As Snagglepuss the lion said, "Exit, stage left!"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-10-2011, 12:04 AM
As Snagglepuss the lion said, "Exit, stage left!"
I have decided to take a hiatus from the forum. I may still hang once in a while, I don't know. I think it's just time to give myself to other modes of examination and re-examination. Anyway, I think everyone should do a trial grand exit once in a while. It gives us a chance to baste in the glories of that last ride into the sunset. This way, if you screwed it up, you can come back and try it again.

I wanted to make one more little comment before I go on a hike. I want to take exception to Stark Raving's signature. I believe it to be incorrect. This is in no way a jab or criticism of Ghost who originated the statement. It's just a difference of opinion or maybe a different way of looking at it. I am sure it could be argued either way. Feel free to exercise your abilities to define it your own way. I won't argue.

I have come to a certain shaky conclusion while I have been sharing this forum with you. It is that humans may never change. We can't search for reality or understanding without personal conflict. We can't just tear off the ego long enough to try to look for logic in the mayhem. We can't even communicate without padding everything with suspicion. We can't communicate because we have no definition for it. In short, if we are to find truth in anything, we must try to separate the personae from the data, reexamine the data, then decide whether they can fit back together. If not, adjust the person accordingly. Otherwise, it's only fight, it's only war, it's only the same old....

The statement says:

"what DO you believe? That will define you."

I disagree.

Beliefs are changeable, arbitrary and ambiguous. Once we have one, we have to decide what we do or don't do with that belief multiplying the ambiguity. Some people do what they don't believe, some don't do what they do believe. Doing what we believe is more logical, but it's an arbitrary choice depending on how we wish to proceed.

Belief is a collection of information and conclusions. If each of us lived on an island by ourselves, then what we believe is the only belief, nullifying belief; belief becomes "is". Our "self definition" would be one dimensional and simply "self" or the embodiment of existing; there are no other "selves" for comparison to give rise to a value. So, neither belief nor our definition of self are valid; it's a null pointer.

If we are living in an interactive world, the definition of ourself becomes valid only by how we compare ourselves to that world. Therefore, how we offer ourselves to be perceived by others and how we interact with that world will always and exclusively be what defines us.

Beliefs are ambiguous. It's what you DO. That will define you.

Defacto7 - post #200 and out.

Who can turn skies back and begin again?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes defacto7's post
16-10-2011, 12:50 AM
RE: As Snagglepuss the lion said, "Exit, stage left!"
Angel Heavens to murgatroid! Angel

It's always a good thing to get away for a bit - take it easy. Smile

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
16-10-2011, 08:46 AM
Waily, waily!

If you pray to anything, you're prey to anything.
[+] 1 user Likes Peterkin's post
16-10-2011, 09:54 AM

(16-10-2011 12:04 AM)defacto7 Wrote:  The statement says:

"what DO you believe? That will define you."

I disagree.

We would have to start with defining the word: ‘define’.

But, let’s suppose we have similar ideas about the meaning of the word, so we can proceed from there.

No one person has a single definition but many of them, simultaneously.

There is my self-image – that is how I define myself, and even that is changing from year to year, as I grow and mature.

Then there is the way every single person I have ever met defined me, based on what they knew about me, what they thought they knew about me and whatever overall impression they had about me.

In my long life so far, I have met hundreds, if not thousands of people. Some of them think I am great and love/like me. Some of them are the exact opposite. They are all sure they defined me correctly. And, I am the exact same person with all those labels stuck on my forehead.

What do I believe in? In many things and in nothing. I don’t like the expression ‘believe in’ because of its religious connotation. I never fully ‘believe in’ any one thing. I have doubts about everything, to lower or higher degree. I say that I respect truth above all else, but even truth is a relative term, fluid, nebulous, undefined once you look at it at a close enough range.

If I want to nail it down to one particular thing that comes closest to defining me, I would say it is doubt. You may call it sitting on a fence and not coming down on either side as a cowardly, chicken-shit attitude, but I love my doubts. They make me feel safe. They keep all doors open for me, so I am free to change my mind about anything if I see a good enough reason to do so.

So, if someone twists my arm really hard, I would make the following statement: What defines me is my relationship to the universe around me: curiosity, awe, empathy, compassion, assumptions and doubts. Belief does not come into it.

PS. There is one thing I strongly believe, in the context of this thread: defacto7 has been a major contributor to this Forum with his curiosity, his honesty, his passion, his intelligent, out-of-the-box perception and I will miss him a lot.
Quote this message in a reply