-2017 09:10 AM)jennybee Wrote:  
(23-01-2017 09:20 PM)cactus Wrote:  This one is so beautiful. It reminds me of home.

[Image: 508px-Francisco_de_Goya,_Saturno_devoran...)_crop.jpg]

[Image: ahh.png]

"The Scream" by Edvard Munch

I've always liked this, but there's another "scream"painting that I like even better: Francis Bacon's Study after Velazquez's Portrait of Pope Innocent X. I'm technically challenged, and can't quite figure out how to get that image into this post, but you can see it here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Study_afte...Innocent_X

It's wonderfully creepy, and a great send-up of religion to boot.
[+] 2 users Like Grasshopper's post
25-01-2017, 06:12 PM
(25-01-2017 05:27 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(24-01-2017 09:10 AM)jennybee Wrote:  [Image: ahh.png]

"The Scream" by Edvard Munch

I've always liked this, but there's another "scream"painting that I like even better: Francis Bacon's Study after Velazquez's Portrait of Pope Innocent X. I'm technically challenged, and can't quite figure out how to get that image into this post, but you can see it here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Study_afte...Innocent_X

It's wonderfully creepy, and a great send-up of religion to boot.

Here it is. Creepy, I like it Big Grin

If you want to post images--just go to the little square underneath the big A (font color) in the pm box and put in your image. But wiki articles are fine too Wink I read it and it was quite interesting. I also liked the before and after "zombie pope" Laugh out load

[Image: study-after-velazquezs-portrait-of-pope-...-19491.jpg]

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
25-01-2017, 06:22 PM
That link took me to a Velazquez wikipedia page and that reminded me of another painting I love. Not so much because of the colors or beauty but because of the concept.

Below is a painting of Velazquez painting a portrait of the king and queen of Spain. He looks at the couple to compose his painting but he's actually looking at us, the viewers of the painting. The king and queen that are posing for the painting are reflected in the mirror behind him. He is also painting a portrait of himself while he's painting the king and queen.

The man going out the door is looking back at the scene and the dog is just chilling out. The door brings light into the room and gives distance to the room.

[Image: Las_Meninas_featuredimage.jpg]

The little girl who is a princess (can't remember her name) was painted with the same dress on later or maybe it was earlier. I don't remember that either but here she is.

[Image: Classical-figurative-font-b-painting-b-f...b-font.jpg]

One of the reason's he painted the queen and king this way was because they were hideously ugly from all the in breeding within the royal house and this was a way to get them into a painting without much detail.

Here's the king with his Hapsburg jaw and horrible underbite......yuck!

[Image: 40396741f35a1f0499fe4689ed0f7d0b.jpg]

Anyway, I find the top painting is very interesting.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
25-01-2017, 07:27 PM
(25-01-2017 06:22 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  That link took me to a Velazquez wikipedia page and that reminded me of another painting I love. Not so much because of the colors or beauty but because of the concept.

Below is a painting of Velazquez painting a portrait of the king and queen of Spain. He looks at the couple to compose his painting but he's actually looking at us, the viewers of the painting. The king and queen that are posing for the painting are reflected in the mirror behind him. He is also painting a portrait of himself while he's painting the king and queen.

The man going out the door is looking back at the scene and the dog is just chilling out. The door brings light into the room and gives distance to the room.

[Image: Las_Meninas_featuredimage.jpg]

The little girl who is a princess (can't remember her name) was painted with the same dress on later or maybe it was earlier. I don't remember that either but here she is.

[Image: Classical-figurative-font-b-painting-b-f...b-font.jpg]

One of the reason's he painted the queen and king this way was because they were hideously ugly from all the in breeding within the royal house and this was a way to get them into a painting without much detail.

Here's the king with his Hapsburg jaw and horrible underbite......yuck!

[Image: 40396741f35a1f0499fe4689ed0f7d0b.jpg]

Anyway, I find the top painting is very interesting.

Wow, that is very interesting. There's a lot going on in that top painting. Before I read your description, I saw the two people in the mirror in the distance and I thought that was an odd bit, but now it makes sense Tongue

26-01-2017, 06:12 AM
I'm a fan of wood carving. I discovered this guy, Giles Newman, on Facebook. Here are some examples of his work:
[Image: FB_IMG_1485432439032_zpstp2za941.jpg]

[Image: FB_IMG_1485432421475_zpsd5pj9ai7.jpg]
[+] 4 users Like Captain Congo's post
26-01-2017, 07:00 AM
Alberto Vargas

[Image: CandyO%20(1).jpg]

He was a "pinup artist" during WWII...

His granddaughter talking him into doing the album art for The Cars album Candy O...

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 5 users Like onlinebiker's post
26-01-2017, 07:45 AM
(26-01-2017 06:12 AM)Captain Congo Wrote:  I'm a fan of wood carving. I discovered this guy, Giles Newman, on Facebook. Here are some examples of his work:
[Image: FB_IMG_1485432439032_zpstp2za941.jpg]

[Image: FB_IMG_1485432421475_zpsd5pj9ai7.jpg]

Wow! Amazing what he can do. Thumbsup