Artist Corner

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
08-04-2014, 07:24 PM
RE: Artist Corner
(06-04-2014 01:40 PM)Eva Wrote:  This is a talent filled thread. I have loved looking at everyone's artwork Thumbsup

I painted my avatar in acrylics and the below is in coloured pencils.

[Image: veil2.jpg]

I've been trying to figure out what this picture reminds me of. I finally realized what!

There was this game I used to play when I was a kid called Final Fantasy, and the box cover artwork looked just like this, by a man named Yoshitaka Amano!

http://kotaku.com/5917619/the-beautiful-...taka-amano

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Raptor Jesus's post
12-04-2014, 05:41 PM
I call this piece "Cherokee Janus." It's a digital collage created on Microsoft Paint.

[Image: ti8m.png]

This piece is illustrative of the changing face of Cherokee identity over the last two centuries. The left side illustrates their adoption of white culture, including wearing western clothing and slavery, during the 19th-century. The white mask is in all indicative of the aura of white civility that they tried to portray, a shield protecting them from discrimination--this was a time when Native groups were being targeted for eradication--and (especially because of the grimace) their negative views towards African Americans. The right side illustrates their internalization of the hegemonic ideology of "blood quantum," a pseudoscientific measure of blood purity, during the 20th-century. For instance, a person's blood quantum would be one-half if their mother and father were full Cherokee and European. The increments vary depending on how much intermarriage outside the tribe took place. Some Cherokee consider those with higher levels of native blood to be more "authentic." This is why Cherokee Janus is telling Uncle Sam (the government) that his blood quantum is around the 3/4 mark. Also, blood quantum is used as the basis for determining if someone is able to become a member of the Cherokee Nation. The way to do this is to prove that one's tribal ancestors were listed on the Dawes Roll (1893-1906), a government census of Native groups. This is why Cherokee Janus is also showing Uncle Sam the name of his ancestor (indicated by the red X) on the document. The latter's stern continuance indicates both the government's negative view of Natives and the stinginess with which they dole out treaty-guaranteed healthcare and financial aid (the cash in his hand).
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like ghostexorcist's post
13-04-2014, 06:35 PM
(31-03-2014 01:38 AM)Raptor Jesus Wrote:  Keeping on the pig theme...

Here is a very roughly sketched out idea for a project I'm working on. Will post the finished work when I'm done.

And yes, that is an old timey boar, wearing a bowler hat, slicing bacon.

[Image: Image1-5_zps2c0ad035.jpg]

Update on this rough draft picture. The following is the same picture, still working on. I'm going for a woodblock style with it.

What do you think so far of the woodblock motif, good or bad?

P.S., still a work in progress

[Image: 10168976_10201280233722534_1979595862_n....e=534DA82C]

[+] 4 users Like Raptor Jesus's post
13-04-2014, 06:40 PM
(13-04-2014 06:35 PM)Raptor Jesus Wrote:  

Here is a very roughly sketched out idea for a project I'm working on. Will post the finished work when I'm done.

Update on this rough draft picture. The following is the same picture, still working on. I'm going for a woodblock style with it.

I like it a lot! I love the fur detail and that there's a pupil but it's not that big (cuz if it was much bigger it'd look weird but it'd look weirder without a pupil)! oh and the lines in the shirt are good too. Man, I bet this'll be good when it's finished! Is black and yellow the colors it's going to be when finished?

[Image: notagain.gif]
13-04-2014, 06:45 PM
(13-04-2014 06:40 PM)Miss Suzanne Wrote:  
(13-04-2014 06:35 PM)Raptor Jesus Wrote:  Update on this rough draft picture. The following is the same picture, still working on. I'm going for a woodblock style with it.

I like it a lot! I love the fur detail and that there's a pupil but it's not that big (cuz if it was much bigger it'd look weird but it'd look weirder without a pupil)! oh and the lines in the shirt are good too. Man, I bet this'll be good when it's finished! Is black and yellow the colors it's going to be when finished?

Most likely black because it fits the woodblock style, but it doesn't have to be. As long as the black part is the darker color I'm cool with it. The background color could be almost anything. Haven't decided yet. Just put that color there at this point for reference.

