Artificial Sweetener Question

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-11-2013, 09:50 PM
RE: Artificial Sweetener Question
(07-11-2013 12:41 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I like Splenda a lot. Think it's the only one out there you can cook with and know what proportions to use. It's basically just indigestible sugar as far as I can tell. Agave nectar's another one but I've read some shit about it being bad on the triglycerides. Another one I just just found recently is Monk Fruit which is like 300x sweeter than sugar but how the fuck I'm gonna measure that for a recipe.

I guess I'm screwed and should just stick with savory stuff.

Splenda was the first one I tried. Awful stuff (at least to me).

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-11-2013, 09:51 PM
RE: Artificial Sweetener Question
(07-11-2013 02:59 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(07-11-2013 12:41 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I like Splenda a lot. Think it's the only one out there you can cook with and know what proportions to use. It's basically just indigestible sugar as far as I can tell. Agave nectar's another one but I've read some shit about it being bad on the triglycerides. Another one I just just found recently is Monk Fruit which is like 300x sweeter than sugar but how the fuck I'm gonna measure that for a recipe.

The problem with replacing sugar in baking is not just the sweetness but the Hygroscopic attributes of sugar. Sugar pulls moisture from the air thereby keeping baked goods made with sugar "moist" and is why sugar is treated as a "wet" ingredient in most recipes. In making sugar free (or sugar replaced) items that is one of the hardest things to figure out how much liquid to compensate for the removal of the sugar.

Yes...this!

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply