As a science teacher...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-06-2014, 10:02 PM (This post was last modified: 04-06-2014 10:13 PM by pablo.)
As a science teacher...
A friend of a friend on Facebook posted a long declaration of his faith yesterday.
A little while ago I read this reply,

"As a science teacher I really dislike when people try to use scientific fact to disagree with faith -- they really are separate. I often tell students I never saw Jesus but have faith that he was sent to teach us how to live -- but want to see fossils and evidence of changes in man. all but fundamental Christian scientists have accepted evolution, and Evolutionary scientists don't ever consider debating these ideas -- athiests should try something else! " Shocking

He posted all his garbage then had the balls to say he didn't want any debate about it, that he was stating how he feels.
Well fuck that shit, I let it go for a day but I can't any more after reading the latest post.
I replied to the teacher asking if she taught at a public school. I'm waiting to hear back and then I'm going to pounce on them all.

Any thoughts from the sane? (BTW she spelled Atheists wrong) Wink
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
04-06-2014, 10:22 PM
RE: As a science teacher...
What's the point?

She doesn't want to debate, so don't force her. You won't impress anyone by being a jerk, so let it go.

Besides, if she is still teaching science rather than creationist crap, who cares if she thinks Jesus was real? My only beef is when teachers try to turn science class into bible study.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
[+] 2 users Like Aseptic Skeptic's post
04-06-2014, 10:37 PM
You don't have to debate them. Just make your own Facebook post on your views that just so happens to debunk every thing they said.

Quote:athiests should try something else!

Pointing out the contradictions in the Bible, pointing out how utterly horrible god would be if he existed, pointing out how the real world does not at all indicate a loving, all powerful god, those logic problems about how being all-powerful just doesn't work to begin with...

Do we need more, or are these good?
[+] 1 user Likes CleverUsername's post
04-06-2014, 10:45 PM
(04-06-2014 10:37 PM)CleverUsername Wrote:  You don't have to debate them. Just make your own Facebook post on your views that just so happens to debunk every thing they said.

And then tag them. Girl_nails
[+] 3 users Like LadyJane's post
04-06-2014, 11:02 PM
The teacher was one of many replies to the original post.

Here's the OP:

I hear a lot of arguments on creationism vs evolution, christianity vs atheism. Christians try to "debunk" evolution using science, and atheists try to "debunk" christianity the same way. Well, that's not gonna work. Christianity is based on faith. No atheist can ever prove to me that God does not exist because He has worked in and through me in MANY ways. My faith tells me He exists, not science. If you don't agree with me, that is your God given right, after all, He created you with free will. I would never try to force my religion on anyone, and I expect the same from non believers, but if you want to hear about our risen Lord and Savior, I will gladly tell you, and I won't try to back it with science. But if you try to tell me God does not exist, and back it with science, save your breath, cuz no scientific fact can "debunk" what I know and have felt. God bless you all!

My reply:

I've shut up about this but enough is enough already.
Since this appeared unsolicited on my wall I'll take it the same way as I would a Jehovah's Witness knocking on my door.

1."No atheist can ever prove to me that God does not exist because He has worked in and through me in MANY ways."

I'm not trying too convince anyone but, I'll never be convinced there is a god. I assume you believe YOUR god is the real one and all the others are false.

2. "He created you with free will."

If your god is omnipotent then he can make you do anything he wants whether you want to or not. If he's also omniscient then he knows what you're going to do before you even think about doing it and change it to suit him. That is not "free will" that is a puppet.

3. " I would never try to force my religion on anyone, and I expect the same from non believers, but if you want to hear about our risen Lord and Savior, I will gladly tell you, and I won't try to back it with science."

You are right now. I'm rebutting your claims.

4." But if you try to tell me God does not exist, and back it with science, save your breath, cuz no scientific fact can "debunk" what I know and have felt."

I seriously hope you don't believe that the Earth is 6,000 years old and that man co-existed with the dinosaurs.