13-04-2014, 06:58 PM
(13-04-2014 06:45 PM)Raptor Jesus Wrote:  
(13-04-2014 06:40 PM)Miss Suzanne Wrote:  I like it a lot! I love the fur detail and that there's a pupil but it's not that big (cuz if it was much bigger it'd look weird but it'd look weirder without a pupil)! oh and the lines in the shirt are good too. Man, I bet this'll be good when it's finished! Is black and yellow the colors it's going to be when finished?

Most likely black because it fits the woodblock style, but it doesn't have to be. As long as the black part is the darker color I'm cool with it. The background color could be almost anything. Haven't decided yet. Just put that color there at this point for reference.

Sounds good to me. You just keep havin' fun with it and don't let it drive you crazy!

[Image: notagain.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Miss Suzanne's post
13-04-2014, 07:37 PM
(12-04-2014 05:41 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  I call this piece "Cherokee Janus." It's a digital collage created on Microsoft Paint.

[Image: ti8m.png]

This piece is illustrative of the changing face of Cherokee identity over the last two centuries. The left side illustrates their adoption of white culture, including wearing western clothing and slavery, during the 19th-century. The white mask is in all indicative of the aura of white civility that they tried to portray, a shield protecting them from discrimination--this was a time when Native groups were being targeted for eradication--and (especially because of the grimace) their negative views towards African Americans. The right side illustrates their internalization of the hegemonic ideology of "blood quantum," a pseudoscientific measure of blood purity, during the 20th-century. For instance, a person's blood quantum would be one-half if their mother and father were full Cherokee and European. The increments vary depending on how much intermarriage outside the tribe took place. Some Cherokee consider those with higher levels of native blood to be more "authentic." This is why Cherokee Janus is telling Uncle Sam (the government) that his blood quantum is around the 3/4 mark. Also, blood quantum is used as the basis for determining if someone is able to become a member of the Cherokee Nation. The way to do this is to prove that one's tribal ancestors were listed on the Dawes Roll (1893-1906), a government census of Native groups. This is why Cherokee Janus is also showing Uncle Sam the name of his ancestor (indicated by the red X) on the document. The latter's stern continuance indicates both the government's negative view of Natives and the stinginess with which they dole out treaty-guaranteed healthcare and financial aid (the cash in his hand).

I just learned that this submitted piece was accepted by my university's art magazine, Inklings. It will appear in the Spring edition.
[+] 1 user Likes ghostexorcist's post
13-04-2014, 09:38 PM
(13-04-2014 06:35 PM)Raptor Jesus Wrote:  

This is fantastic! The wood block technique is very cleaver and matches the subject matter to a T- also the color and uh choppy look reminds me of the wood blocks that butchers use
Even though you say it is a work in progress it seems complete.
I always have trouble making my work seem like the total package if that makes any sense so good job! What else are you planning on doing to it?
14-04-2014, 11:05 AM (This post was last modified: 14-04-2014 11:09 AM by Raptor Jesus.)
(13-04-2014 09:38 PM)QUELSQUELS Wrote:  
(13-04-2014 06:35 PM)Raptor Jesus Wrote:  Update on this rough draft picture. The following is the same picture, still working on. I'm going for a woodblock style with it.

This is fantastic! The wood block technique is very cleaver and matches the subject matter to a T- also the color and uh choppy look reminds me of the wood blocks that butchers use
Even though you say it is a work in progress it seems complete.
I always have trouble making my work seem like the total package if that makes any sense so good job! What else are you planning on doing to it?

Thanks Quels. That essentially what I was going for. I figured it was an old timie butcher I was going for, so wood block style should have fit it well.

To answer your question, it's only half finished. That's why you can only see it from the chest up. Still working on the rest down.

Also, there are always little details, probably unnoticeable, even in the finished parts that I will keep working on up until I reach the date I have no choice but to stop with it.

A picture is never “done” even after you’ve declared it finished. There are always endless things you feel compelled to do, add, change, or fix. All you can do at some point is walk away and abandon it.

Either you abandon the work too soon, too late, or right on time. But you never finish it, you just walk away and accept it as it is at that point.

29-04-2014, 05:43 PM
This is a replica of the magic staff used by the literary character Sun Wukong, the Monkey King, from the Chinese classic Journey to the West (1592). I created it for an archaeology class on material culture. It is made from a black iron pipe, which fits the literary description of the weapon. The ancient "Small Script" Chinese characters read "The Compliant Golden-Hooped Rod. Weight: 17,550 lbs." It is pretty heavy for its size.

[Image: 45xu.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like ghostexorcist's post