Arthur Schopenhauer: On Women

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-08-2012, 02:54 PM
Arthur Schopenhauer: On Women
http://theabsolute.net/misogyny/onwomen.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Schopenhauer

We read this in our advanced German course a few months ago and I re-discovered it today. Our course consists of three boys (including me) and 16 girls, which made this topic even more hilarious. Anyway, discuss!

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Vosur's post
05-08-2012, 11:50 PM
RE: Arthur Schopenhauer: On Women
Oh the good old days.

Are women equal to men?
We say we are equals.

Why do we have men and womens sports and not just sports?
Because if we just had unisex sports women could not compete with men.

Oh, so separate, but equal is good.Thumbsup
But, only when it benefits women, not men.

...and feminist are still pissed off.

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
11-08-2012, 03:53 PM
I don't know much about women. From what I can observe, there certainly are differences. I can't help but notice how few women make electronic music. Which involves playing instruments and toying with apparatus of computers and synthesizers. From a hundred musicians or so I listen to, only a couple of them are women.
Women dance and sing, men play music and compose it.

The mystery is again how much is nature vs. nurture.
I agree with feminists in the good will towards all women, but the problem is, an emancipated woman basically means a woman successful as a man. A woman who can play the game of capitalism. Capitalism has two roles for women, a male role or a role of un-paid housewife. If housewives would get paid their fair share of work that they do, all the capitalism would go bankrupt. This is how capitalism cheats and why feminists and all other true friends of women should know about it.

The more harsh conditions are, the more male and female roles specialize and vice versa. Men become silent and deadly hunters, task-oriented, gesture-communicating rigidly thinking problem-solvers. Women become social, chattering gatherers doing necessary but menial tasks and maintaining a web of contacts. In these old times, when a woman got silent, she was probably carried away by some big cat, that's why chatter was important.
And nowadays nature isn't so harsh on us, so we get phenomena like male grooming, bromance, metrosexuals and of course women in harsh business world, football and various vocations except perhaps firefighters. We become versatile. It's possible that given right society that doesn't push us into strict roles, men and women are interchangeable, except of course childbearing and maybe minor hormonal mood swings twice a month.
But I'll fully believe that when I see a woman behind a synthesizer making a lovely psychedelic downtempo music. (I don't count Rena Jones, her music somehow doesn't fit me)

So basically, I don't know what to think yet, I wait for more information and hoping for a woman just for myself as a test subject Smile

11-08-2012, 04:52 PM
Meh... Schopenhauer is dead.
Not only did he have fairly shitty relationships with all of the women in his life, but women at that time had few or less than few choices. So, hey - restrict a people for centuries and they'll probably come out of it pretty pissed off. Thumbsup

Lumi... there are women firefighters - not a great number, but they are out there. Wink

As for women in electronic music...

http://www.cyndustries.com/woman.cfm

http://www.facebook.com/wemusic

http://www.last.fm/group/Women+in+Electronic+Music

I never let myself forget that evolution is about adaptation. The more ability all humans have to change and adapt, the greater the chance at progress for the human species. That includes the abilities of male humans and female humans... and the progress each experience at the fringes of their ever changing respective roles.

I drive a truck for a living and that may or may not have anything to do with everything about me. We are always so much more than the sum or our actions. Wink

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
11-08-2012, 06:02 PM
Oh those Germans are sure smooth talkers, aren't they?Drinking Beverage

Oops...no offense, Vosur. Laughat

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
13-08-2012, 03:29 PM
(11-08-2012 04:52 PM)kim Wrote:  Meh... Schopenhauer is dead.
Not only did he have fairly shitty relationships with all of the women in his life, but women at that time had few or less than few choices. So, hey - restrict a people for centuries and they'll probably come out of it pretty pissed off. Thumbsup

Lumi... there are women firefighters - not a great number, but they are out there. Wink

As for women in electronic music...

http://www.cyndustries.com/woman.cfm

http://www.facebook.com/wemusic

http://www.last.fm/group/Women+in+Electronic+Music
Thanks for the info. The record labels I listen to are pretty much a sausage fest. They're great, (Twisted Music, Ultimae, Altar, Interchill, Aleph Zero etc) but there are just a few women around that get hired to projects if vocals are needed. Because the music is mostly instrumental and there's not much to sing and the guys all twiddle knobs on machines. What a stereotype.

(11-08-2012 04:52 PM)kim Wrote:  ************
I never let myself forget that evolution is about adaptation. The more ability all humans have to change and adapt, the greater the chance at progress for the human species. That includes the abilities of male humans and female humans... and the progress each experience at the fringes of their ever changing respective roles.

I drive a truck for a living and that may or may not have anything to do with everything about me. We are always so much more than the sum or our actions. Wink
You drive a truck? Wow, that's a serious job. My dad used to work like that, he drove all over Europe, so I have some idea what it's like... Although I must privately wonder how does it work living on the truck, do you have another woman as a second driver to back you up?
If not, then you're likely in a situation when your employer tells a stranger to basically move in with you and share the truck quarters for up to months. That's certainly something to adapt to Smile

13-08-2012, 04:16 PM
(11-08-2012 04:52 PM)kim Wrote:  I drive a truck for a living and that may or may not have anything to do with everything about me. We are always so much more than the sum or our actions. Wink

Long haul? Local?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
13-08-2012, 04:24 PM
(13-08-2012 03:29 PM)Luminon Wrote:  Thanks for the info. The record labels I listen to are pretty much a sausage fest. They're great, (Twisted Music, Ultimae, Altar, Interchill, Aleph Zero etc) but there are just a few women around that get hired to projects if vocals are needed. Because the music is mostly instrumental and there's not much to sing and the guys all twiddle knobs on machines. What a stereotype.

