Artificial Food Dye Danger?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-10-2013, 06:15 AM
Artificial Food Dye Danger?
I was watching the news this morning, specifically NBC. They ran a story which suggested that artificial food dyes often worsen the behavior of children that have certain disorders such as ADHD. I would have probably been more skeptical, but apparently the FDA in America has recognized this correlation, but put no restriction on the dyes. The story later claimed that most European countries have required companies that use these dyes to put a big fat warning label on the packages. Many European companies, according to the story, have since dropped the use of artificial dyes in favor of natural dyes. In America no such warning is required, so artificial dyes remain king. Of course artificial dyes are a much cheaper solution than natural dyes, so there is a resistance to use them.

Personally, I could go without dyes at all. It would keep prices down, but I assume the psychology of the bright colors would hurt their profits.

Thoughts?

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-10-2013, 06:31 AM
RE: Artificial Food Dye Danger?
(29-10-2013 06:15 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  I was watching the news this morning, specifically NBC. They ran a story which suggested that artificial food dyes often worsen the behavior of children that have certain disorders such as ADHD. I would have probably been more skeptical, but apparently the FDA in America has recognized this correlation, but put no restriction on the dyes. The story later claimed that most European countries have required companies that use these dyes to put a big fat warning label on the packages. Many European companies, according to the story, have since dropped the use of artificial dyes in favor of natural dyes. In America no such warning is required, so artificial dyes remain king. Of course artificial dyes are a much cheaper solution than natural dyes, so there is a resistance to use them.

Personally, I could go without dyes at all. It would keep prices down, but I assume the psychology of the bright colors would hurt their profits.

Thoughts?

The curious case of red dye.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
29-10-2013, 06:58 AM
(29-10-2013 06:31 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(29-10-2013 06:15 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  I was watching the news this morning, specifically NBC. They ran a story which suggested that artificial food dyes often worsen the behavior of children that have certain disorders such as ADHD. I would have probably been more skeptical, but apparently the FDA in America has recognized this correlation, but put no restriction on the dyes. The story later claimed that most European countries have required companies that use these dyes to put a big fat warning label on the packages. Many European companies, according to the story, have since dropped the use of artificial dyes in favor of natural dyes. In America no such warning is required, so artificial dyes remain king. Of course artificial dyes are a much cheaper solution than natural dyes, so there is a resistance to use them.

Thoughts?

The curious case of red dye.

Amusing story, Chas. Danke! Smile

29-10-2013, 07:09 AM
I see it this way:

We have evolved as omnivores, and each region of the world provides plant and animal matter that, when combined, provides proper nutrients for us.

We still know very little about nutrition, as some lengthy conversations I had with doctors at the teaching Hospital in Portland revealed. At the time my husband had been on intravenous nutrients for several weeks and daily he deteriorated. He was literally skin and bones, with brittle hair and fingernails etc. No matter how many lipids they added, they could not get enough nutrients into him to support healing while not able to eat. He was failing, and it was all due to nutrition. When I asked what would help I was told a few big fat hamburgers would get it going again. They had no clue what was missing in their formulas.

So, our food requirements are finely balanced substances, and they are more complex than we are able to identify at this time.

Now, these requirements have evolved over a zillion years. Along comes the industrial revolution. Along come foreign substances in our food.

It stands to reason that these foreign substances don't always have a positive effect on us. Testing periods are short, we eat the stuff for a life time. No one knows what the effects are, and the food industry is most certainly not going to help.

My guess would be then that firstly these substances are causing our bodies to evolve in different directions, causing perhaps disorders or cancer in some cases, possibly also positive changes in other cases. We just do not know. And when we do find out - this thing about food dyes is not new, I read about it a couple of years ago - nothing happens and people continue to experience the negative effects.

Moral of the story: If it is something we have not evolved to process, it is safer to avoid it as best we can. Eat real food - un-tampered with - as much as possible. The long term effects of chemicals purposefully used in processing, or that sneak into food during processing such as leached plastics, is simply not known.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
31-10-2013, 08:25 PM
(29-10-2013 06:15 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  ...
suggested that artificial food dyes often worsen the behavior of children that have certain disorders such as ADHD. I would have probably been more skeptical,

"suggested"?!?!?

Wow! DL, DL, :sigh: DL :shakes head:

Have you never read any of my posts regarding my urticaria, Aspergers, ADD, my kids etc?

Additives, preservatives, colourants, casein, gluten blah, blah.

Fucking well leave them alone. They is bad.

Rolleyes

31-10-2013, 09:12 PM
(31-10-2013 08:25 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(29-10-2013 06:15 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  ...
suggested that artificial food dyes often worsen the behavior of children that have certain disorders such as ADHD. I would have probably been more skeptical,

"suggested"?!?!?

Wow! DL, DL, :sigh: DL :shakes head:

Have you never read any of my posts regarding my urticaria, Aspergers, ADD, my kids etc?

Additives, preservatives, colourants, casein, gluten blah, blah.

Fucking well leave them alone. They is bad.

Rolleyes

You just can't escape them all, man. No way! They are in everything. Without being a full-time farmer, or being extremely wealthy, it's nigh impossible to avoid. Ain't nobody got time for that. Maybe we need better government departments that recognize some of these dangers I'd be happier no knowing about. Confused