As Stan says...I learned something today...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-08-2016, 09:19 PM
RE: As Stan says...I learned something today...
Still don't know who this Stan guy is Tongue but glad you are sticking around.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-08-2016, 11:42 PM
I reckon I'm pretty smart ... I've got to take off my cowboy boots to count up my IQ.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
28-08-2016, 12:41 AM
(27-08-2016 07:36 PM)Chas Wrote:  ...
Thanks for the self-exposition. You can lower your shields as far as I'm concerned. Yes

Don't do it, Dark One!

It's a trap!

Angel

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
28-08-2016, 03:17 AM
Quote:I am 5'9" tall and 170#... but I am no less of a person than you are because you're much bigger, physically?

Well...I mean, logically, you ARE 60 pounds less of a person than I am,
I guess... Laughat

Of course not- that's the sort of thinking that got women stuck in second place for so long. Smaller, physically weaker, therefore not as valuable. Stupid. Try taking care of 3 small children without shredding your own brain with a rasp just to escape the torture! Never happen. Yet women do it with ease...likewise putting up with men, or more importantly, making a man who is an idiot feel confident enough about himself to get a job he isn't qualified for so she can have the standard of living she's always dreamed of! (before women entered the workplace). Now THAT is smart. Thumbsup

I am simply not that smart. I'm not an idiot, thank goodness, but frankly, I'd rather read a book or build something or play my guitar than think...in fact, I go to extreme lengths to AVOID thinking, pretty often! Another reason I'm surprised to be here... Consider
[+] 1 user Likes The Dark One's post
28-08-2016, 03:22 AM
Quote:Dodgy Another freakin' Libertarian.

Nah..I don't disagree with everything libertarian, but it doesn't rock my world, either. A little too...hmm...pussified a word? Big Grin

I have just never figured out the problem with gays and transvestites and the like...I mean, worst case, more pretty girls for me, right? Thumbsup Besides which, I can't have freedom if everyone doesn't have freedom....so...freedom for everybody!

Laugh out load
[/quote]
28-08-2016, 03:27 AM
Quote:You're not a Romulan, are you? Huh

I'M certainly not a Romulan, but I will admit...I've often fantasized about one of those green chicks. Yes
28-08-2016, 03:31 AM
Quote:Still don't know who this Stan guy is Tongue but glad you are sticking around.

Thanks! Thumbsup Don't sweat the Stan reference...just more evidence that I'm not that smart... Hobo
28-08-2016, 03:41 AM (This post was last modified: 28-08-2016 03:47 AM by The Dark One.)
Quote:Chas Wrote:
Thanks for the self-exposition. You can lower your shields as far as I'm concerned. Yes

Don't do it, Dark One!

It's a trap!

Ha! Even I know that! What Chas doesn't know is that while he was busily typing away, trying to lure me into his noose, my associates were cleverly attaching tin cans to the back of his car, in such a way that they are all but invisible until the car is in motion...and then...BAM! They fall down and are dragged behind his car, making a godawful racket that can be heard for several feet! As if this heinous act were not enough, I also had my associates hack his email accounts, so that now every time he inserts a happy smiley face, in actuality, he will be inserting...I can hardly stand it myself...a FROWNIE face! Ha! All of his relationships will wither and die. He will be chased out of town, as a loud, unhappy man with no friends.

Tis a cruel fate, but...a deserved one.

Alas, poor Chas...I knew him well...

Knights who say NI!
28-08-2016, 03:44 AM
(28-08-2016 03:17 AM)The Dark One Wrote:  Well...I mean, logically, you ARE 60 pounds less of a person than I am,
I guess... Laughat

Touché. And actually, height does matter in our culture, as you're statistically more likely to have a higher income than I am, based entirely on the difference between our heights. We still psychologically defer to the "Alpha Male" build stereotype, left over from the days when male size was critical to intraspecies combat (sexual dimorphism, almost everywhere in nature, is the result of combat among tribes or between males competing for access to mates, rather than threats from other species), to the tune of up to 8% per inch... though the advantage plateaus out around six feet in height.

How well the person meets standards of attractiveness matters, too, and even among women, they tend to defer to the best-endowed (I cannot find the study on this, but I remember reading it-- figuring out how to phrase Google searches about breasts so you don't get a lot of off-topic spam is difficult, it turns out). My point is, we're more like monkeys than we like to pretend.

Oh, I've been waiting for you to reply to the earlier questioners that you meant Stan from South Park... though Kyle says that phrase, too.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
28-08-2016, 04:11 AM
Quote:Oh, I've been waiting for you to reply to the earlier questioners that you meant Stan from South Park... though Kyle says that phrase, too.

Yeah, I know...I used Stan because I thought Kyle was too obvious. Turns out not to be the case, I guess Laughat

Things like height are so funny, to me. You say pay tends to be more with vertical development, and I believe you, but I can remember in 10th grade- the year I hit 6 ft- sweating and cursing my body to slow the hell down! They don't like fighter pilots to be particularly tall (it isn't as strict now as it once was, due to larger cockpits and reclined seating for G tolerance) and I was very afraid I was going to outgrow my dream. One of my brothers is 6'5, which at that time would have kept him out of air superiority fighters, at any rate...I could just picture my hopes and dreams going down in flames because my pituitary gland was a workaholic. Gasp

I think things like "tall guys get more money" or "women like (blank) guys better" are just excuses made by shorter or (non-blank) guys to make up for their failures, a lot of the time. You shouldn't ever let something stop you, particularly something as asinine as body type.
This reminds me of a conversation I had with one of my nieces, a few weeks ago. She recently finished nursing school, RN, and did well, top third. She had been unable to get even a job interview and was very frustrated. I took her to lunch, and we talked about it- turns out she was paying attention to the job listings, where they say "1 year experience required" and the like. What are they teaching these kids???
I told her to ignore that and apply for any job she wanted. She was very skeptical, but finally agreed to try. First application, interview and hired. She's ecstatic! And I'm still the cool uncle. Cool Her first day was last Wednesday.
I've never met a rule I couldn't break, and I love being the first guy to ever get away with something...it's sort of my thing, you dig? Yes

My friends and family all waited expectantly for me to end up in Leavenworth, but somehow I stayed free. Then later I became a cop, and they all waited for the lightning or the matter-antimatter explosion, but we survived. The airlines are not known for being particularly tolerant of irreverence, but..I taught them to be. Tongue

That's a legacy to be proud of, in my estimation. Wink