It is odd that even some music companies seem to cater to stereotypes - I think it's very limiting. Although I'm not into electronica much right now, one of my favorite musicians for many years has been Laurie Anderson. She's more or less a performance-artist-musician who's been around for about 35 years. I saw her recently and she's just as innovative as ever.

(13-08-2012 03:29 PM)Luminon Wrote:  You drive a truck? Wow, that's a serious job. My dad used to work like that, he drove all over Europe, so I have some idea what it's like... Although I must privately wonder how does it work living on the truck, do you have another woman as a second driver to back you up?
If not, then you're likely in a situation when your employer tells a stranger to basically move in with you and share the truck quarters for up to months. That's certainly something to adapt to Smile

My company has all different kinds of trucks and routes, and you get to know the other drivers pretty well. For the most part, we're all there to get paid and to drive safely. I currently drive solo between two cities within my own state and my route only takes me only about 5 hours to run.

Some drivers go between states and many of their routes take anywhere from 6 to 10 hours to run -most of that is solo, and I've done that, too. We do have sleeper teams that go from the middle of the country to the coasts -those routes run overnights, and since the truck only stops to gas, there needs to be 2 drivers. These routes go for 4 or 5 days and I've not heard any drivers complain about living with anyone on a sleeper route.

There are several women on sleeper teams and they've never had any issues pairing up with men or other women for the teams. It's only a few days out, and someone is always driving while the other is usually asleep. It's very efficient - the company doesn't like to waste time or money -so they keep drivers happy. There are rosters to sign up for teams, and if you have teamed with someone before that you didn't care for, you can choose to team up with someone else.

Really, like I said... we're all just there to get paid and drive safely. Shy

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
19-08-2012, 07:16 AM (This post was last modified: 19-08-2012 07:22 AM by Logica Humano.)
(11-08-2012 03:53 PM)Luminon Wrote:  I don't know much about women. From what I can observe, there certainly are differences. I can't help but notice how few women make electronic music. Which involves playing instruments and toying with apparatus of computers and synthesizers. From a hundred musicians or so I listen to, only a couple of them are women.
Women dance and sing, men play music and compose it.

The mystery is again how much is nature vs. nurture.
I agree with feminists in the good will towards all women, but the problem is, an emancipated woman basically means a woman successful as a man. A woman who can play the game of capitalism. Capitalism has two roles for women, a male role or a role of un-paid housewife. If housewives would get paid their fair share of work that they do, all the capitalism would go bankrupt. This is how capitalism cheats and why feminists and all other true friends of women should know about it.

The more harsh conditions are, the more male and female roles specialize and vice versa. Men become silent and deadly hunters, task-oriented, gesture-communicating rigidly thinking problem-solvers. Women become social, chattering gatherers doing necessary but menial tasks and maintaining a web of contacts. In these old times, when a woman got silent, she was probably carried away by some big cat, that's why chatter was important.
And nowadays nature isn't so harsh on us, so we get phenomena like male grooming, bromance, metrosexuals and of course women in harsh business world, football and various vocations except perhaps firefighters. We become versatile. It's possible that given right society that doesn't push us into strict roles, men and women are interchangeable, except of course childbearing and maybe minor hormonal mood swings twice a month.
But I'll fully believe that when I see a woman behind a synthesizer making a lovely psychedelic downtempo music. (I don't count Rena Jones, her music somehow doesn't fit me)

So basically, I don't know what to think yet, I wait for more information and hoping for a woman just for myself as a test subject Smile

Prepare you jizz yourself.

*cough* Woman *cough* ^

The idea that most electronic music is instrumental is dumb. You will find that the majority of modern dubstep, dnb, and house tracks have vocals.

[Image: 4833fa13.jpg]
Poonjab
[+] 1 user Likes Logica Humano's post
23-08-2012, 02:57 PM
Quote:I don't know much about women. From what I can observe, there certainly are differences. I can't help but notice how few women make electronic music. Which involves playing instruments and toying with apparatus of computers and synthesizers. From a hundred musicians or so I listen to, only a couple of them are women.
There is a good explantation of this in Deena Weinstein's book Running with the Devil. In fact, there was a good quote by (of all people!) David Lee Roth, talking about how parents are usually cool with it when a little boy wants to be a rock star (at least for a while), but if a little girl says that, they tell her to go play with dolls or play the clarinet instead.

This also applies to homosexuals, blacks, women, and other minorities in genres like black metal, and was covered well in the book "Extreme Metal" by Keith Kahm Harris. Many musical genres have a boys-only sort of vibe going on, and minorities do not feel comfortable. I don't blame women for not being involved, because the social aspects are irritating. I've been involved in the BM scene for over a decade, and people still ask me for nude pics or assume I'm just looking for a long-haired boyfriend, and many won't even discuss music with me because they think I'm not serious. This is also why I gave up on playing in bands with other people. Women in music are often judged by their looks, not their musical ability. I understand why women could get sick of that.

As for Schopenhauer, I just think he was a product of his times.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like amyb's post