As a parent, what was it like to find out your child is transgender?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-06-2017, 01:54 PM
As a parent, what was it like to find out your child is transgender?
This was a fascinating and touching post to read from parents of trans children:
https://www.quora.com/As-a-parent-what-w...ransgender

I know at least one of you knows what it's like. For the rest of you, how do you think you would react if one of your children told you they were trans? What if your significant other did?

I don't have any children, so I don't know that I could answer the first question. As for if my SO did, well... given that my wife and I have already broached the subject with me, I don't think it would be all that difficult for me to handle the reverse. But I've gone through most of the hardest parts already, personally, so I'd be able to react with much more understanding.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-06-2017, 02:19 PM
RE: As a parent, what was it like to find out your child is transgender?
Wouldn't bother me.

There are other things I'd be upset about gender isn't one...

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

28-06-2017, 02:25 PM
I'd let a kid dress however but I'd need some serious evaluation before I started with hormones and permanent stuff.
28-06-2017, 02:30 PM
It wouldn't bother me at all, but I do think it would cause me a lot of worry. Acceptance is better, but we still have a long way to go.

I would want to be sure my child had the support system in place to deal with the difficulties of being transgender in an unaccepting world.

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: parodia-michal-aniol-flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes ShadowProject's post
28-06-2017, 02:35 PM
I made up all kinds of shit for attention when I was a kid. My worry would be like... really???
28-06-2017, 02:38 PM
If I had a child and they told me they were trans, it would be a non-issue for me. I want them to live their truth--whatever that is for them and above everything, I'd want them to be happy. We get one life and I wouldn't want them to waste it hiding who they are, being unhappy, and not being true to themselves. Swadharma (from yogic teachings) means to follow your one true path--this coincides with dharma which is that it's your duty in this life to fulfill who you really are. I know it's a lil woo, but I've always really liked that.

If my boyfriend told me he was trans, I'd still love and support him because I'm in love with the person. I do think I would have a hard time if he completely transitioned down below because I do like what's down there Big Grin and I do enjoy sex with and am attracted physically to a man.

That said, for me, I think this is one of those situations that you can't really know for sure until you are actually in it. But I would be open to trying to see if we could make things work if he transitioned all the way via surgery because I do love him.
28-06-2017, 02:55 PM
(28-06-2017 02:25 PM)ImFred Wrote:  I'd let a kid dress however but I'd need some serious evaluation before I started with hormones and permanent stuff.

What about hormone blockers to prevent puberty? The reason I ask is because a lot of people have problems with the idea of puberty blockers. They can be prescribed to children before puberty to hold off the permanent effects of puberty- which can cause a serious amount of dysphoria and permanent changes that either require painful and invasive surgery to undo, or they simply cannot be undone.

At the age of 16, then trans children may be prescribed hormones. This gives the children enough extra time to be certain of their desire before making permanent changes. If they decide not to transition, then they can go off puberty blockers and puberty will proceed as normal- just delayed.
28-06-2017, 03:13 PM
I gotta say I feel like the upsurge in trans awareness would make me wary. There's too many unknowns in a scenario like this to say. For sure I would love my kid and support her or him. I'm just not sure I would be sure that they're so sure.

When I told my mom I thought I needed glasses she said "there's nothing cool about wearing glasses". It took about a year before I actually got my eyes tested and some glasses.

I don't blame my mom though because I really was full of shit most of the time.

Even if you're totally chill about your child being trans it would still be a big deal to start fooling with Mother Nature.
28-06-2017, 03:20 PM
(28-06-2017 03:13 PM)ImFred Wrote:  I gotta say I feel like the upsurge in trans awareness would make me wary. There's too many unknowns in a scenario like this to say. For sure I would love my kid and support her or him. I'm just not sure I would be sure that they're so sure.

When I told my mom I thought I needed glasses she said "there's nothing cool about wearing glasses". It took about a year before I actually got my eyes tested and some glasses.

I don't blame my mom though because I really was full of shit most of the time.

Even if you're totally chill about your child being trans it would still be a big deal to start fooling with Mother Nature.

Even if you could save your kid a ton of pain in the future, you would be hesitant to use hormone blockers? Even if research shows few, if any, negative effects in using them to delay puberty?

I mean- not getting glasses is something you can easily fix later. But not getting hormone blockers and having the wrong puberty- that's not so fixable and it's harmful.
28-06-2017, 03:29 PM
I'd let my wife decide.