I'm not trying to be mean but I shouldn't have to read this without at least having a chance to reply.
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
05-06-2014, 02:25 AM
(04-06-2014 10:02 PM)pablo628 Wrote:  Well fuck that shit, I let it go for a day but I can't any more after reading the latest post.

I do not blame you. Sometimes the only way to fight ignorance is to get right in their face and call them on their bullshit.
[+] 2 users Like Foxen's post
05-06-2014, 06:26 AM
I would have replied with something like this.
"I think beliefs are important. I care if my beliefs are true or not. Because my beliefs inform my actions, I want to have as many true beliefs and as few false beliefs as possible. Faith is not a pathway to truth because the faith of those that disagree with you is just as strong as yours. If you don't care if your belief is true and want to cling to something that feels good, that's fine, but I care if my beliefs are true and the only way to verify if your belief is true is to provide evidence and reasoning and an honest critical analysis of why you hold something to be true. You reject every other religion out there the same way I do. I reject their claims because of a lack of evidence. Why do you reject them ? Do you even know why you reject them ? I can accept the idea that a god or even many gods may exist. I don't discount the idea, but the book you worship is not the product of a god. It has always been something man made, edited to suit kings, altered for every denomination, used to justify atrocities and blatantly shown to contain hundreds of man made errors. You are free to believe anything you like and I will fight anyone who tries to take that right away fron you, but all I ask in return is that you examine what you hold to be true and ask yourself why you hold it to be true. If you can do that, then you have my respect"

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 2 users Like Rahn127's post
05-06-2014, 06:34 AM
(04-06-2014 11:02 PM)pablo628 Wrote:  The teacher was one of many replies to the original post.

Here's the OP:

. I would never try to force my religion on anyone, and I expect the same from non believers, but if you want to hear about our risen Lord and Savior, I will gladly tell you, and I won't try to back it with science. But if you try to tell me God does not exist, and back it with science, save your breath, cuz no scientific fact can "debunk" what I know and have felt.

this person is an idiot. click unfriend, then block.

seriously--life is too short to put up with morons.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 2 users Like Bows and Arrows's post
05-06-2014, 07:21 AM
(05-06-2014 06:26 AM)Rahn127 Wrote:  I would have replied with something like this.
"I think beliefs are important. I care if my beliefs are true or not. Because my beliefs inform my actions, I want to have as many true beliefs and as few false beliefs as possible. Faith is not a pathway to truth because the faith of those that disagree with you is just as strong as yours. If you don't care if your belief is true and want to cling to something that feels good, that's fine, but I care if my beliefs are true and the only way to verify if your belief is true is to provide evidence and reasoning and an honest critical analysis of why you hold something to be true. You reject every other religion out there the same way I do. I reject their claims because of a lack of evidence. Why do you reject them ? Do you even know why you reject them ? I can accept the idea that a god or even many gods may exist. I don't discount the idea, but the book you worship is not the product of a god. It has always been something man made, edited to suit kings, altered for every denomination, used to justify atrocities and blatantly shown to contain hundreds of man made errors. You are free to believe anything you like and I will fight anyone who tries to take that right away fron you, but all I ask in return is that you examine what you hold to be true and ask yourself why you hold it to be true. If you can do that, then you have my respect"

I wish I would have waited until today to reply to his post. It was late when I did and I was tired, I've thought of a lot of other things I should have said.
This is very good.
05-06-2014, 07:22 AM
(05-06-2014 06:34 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  
(04-06-2014 11:02 PM)pablo628 Wrote:  The teacher was one of many replies to the original post.

Here's the OP:

. I would never try to force my religion on anyone, and I expect the same from non believers, but if you want to hear about our risen Lord and Savior, I will gladly tell you, and I won't try to back it with science. But if you try to tell me God does not exist, and back it with science, save your breath, cuz no scientific fact can "debunk" what I know and have felt.

this person is an idiot. click unfriend, then block.

seriously--life is too short to put up with morons.

It is done. Thumbsup