Arthur Schopenhauer: On Women

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-08-2012, 03:59 PM
RE: Arthur Schopenhauer: On Women
(23-08-2012 02:57 PM)amyb Wrote:  
Quote:I don't know much about women. From what I can observe, there certainly are differences. I can't help but notice how few women make electronic music. Which involves playing instruments and toying with apparatus of computers and synthesizers. From a hundred musicians or so I listen to, only a couple of them are women.
There is a good explantation of this in Deena Weinstein's book Running with the Devil. In fact, there was a good quote by (of all people!) David Lee Roth, talking about how parents are usually cool with it when a little boy wants to be a rock star (at least for a while), but if a little girl says that, they tell her to go play with dolls or play the clarinet instead.

This also applies to homosexuals, blacks, women, and other minorities in genres like black metal, and was covered well in the book "Extreme Metal" by Keith Kahm Harris. Many musical genres have a boys-only sort of vibe going on, and minorities do not feel comfortable. I don't blame women for not being involved, because the social aspects are irritating. I've been involved in the BM scene for over a decade, and people still ask me for nude pics or assume I'm just looking for a long-haired boyfriend, and many won't even discuss music with me because they think I'm not serious. This is also why I gave up on playing in bands with other people. Women in music are often judged by their looks, not their musical ability. I understand why women could get sick of that.

As for Schopenhauer, I just think he was a product of his times.

Old Artie was a miserable old coot; allegedly he once pushed a woman down a flight of stairs because he didn't like her voice.

Some philosophers and commentators say he was so melancholy it is a wonder he never bumped himself off.Rolleyes
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-08-2012, 04:44 PM
Haha, yeah probably he was just a miserable old coot, too. I did enjoy some of his writings on pessimism. As a woman, and even as a somewhat gender-dysphoric one, I just had to skim the misogynist stuff. ^_^
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes amyb's post
23-08-2012, 08:34 PM
(23-08-2012 04:44 PM)amyb Wrote:  Haha, yeah probably he was just a miserable old coot, too. I did enjoy some of his writings on pessimism. As a woman, and even as a somewhat gender-dysphoric one, I just had to skim the misogynist stuff. ^_^

Misogynist? Where?

[Image: tumblr_ku0bzlMt6i1qzkj39o1_500_thumb.png]

[Image: 4833fa13.jpg]
Poonjab
24-08-2012, 05:05 AM
Must... not... make... sexist... comment..

Hobo

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
24-08-2012, 05:41 AM
(24-08-2012 05:05 AM)Vosur Wrote:  Must... not... make... sexist... comment..

Hobo

Why stop now?Big Grin

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
24-08-2012, 06:04 AM
... look

I love women.. to a degree....

yes there are many differences... chemical inbalances .. physical.. yada yada and so on....

*sigh* nevermind ... basically it always ends with.. "Ya can't live with em' .. can't live without em.. "

Big Grin

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. -- Voltaire
24-08-2012, 04:33 PM
(24-08-2012 06:04 AM)ddrew Wrote:  ... look

I love women.. to a degree....

yes there are many differences... chemical inbalances .. physical.. yada yada and so on....

*sigh* nevermind ... basically it always ends with.. "Ya can't live with em' .. can't live without em.. "

Big Grin

This post has the potential to separate the men from the boys, the ladies.....ooops --women, from the girls and get into some really serious gender bending.
I'm keeping out of any potential developments.Wink
24-08-2012, 05:35 PM
I listen to women, therefore I can live with women.

Poonjab
25-08-2012, 04:37 AM
(24-08-2012 05:35 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  I don't listen to women, therefore I can live with women.
Fixed. Wink

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
25-08-2012, 05:22 AM
(25-08-2012 04:37 AM)Vosur Wrote:  
(24-08-2012 05:35 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  I don't listen to women, therefore I can live with women.
Fixed. Wink

Nah, I pretty much listen to them. It's not as if their problems are any less trivial than a man's.

Poonjab