As a new member, I just want to say...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-08-2017, 11:48 AM
As a new member, I just want to say...
There are a lot of very intelligent and thoughtful people who contribute to this forum. I'm not really surprised given the subject, but I guess I originally assumed it wouldn't be much different from the people I usually associate with in the real world. Most of my daily conversations are boring and daft. I really enjoy how most of the conversations stay calm and subdued in the style of a good-natured debate with a lot of humor instead of a bunch of knuckle-dragging grunts ineffectively hurled back and forth. Kudos to all involved!!!

Also, I wanted to say thank you to those of you who have welcomed me here and have allowed me to join in without going into full attack mode after I announced my conservative leanings. I admit, I felt a little defensive in the beginning (and responded to a few people inappropriately), but have quickly learned that doing so would inevitably lead to aforementioned grunts.

Bottom line, I like reading most of the contributions made and look forward to the many future hours I will spend here (and I'm already learning a lot!!!).

It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 9 users Like reeveseb's post
15-08-2017, 12:02 PM
RE: As a new member, I just want to say...
You are a conservative!? Gasp

Burn him on the stake!
*grabs his TIKI torch* Tongue

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
[+] 5 users Like Deesse23's post
15-08-2017, 12:17 PM
Maybe it will shatter your rosy view of the forum but if most conversations you find yourself in are dull then perhaps fault isn't in people you associate with? Alternatively you just have too big expectations - I like to broaden my knowledge but I don't discuss Dante, Kafka or Bulgakov in day to day life. Things change when I meet my friends from University though; forum is like big University meeting in this example - place where debates are more relevant than ones IRL, even if one can easy find trivia here. Or you just associate with boring people.

As for you being conservative - can't say I care much. I disagree with some (many?) of your points but it's not like your views will impact my life. So I can easily be reasonable, whereas civility with polish right wingers is hard to achieve for me.

Wysłane z mojego 6045K przy użyciu Tapatalka

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 2 users Like Szuchow's post
15-08-2017, 12:17 PM
(15-08-2017 11:48 AM)reeveseb Wrote:  There are a lot of very intelligent and thoughtful people who contribute to this forum. I'm not really surprised given the subject, but I guess I originally assumed it wouldn't be much different from the people I usually associate with in the real world. Most of my daily conversations are boring and daft. I really enjoy how most of the conversations stay calm and subdued in the style of a good-natured debate with a lot of humor instead of a bunch of knuckle-dragging grunts ineffectively hurled back and forth. Kudos to all involved!!!

Also, I wanted to say thank you to those of you who have welcomed me here and have allowed me to join in without going into full attack mode after I announced my conservative leanings. I admit, I felt a little defensive in the beginning (and responded to a few people inappropriately), but have quickly learned that doing so would inevitably lead to aforementioned grunts.

Bottom line, I like reading most of the contributions made and look forward to the many future hours I will spend here (and I'm already learning a lot!!!).

Don't mistake blasphemy, ridicule or offending the so called "knuckle draggers" as being the same as being one.

Sometimes there is no polite way to be polite to an asshole.

Meaning, if someone wants me to be polite to those who use their holy book to justify bigotry or physical harm to others, why should anyone be polite to that, this weekend should serve as a perfect example of how weeds grow when you don't stand up to them.

Heather Heyer's death is a result of 45s pandering to the far right religious and hate groups for 5 years with his birtherism, and year of scapegoating multiple groups. The irony is those same people who sell their own hate cannot see that it really is no different than say ISIS.

I don't play nicely with my words with people like that. "How dare you not tolerate my intolerance" is not an argument.

Polite is earned, not given. Civility isn't about never offending or getting offended, but how someone responds in those situations. But, when it comes to our politicians, they do not have the same role as a private citizen. As public employees they have the role of diplomat, not demagogue, not a Jerry Springer act.

So when you talk of "civility" I can only agree with strict non violence no matter who says what to whom. But ideas as claims as claims do not deserve taboo status especially when those claims as ideas spread fear and hate.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Brian37's post
15-08-2017, 12:30 PM
(15-08-2017 12:02 PM)Deesse23 Wrote:  You are a conservative!? Gasp

Burn him on the stake!
*grabs his TIKI torch* Tongue

I knew it was here somewhere!!!
Yes

15-08-2017, 12:38 PM
(15-08-2017 12:17 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  Maybe it will shatter your rosy view of the forum but if most conversations you find yourself in are dull then perhaps fault isn't in people you associate with? Alternatively you just have too big expectations

No views shattered. The people I usually associate with are coworkers and most of the people we know are religious and it feels like my options are limited for engaging in conversation because somehow it usually lead to Jesus. I most certainly live in the bible belt.

[+] 2 users Like reeveseb's post
15-08-2017, 12:44 PM
(15-08-2017 12:38 PM)reeveseb Wrote:  
(15-08-2017 12:17 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  Maybe it will shatter your rosy view of the forum but if most conversations you find yourself in are dull then perhaps fault isn't in people you associate with? Alternatively you just have too big expectations

No views shattered. The people I usually associate with are coworkers and most of the people we know are religious and it feels like my options are limited for engaging in conversation because somehow it usually lead to Jesus. I most certainly live in the bible belt.

You can easily brooch subject of Bulgakov or Milton with theists I imagine if you want some lively talk.

To be fair thougj my conversations with coworkers aren't really intelectualy stimulating, with some small exceptions.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
15-08-2017, 01:08 PM
(15-08-2017 11:48 AM)reeveseb Wrote:  There are a lot of very intelligent and thoughtful people who contribute to this forum. I'm not really surprised given the subject, but I guess I originally assumed it wouldn't be much different from the people I usually associate with in the real world. Most of my daily conversations are boring and daft. I really enjoy how most of the conversations stay calm and subdued in the style of a good-natured debate with a lot of humor instead of a bunch of knuckle-dragging grunts ineffectively hurled back and forth. Kudos to all involved!!!

Trust me none of us here are perfect Spock like borgs and the few who think they are are least of all, we are people that's all for my part I'm an anxious alcoholic but also someone with a great love of people and with a desire to be a person who offers comfort even though I can and have been incredibly cruel on here at times but I'm tolerated for the most part. Welcome I hope you stay and I look forward to getting to know you better.
[+] 2 users Like adey67's post
15-08-2017, 01:59 PM
I'm really glad you're enjoying the forum! I'm happy you joined us, you're a great addition Smile

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Robvalue's post
15-08-2017, 02:31 PM
(15-08-2017 11:48 AM)reeveseb Wrote:  Also, I wanted to say thank you to those of you who have welcomed me here and have allowed me to join in without going into full attack mode after I announced my conservative leanings.

Wait, I don't remember that conservative leaning bit. This changes everything.

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post