As Stan says...I learned something today...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-08-2016, 05:01 PM
RE: As Stan says...I learned something today...
I'm glad you're here. Frankly, we could use more conservative voices, here. The few we have tend to be rather abrasive, to put it nicely. I hope you feel more free to speak out. On the other hand, I'm glad we're providing you with something to think about, even if you end up not agreeing with us. Liberals are no less prone to the "I know what I know and nothing you can say will change my mind" syndrome than conservatives are, unfortunately.

And you're smarter than me. Nice! My IQ's 158.

As to the "You have a gay friend?" quip someone made, I've often been amazed at the way certain forms of bigotry have managed to insinuate themselves into the GOP platform (and social culture), in particular homophobia, because the actions taken to enforce such Christian notions at a government level are completely incompatible with conservative philosophy. The mental gymnastics I see from those who try to support them are darkly amusing, to me.

I hope you become a long-term member, here.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
27-08-2016, 05:22 PM
Quote:You gotz a gay friend. Gasp

See, you are more liberal than you let on. Wink

LOL...well, I have several, but I don't call it liberal, just "human". I'm really a lousy Republican, but I'm a worse Democrat. So I call myself a Republican. Consider

I'm just about freedom, I want to be left alone, I don't want to be punished or restricted because of what some other jackass did, you know?

I have two transvestite friends and a wanna-be transgender friend if he can get the money together. I'm practically a Bernie! Sadcryface2
[+] 3 users Like The Dark One's post
27-08-2016, 05:29 PM
Quote:I hope you become a long-term member, here.

Thank you, RS! I enjoy it. I'm not sure I'd sweat the 163/158 thing, I really have my doubts about the rw validity of those numbers. I know people who are 135 who I feel can think circles around me in some areas, and I have a buddy who is a whopping 176, he does the dumbest crap you've ever seen. He can't put something down and ever find it again, he loses his car in parking lots, he always loses his phone, his keys, his wallet.Supposedly it's because his brain is sort of hyperactive and he loses track of mundane day-to-day things. Hmm...

He also works for the government . How smart can he be? Big Grin

I will attempt to carry the flag for conservatives, as best I can. Thumbsup
27-08-2016, 05:30 PM
I'm off- the wife wants to go see "Don't Breathe". Take care, friends...see you when I get home. Smile
[+] 2 users Like The Dark One's post
27-08-2016, 05:41 PM
Yes, I think IQ figures are useless, except as a generic meter. The brain is a complex thing, and I know people with very low IQs who are nevertheless astoundingly good at other areas that require mental horsepower.

I occasionally give the example of a star wide receiver, and the number of calculations it takes a brain to operate the body while dodging and running at that speed, maintaining a preset pattern instantly modified for the behavior of the defenders, and adjusting for the ballistics of the football in order to arrive on time and move their hands in order to catch that ball.

More importantly, I don't care what a person's IQ is, in terms of their worth as a person. My questions are: are you curious about things? Do you seek out new knowledge? Do you question your current ideas? Do you listen to others and care about what they think and why they think it? What can your brain do that mine cannot?

It's as silly to look down on people for having low IQs (or look up to them for high ones) as it is to think a person is more valuable because they are taller. I am 5'9" tall and 170#... but I am no less of a person than you are because you're much bigger, physically?

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
27-08-2016, 05:43 PM (This post was last modified: 27-08-2016 05:46 PM by GirlyMan.)
(27-08-2016 05:01 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  And you're smarter than me. Nice! My IQ's 158.

My IQ's like 87 last time the white coats measured it. I was not impressed with their units of measure.

#sigh
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
27-08-2016, 05:46 PM
(27-08-2016 05:43 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(27-08-2016 05:01 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  And you're smarter than me. Nice! My IQ's 158.

My IQ's like 87 last time the white coats measured it. I was not impressed with their analytical skills.

Demand a recount. Tongue

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
27-08-2016, 06:42 PM
(27-08-2016 05:22 PM)The Dark One Wrote:  
Quote:You gotz a gay friend. Gasp

See, you are more liberal than you let on. Wink

LOL...well, I have several, but I don't call it liberal, just "human". I'm really a lousy Republican, but I'm a worse Democrat. So I call myself a Republican. Consider

I'm just about freedom, I want to be left alone, I don't want to be punished or restricted because of what some other jackass did, you know?

I have two transvestite friends and a wanna-be transgender friend if he can get the money together. I'm practically a Bernie! Sadcryface2

Dodgy Another freakin' Libertarian.

Laugh out load
27-08-2016, 07:36 PM
(27-08-2016 12:34 PM)The Dark One Wrote:  I don't know if this is the proper place for this post, because it's just a comment on my personal growth, I guess...but here it is. Smile

Being here on TTA has been very good for me, in a way I never expected. I just figured I'd "shoot the shit" (Texas-ism) with a buncha like-minded folks and have some good arguments.
But I found the place chock full of liberals! Eek! What do I do? Very early, I nearly just bailed out. Very nearly. You guys asked me to stay. Huh?
I have lived my life with little or no "filter". I say what is on my mind, and although I'm the type of person who considers others' feelings, (so I do possess that sort of filter) I never cared or even truly considered consequences. I'm 50 years old now.

Luckily, I have some skills. I am very, very good at hand- eye coordination, 3 dimensional thinking/conceptualizing, and I am a big strong guy who excels at the physical- I have three black belts in 3 different disciplines and literally grew up in weapons training- the result of a military family in Texas. On top of that, luckily, I'm not stupid. I'm no Stephen Hawking, although my IQ is a MENSA-ready 163, (I am a member, for all THAT'S worth) but I'm not your typical big, dumb jock, either. (If anyone is interested, I was 6' 230lbs with 7% body fat. I lost an inch when I broke my back, so I'm 5'11 230 at 8%. Just recently I put on a few pounds which are back off now.)

