Art That You Like

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-09-2015, 03:40 AM
RE: Art That You Like
(15-09-2015 11:15 PM)Banjo Wrote:  
(15-09-2015 01:38 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  As well as his most famous stuff -- all the conceptual artwork for the Alien series....

I was a big fan of Heavy Metal magazine in the late 70's early 80's.. He got featured several times. His stuff is what nightmares look like.........

BTW -- don't drop acid and listen to Pink Floyd while looking at his artwork.... It's..... disturbing................

Hobo

I would NEVER listen to Pink Floyd. All their music is designed stadium rock, played as slowly as a slow jazz balled so every note can be heard in the auditorium. And a shit boring drummer.

I hate that band.

Sorry mate.

[Image: thems-fighting-words.jpg.800x600_q96.png] Tongue

(22-08-2015 07:30 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  It is by will alone I set my brows in motion it is by the conditioner of avocado that the brows acquire volume the skin acquires spots the spots become a warning. It is by will alone I set my brows in motion.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Octapulse's post
16-09-2015, 04:49 AM
(16-09-2015 03:40 AM)Octapulse Wrote:  [Image: thems-fighting-words.jpg.800x600_q96.png] Tongue

QFT.

Here I was, thinking I liked Banjo. Tongue

living word
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
16-09-2015, 05:51 AM
I'm OK with Banjo's opinion....

If EVERYBODY liked the same band - we'd never fit into the stadium.....

Smile

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
16-09-2015, 06:01 AM
(15-09-2015 11:15 PM)Banjo Wrote:  I would NEVER listen to Pink Floyd. All their music is designed stadium rock, played as slowly as a slow jazz balled so every note can be heard in the auditorium. And a shit boring drummer.

I hate that band.

Sorry mate.

Gasp
Obviously the meds are affecting your thinking so I'll let this slide. This time.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 2 users Like unfogged's post
16-09-2015, 06:26 AM
(16-09-2015 05:51 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  I'm OK with Banjo's opinion....

If EVERYBODY liked the same band - we'd never fit into the stadium.....

Smile

Laugh out load

Good point. But as the Floyd is a core part of my identity, ya ain't gonna say "I hate them" without me barking about it. There ain't really nothing to my barking. Conversely, those who hate Gwyneth Paltrow can never be my friend. Tongue

living word
16-09-2015, 08:39 AM
(15-09-2015 11:04 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Hate to be a little prick but most of what's being posted are illustrations. Yes, they are artists, but generally fine artists are often said to ask questions of the world, points to unpopular truths and show the human condition where as illustrators follow a preconceived storyline.

Don't get me wrong, illustrators are fabulous craftspeople and I enjoy their work, even considered being an illustrator myself, but there are differences between the two even if it's a bit fuzzy sometimes.

Carry on.

I think an artist is anyone who creates something beautiful. And art is any beautiful creation. Of course, this means it's all subjective. What's art to one person is not art to another. But I think the distinction above between fine artists and illustrators is a false dichotomy. Artists do sometimes point to unpopular truths, etc., but that's not a necessary condition for being recognized as an artist.

I own some really spectacular nature photographs which have no social context. They do nothing but present a view of nature, and they are most definitely fine art.

The Jan Guess painting I attached above is another kind of view of nature, an artist's impressionistic interpretation of a nature scene. No social context, but a prime example of fine art.

Not all illustration is fine art, but it certainly can be.

"El mar se mide por olas,
el cielo por alas,
nosotros por lágrimas."
-- Jaime Sabines
[+] 2 users Like daniel1948's post
16-09-2015, 08:46 AM
(15-09-2015 11:04 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Hate to be a little prick but most of what's being posted are illustrations. Yes, they are artists, but generally fine artists are often said to ask questions of the world, points to unpopular truths and show the human condition where as illustrators follow a preconceived storyline.

Don't get me wrong, illustrators are fabulous craftspeople and I enjoy their work, even considered being an illustrator myself, but there are differences between the two even if it's a bit fuzzy sometimes.

Carry on.

I missed that part. Used to be a trick question, to define art. I cheated:

Art is that which is created by artists. Big Grin

Not that I don't feel your point, but Sylvia Plath is my favorite artist; perhaps you want a "fine art" thread?

Oh, and Hug

living word
16-09-2015, 09:02 AM
Here's some fine art for dancefortwo Smile

I always thought Edvard Munch had some hauntingly beautiful pieces.

The Dance of Life

[Image: the-dance-of-life.jpg]

The Day After

[Image: the-day-after.jpg]

Vampire

[Image: vampire.jpg]

And probably his most well known, The Scream

[Image: 1893_Edvard_Munch_The_Scream-WR400.jpeg]
[+] 3 users Like jennybee's post
16-09-2015, 09:03 AM (This post was last modified: 16-09-2015 09:28 AM by Bucky Ball.)
(13-09-2015 06:20 PM)Anjele Wrote:  My favourite artist is Vincent van Gogh. His paintings are well known, and very good, but I am more into his sketches and drawings.

I really really like Starry Night ... I should buy a copy, and put it up. Thumbsup

I have some medieval illuminated manuscripts on a couple walls, .. 2 very small French ones from the prayerbook of a French noblewoman from Rouen about 1440, and 2 from an antiphoner (chant) from a Spanish monastery from about the same time, but much larger ... folio size. If I could find an intact "Magnificat" that's about the only thing I would buy at this point. I like posters.

I'm fascinated with the geometric prints of Piet Mondrian .. my aunt has one in her house, and I think I need one, (a copy of course). Every one is different, the simpler the better ... so I'm still deciding.
[Image: mondrian_art_style_5x7area_rug.jpg?color...;amp;qv=90]

[Image: mondrian_mousepad.jpg?height=225&width=225]

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
16-09-2015, 09:09 AM
Whadda mean copy, bucky-bucks?

living word