Article on atheism - psychology today

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-05-2012, 09:03 PM
RE: Article on atheism - psychology today
Interesting video Ghost.

I think some of the things that stop an Empathic civilization from being realized is language barriers, censorship and propaganda.

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-05-2012, 07:26 AM
Hey, Light.

Thanks. I find this idea of the internet meme fascinating. On the one hand, it's not what memes are. But the idea itself is itself a meme. I really hope that makes some kind of sense.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
29-05-2012, 01:28 PM
(29-05-2012 07:26 AM)Ghost Wrote:  Hey, Light.

Thanks. I find this idea of the internet meme fascinating. On the one hand, it's not what memes are. But the idea itself is itself a meme. I really hope that makes some kind of sense.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
The internet (e.g. the physical communication medium/network and not the "idea" of an internet) is simply a reflection of "real life."

In other words, if someday we find ourselves all living in a virtualized, internet-driven alternate reality, then internet memes will be the "real" memes (if that makes any sense).

Dug the video. Shared it with my "real life" friends on Facebook ; )

In any case,

Join the Logic Speaks Community

I am the unconverted
29-05-2012, 09:47 PM (This post was last modified: 29-05-2012 10:04 PM by PeterKA.)
For a supposedly professional organization the article is a load of condescending crap
Firstly there have always been atheists. It is not a recent phenomenon. For sure they were isolated and usually closeted, but we always existed. If we did not why would all the holy books reserve special disdain for us? It is only really through the internet that we have been able to meet up and become more vocal to the point where we are starting to be seen as an opposing force
Secondly religion provides a social structure that atheism by its very definition does not. I may share your disbelief in God but that's probably it. I am pretty sure that we would not share many other social values or political stances - nor would we feel obliged to by peer pressure from those around us in our group.
Thirdly people are not shunned by other atheists if we find religion. For sure we will have our reasoning questioned, but the social consequences (Loss of job or promotion prospects, having friends and family dismiss us, etc...) are far less devastating than if the situation is reversed
And finally the idea that people in the 3rd world are more religious because they are less intelligent is beyond belief. They are more religious because they are raised in a theistic environment, they generally have less formal education and have little to no access to information that would cause them to think otherwise

The secret to a happy life is lowering your expectations to the point where they are already met
30-05-2012, 08:40 AM
(29-05-2012 09:47 PM)PeterKA Wrote:  For a supposedly professional organization the article is a load of condescending crap
Firstly there have always been atheists. It is not a recent phenomenon. For sure they were isolated and usually closeted, but we always existed. If we did not why would all the holy books reserve special disdain for us? It is only really through the internet that we have been able to meet up and become more vocal to the point where we are starting to be seen as an opposing force
Secondly religion provides a social structure that atheism by its very definition does not. I may share your disbelief in God but that's probably it. I am pretty sure that we would not share many other social values or political stances - nor would we feel obliged to by peer pressure from those around us in our group.
Thirdly people are not shunned by other atheists if we find religion. For sure we will have our reasoning questioned, but the social consequences (Loss of job or promotion prospects, having friends and family dismiss us, etc...) are far less devastating than if the situation is reversed
And finally the idea that people in the 3rd world are more religious because they are less intelligent is beyond belief. They are more religious because they are raised in a theistic environment, they generally have less formal education and have little to no access to information that would cause them to think otherwise
Do you have any empirical evidence that you can point to in order to support your claims?

Join the Logic Speaks Community

I am the unconverted
30-05-2012, 02:00 PM
(30-05-2012 08:40 AM)lightninlives Wrote:  
(29-05-2012 09:47 PM)PeterKA Wrote:  For a supposedly professional organization the article is a load of condescending crap
Do you have any empirical evidence that you can point to in order to support your claims?
I made a statement not a claim

The secret to a happy life is lowering your expectations to the point where they are already met