Immodesty? No, I have a point. I was ABLE to be filterless due to two things- maybe three, but that 3rd one does sound immodest. One- my size and self confidence, physically. Many people will not challenge me despite their feelings. Two- I have actual, demonstrable ability. I was incredibly hard to beat in air-to-air (dogfighting) in the air force, I think 3 dimensionally and my body could take the g forces. Besides an intimidation factor with other tac pilots, fighting is what we were there for, so I was valuable. In the police department, particularly SWAT, I was the guy you wanted with you, because there is never a doubt that I have your back. In fact you have to stop me from going first, it's just my nature. And finally, third, if I may. Most people find me likable, if they get to know me. I am a caring person who WILL drive 20 hours round trip to rescue someone I met Thursday. I'm a sucker.

But then I come here. NONE of that matters AT ALL. You can't see me, or feel me. You can't hear my voice. We aren't in physical danger together. I could be a 5 ft tall, 90 lb dress designer named Rascal. Nobody knows.

So I have to either incur the wrath of the mob, or learn to curb my tongue. Since I like you folks and I like this atmosphere, for the very first time in 5 decades...I do. Mostly. Smile

I find myself shaking my head at a post and moving on to another, instead of diving in and forcing my opinion down everyones' throats! I also find myself arguing from a place that is totally nonphysical, which means accepting the other person's views, commenting on them, and offering an alternative based on my own perspective, instead of ramming my thoughts at people like a...well, a ram. Smile
The really bizarre thing, the thing that prompted me to write this post, is this:
During this process, for the first time in my life, (although I have been unaware of it) I am actually seeing from the other person's perspective. I may still disagree, but now I am seeing what they are saying in an entirely new way, as if I am taking their place for a moment in the world.

It's oddly liberating, when you would assume the opposite would be true.

I still completely avoid the political rooms, though. Smartass

Anyway...thanks, guys, is what I'm trying to say. Worship Slaves Heart

Thanks for the self-exposition. You can lower your shields as far as I'm concerned. Yes

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
27-08-2016, 08:01 PM
(27-08-2016 07:36 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(27-08-2016 12:34 PM)The Dark One Wrote:  I don't know if this is the proper place for this post, because it's just a comment on my personal growth, I guess...but here it is. Smile

Being here on TTA has been very good for me, in a way I never expected. I just figured I'd "shoot the shit" (Texas-ism) with a buncha like-minded folks and have some good arguments.
But I found the place chock full of liberals! Eek! What do I do? Very early, I nearly just bailed out. Very nearly. You guys asked me to stay. Huh?
I have lived my life with little or no "filter". I say what is on my mind, and although I'm the type of person who considers others' feelings, (so I do possess that sort of filter) I never cared or even truly considered consequences. I'm 50 years old now.

Luckily, I have some skills. I am very, very good at hand- eye coordination, 3 dimensional thinking/conceptualizing, and I am a big strong guy who excels at the physical- I have three black belts in 3 different disciplines and literally grew up in weapons training- the result of a military family in Texas. On top of that, luckily, I'm not stupid. I'm no Stephen Hawking, although my IQ is a MENSA-ready 163, (I am a member, for all THAT'S worth) but I'm not your typical big, dumb jock, either. (If anyone is interested, I was 6' 230lbs with 7% body fat. I lost an inch when I broke my back, so I'm 5'11 230 at 8%. Just recently I put on a few pounds which are back off now.)

Immodesty? No, I have a point. I was ABLE to be filterless due to two things- maybe three, but that 3rd one does sound immodest. One- my size and self confidence, physically. Many people will not challenge me despite their feelings. Two- I have actual, demonstrable ability. I was incredibly hard to beat in air-to-air (dogfighting) in the air force, I think 3 dimensionally and my body could take the g forces. Besides an intimidation factor with other tac pilots, fighting is what we were there for, so I was valuable. In the police department, particularly SWAT, I was the guy you wanted with you, because there is never a doubt that I have your back. In fact you have to stop me from going first, it's just my nature. And finally, third, if I may. Most people find me likable, if they get to know me. I am a caring person who WILL drive 20 hours round trip to rescue someone I met Thursday. I'm a sucker.

But then I come here. NONE of that matters AT ALL. You can't see me, or feel me. You can't hear my voice. We aren't in physical danger together. I could be a 5 ft tall, 90 lb dress designer named Rascal. Nobody knows.

So I have to either incur the wrath of the mob, or learn to curb my tongue. Since I like you folks and I like this atmosphere, for the very first time in 5 decades...I do. Mostly. Smile

I find myself shaking my head at a post and moving on to another, instead of diving in and forcing my opinion down everyones' throats! I also find myself arguing from a place that is totally nonphysical, which means accepting the other person's views, commenting on them, and offering an alternative based on my own perspective, instead of ramming my thoughts at people like a...well, a ram. Smile
The really bizarre thing, the thing that prompted me to write this post, is this:
During this process, for the first time in my life, (although I have been unaware of it) I am actually seeing from the other person's perspective. I may still disagree, but now I am seeing what they are saying in an entirely new way, as if I am taking their place for a moment in the world.

It's oddly liberating, when you would assume the opposite would be true.

I still completely avoid the political rooms, though. Smartass

Anyway...thanks, guys, is what I'm trying to say. Worship Slaves Heart

Thanks for the self-exposition. You can lower your shields as far as I'm concerned. Yes

You're not a Romulan, are you? Huh

Laugh out load