Artificial Sweetener Question

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-11-2013, 08:38 PM
Artificial Sweetener Question
Artificial sweeteners make me physically ill, like splenda, I've yet to find one that tasted good and didn't make me sick.

I'm trying to cut back on sugar. I've tried using honey...in some recipes it works ok...fruit juice is usually ok for pies...

I'm also going low carb...so the crust is problematic -- but I can work around it most times.

Any other suggestions?

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-11-2013, 08:44 PM
RE: Artificial Sweetener Question
(06-11-2013 08:38 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Artificial sweeteners make me physically ill, like splenda, I've yet to find one that tasted good and didn't make me sick.

I'm trying to cut back on sugar. I've tried using honey...in some recipes it works ok...fruit juice is usually ok for pies...

I'm also going low carb...so the crust is problematic -- but I can work around it most times.

Any other suggestions?

Have you tried Stevia? It doesn't have that horrible artificial sweetener aftertaste and has been used as a sweetener in South America for hundreds of years. It's a natural alternative to sugar.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
06-11-2013, 09:16 PM
Artificial sweeteners give me a headache and one years ago made me break out in a horrible case of hives. I steer clear of them.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
06-11-2013, 11:35 PM
(06-11-2013 08:44 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(06-11-2013 08:38 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Artificial sweeteners make me physically ill, like splenda, I've yet to find one that tasted good and didn't make me sick.

Any other suggestions?

Have you tried Stevia? It doesn't have that horrible artificial sweetener aftertaste and has been used as a sweetener in South America for hundreds of years. It's a natural alternative to sugar.

Yes, I have and couldn't stand it. The taste was ok, but it bothered me. Undecided

I rather eat something without sugar (almost). How sad is that?

06-11-2013, 11:38 PM
(06-11-2013 09:16 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Artificial sweeteners give me a headache and one years ago made me break out in a horrible case of hives. I steer clear of them.

I used to be able to handle them...but its weird when I became pregnant with second kiddo, I just would become super sick.
After I had him, I figured it wouid go back to normal but it never did.

07-11-2013, 12:41 AM (This post was last modified: 07-11-2013 01:01 AM by GirlyMan.)
I like Splenda a lot. Think it's the only one out there you can cook with and know what proportions to use. It's basically just indigestible sugar as far as I can tell. Agave nectar's another one but I've read some shit about it being bad on the triglycerides. Another one I just just found recently is Monk Fruit which is like 300x sweeter than sugar but how the fuck I'm gonna measure that for a recipe.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
07-11-2013, 02:59 AM
(07-11-2013 12:41 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I like Splenda a lot. Think it's the only one out there you can cook with and know what proportions to use. It's basically just indigestible sugar as far as I can tell. Agave nectar's another one but I've read some shit about it being bad on the triglycerides. Another one I just just found recently is Monk Fruit which is like 300x sweeter than sugar but how the fuck I'm gonna measure that for a recipe.

The problem with replacing sugar in baking is not just the sweetness but the Hygroscopic attributes of sugar. Sugar pulls moisture from the air thereby keeping baked goods made with sugar "moist" and is why sugar is treated as a "wet" ingredient in most recipes. In making sugar free (or sugar replaced) items that is one of the hardest things to figure out how much liquid to compensate for the removal of the sugar.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
07-11-2013, 08:44 AM
I don't have an alternative for you, just thought I'd chime in on how nasty artificial sugars are.

2.5 billion seconds total
1.67 billion seconds conscious

07-11-2013, 08:48 AM
Agave syrup - I don't think it's low carb (not sure, haven't checked) but it's low on the glycemic index and it tastes great, the light one tastes exactly like sugar, time and a half as strong, the amber tastes like maple syrup.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
07-11-2013, 09:28 PM
Rainbow RE: Artificial Sweetener Question
Like Splenda, doc told me it was the safest.
Love honey and milk!
Don't think sugar is all that fattening for coffee,tea etc.
Cakes, pastries, lollies more the culprits...........