As Stan says...I learned something today...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-08-2016, 12:34 PM
As Stan says...I learned something today...
I don't know if this is the proper place for this post, because it's just a comment on my personal growth, I guess...but here it is. Smile

Being here on TTA has been very good for me, in a way I never expected. I just figured I'd "shoot the shit" (Texas-ism) with a buncha like-minded folks and have some good arguments.
But I found the place chock full of liberals! Eek! What do I do? Very early, I nearly just bailed out. Very nearly. You guys asked me to stay. Huh?
I have lived my life with little or no "filter". I say what is on my mind, and although I'm the type of person who considers others' feelings, (so I do possess that sort of filter) I never cared or even truly considered consequences. I'm 50 years old now.

Luckily, I have some skills. I am very, very good at hand- eye coordination, 3 dimensional thinking/conceptualizing, and I am a big strong guy who excels at the physical- I have three black belts in 3 different disciplines and literally grew up in weapons training- the result of a military family in Texas. On top of that, luckily, I'm not stupid. I'm no Stephen Hawking, although my IQ is a MENSA-ready 163, (I am a member, for all THAT'S worth) but I'm not your typical big, dumb jock, either. (If anyone is interested, I was 6' 230lbs with 7% body fat. I lost an inch when I broke my back, so I'm 5'11 230 at 8%. Just recently I put on a few pounds which are back off now.)

Immodesty? No, I have a point. I was ABLE to be filterless due to two things- maybe three, but that 3rd one does sound immodest. One- my size and self confidence, physically. Many people will not challenge me despite their feelings. Two- I have actual, demonstrable ability. I was incredibly hard to beat in air-to-air (dogfighting) in the air force, I think 3 dimensionally and my body could take the g forces. Besides an intimidation factor with other tac pilots, fighting is what we were there for, so I was valuable. In the police department, particularly SWAT, I was the guy you wanted with you, because there is never a doubt that I have your back. In fact you have to stop me from going first, it's just my nature. And finally, third, if I may. Most people find me likable, if they get to know me. I am a caring person who WILL drive 20 hours round trip to rescue someone I met Thursday. I'm a sucker.

But then I come here. NONE of that matters AT ALL. You can't see me, or feel me. You can't hear my voice. We aren't in physical danger together. I could be a 5 ft tall, 90 lb dress designer named Rascal. Nobody knows.

So I have to either incur the wrath of the mob, or learn to curb my tongue. Since I like you folks and I like this atmosphere, for the very first time in 5 decades...I do. Mostly. Smile

I find myself shaking my head at a post and moving on to another, instead of diving in and forcing my opinion down everyones' throats! I also find myself arguing from a place that is totally nonphysical, which means accepting the other person's views, commenting on them, and offering an alternative based on my own perspective, instead of ramming my thoughts at people like a...well, a ram. Smile
The really bizarre thing, the thing that prompted me to write this post, is this:
During this process, for the first time in my life, (although I have been unaware of it) I am actually seeing from the other person's perspective. I may still disagree, but now I am seeing what they are saying in an entirely new way, as if I am taking their place for a moment in the world.

It's oddly liberating, when you would assume the opposite would be true.

I still completely avoid the political rooms, though. Smartass

Anyway...thanks, guys, is what I'm trying to say. Worship Slaves Heart
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like The Dark One's post
27-08-2016, 12:48 PM
RE: As Stan says...I learned something today...
Welcome to the forum DarkSoul. You fit in just fine. Thumbsup

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
27-08-2016, 12:57 PM
(27-08-2016 12:48 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Welcome to the forum DarkSoul. You fit in just fine. Thumbsup

Thanks Girly...I have even come to like you, you jackass. YesCool
27-08-2016, 01:02 PM
(27-08-2016 12:34 PM)The Dark One Wrote:  I don't know if this is the proper place for this post, because it's just a comment on my personal growth, I guess...but here it is. Smile

Technically, probably not... but it's a place where no one gets to give you shit and this post was personal enough (and eloquent enough, I'd like to add for no real reason) to belong in this section. So... why not? Smile

(27-08-2016 12:34 PM)The Dark One Wrote:  ...
there is never a doubt that I have your back. In fact you have to stop me from going first

Having said that, I have to now resist chiding you for your positional contradiction, above. Tongue

Unless, you can add "being in two places at the same time" to your list of achievements? Big Grin

That's a pity. That leaves Girlyman as the only card-carrying Republican battling against the onslaught of hippy, wishy-washy, pinko, commie, liberals. He can't do it alone, man!

Anyway...thanks, guys, is what I'm trying to say. Worship Slaves Heart

Happy you stayed.

Thumbsup

27-08-2016, 01:12 PM
We'll make a lefty out of you yet. Big Grin
[+] 2 users Like pablo's post
27-08-2016, 01:12 PM
Well done TDO. Takes courage to write that sort of thing - but from your story that is a quality that I doubt you lack!

Sensible to keep out of politics I just hate the whole subject, but still have things to say - if usually sarcastic things.

Not been here long m'self, but happy to know you.

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
[+] 2 users Like Gloucester's post
27-08-2016, 01:20 PM (This post was last modified: 27-08-2016 02:18 PM by Full Circle.)
Glad we could help you, you ol’ Rascal you. Angel

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
27-08-2016, 01:26 PM
(27-08-2016 01:02 PM)DLJ Wrote:  

That's a pity. That leaves Girlyman as the only card-carrying Republican battling against the onslaught of hippy, wishy-washy, pinko, commie, liberals. He can't do it alone, man!

#sigh
27-08-2016, 01:31 PM
I like you too Mr Dark even though you're conservative, I'll let that slide. Thumbsup Laugh out load

What I wanna know is, who the hell is Stan? This guy??? v v v

[Image: 2590320c50256d599adcc8423f3b53b5.jpg]

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
27-08-2016, 02:04 PM
Glad to see you stuck around man. You are an interesting member. This place is a good place, I don't post a whole lot these days, due to time restraints, but I'm here lurking daily and contribute when I can. But this forum is a part of my daily sanity check.

As long as you are a good soul looking for other good souls, you'll find a home here, even as a right wing gun nut. Tongue

Welcome to the madhouse, good to have you.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 2 users Like evenheathen's post