As an atheist, how often should I study the bible?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-04-2016, 07:30 AM
As an atheist, how often should I study the bible?
When I first became an atheist, I had a whole list of evil quotes in the bible. I repeated it in my mind over and over again to remind myself I don't believe in it. Now I have left religion, I almost never read the bible, but I'm being tempted to believe in it since I forgot some of the stuff in it. As an atheist, how often should I study the bible? I prefer the Skeptic's Annotaded Bible.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-04-2016, 07:33 AM
RE: As an atheist, how often should I study the bible?
(28-04-2016 07:30 AM)MatureMcLeod95 Wrote:  When I first became an atheist, I had a whole list of evil quotes in the bible. I repeated it in my mind over and over again to remind myself I don't believe in it. Now I have left religion, I almost never read the bible, but I'm being tempted to believe in it since I forgot some of the stuff in it. As an atheist, how often should I study the bible? I prefer the Skeptic's Annotaded Bible.

I haven't looked at a bible since I was 10 years old. I do get a lot of education about it just by hanging out here at TTA...

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
28-04-2016, 07:41 AM
I never read the thing, just a few excerpts from it were sufficient. I could not say it better than Dom, I have learned so much here. I have great respect and gratitude for those who know and share it here without the baggage.
28-04-2016, 07:47 AM
(28-04-2016 07:30 AM)MatureMcLeod95 Wrote:  When I first became an atheist, I had a whole list of evil quotes in the bible. I repeated it in my mind over and over again to remind myself I don't believe in it. Now I have left religion, I almost never read the bible, but I'm being tempted to believe in it since I forgot some of the stuff in it. As an atheist, how often should I study the bible? I prefer the Skeptic's Annotaded Bible.

In order to maintain your atheist status you must study the bible at least 0% of your time.

If you want to debate Christians then reading it is a good idea but the whole thing, not just your favorite "evil" verses (read it all and you'll find a lot more! Big Grin). If you have an interest in bronze and iron age mythology it is one of many that you can read. It is also useful as a basis for understanding many cultural references, particularly in literature.

As for the bolded part above, I really do not understand that logic. Why would not knowing about something make you more prone to believe it is true? If you came to understand that there was no reason to believe when you knew the details then forgetting doesn't seem to me to be a reason for doubting conclusions that were made with better information.

Do you think you need to read the mythologies of other cultures in order to remind yourself not to believe them?

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
28-04-2016, 07:48 AM
Read it as much and as often as you want. As an atheist, that is exactly what I do and what that means is I don't read it. Because 0 days, 0 hours, 0 minutes, and 0 seconds is exactly the amount of time I want to read it Thumbsup

(aside from the occasional passage look-up to present to someone or to support a point I am making)

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
28-04-2016, 07:48 AM
You as an atheist are required to spend 2 hours every day and 4 on Sundays studying the Bible. Don't forget the prayers and meditation that goes with it, or maybe medication, or masturbation? I don't know!
[+] 2 users Like Born Again Pagan's post
28-04-2016, 07:49 AM
(28-04-2016 07:30 AM)MatureMcLeod95 Wrote:  As an atheist, how often should I study the bible?

There is no atheist code of conduct detailing frequency with which one study this particular book of myths.

I don't see much of a reason to study the bible. It's nothing more than old, shitty, primitive book.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
28-04-2016, 08:08 AM
You should read *about* it, and only then read *it*.
There is no way anyone can figure it out, by just "reading it".

"Who Wrote the Bible" -- Dr. Richard Elliott Friedman
http://www.amazon.com/Wrote-Bible-Richar...0060630353
"How the Bible Became a Book .. the textualization of Ancient Israel" -- Dr. William Schniedewind
http://www.amazon.com/How-Bible-Became-B...ame+a+book

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
28-04-2016, 08:58 AM
You're not required to read the bible.

But you are required to read The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams............

OK -- required may be a bit strong --- highly recommended .........

It's even got a few gods in it..... Zarquon is my favorite........

Big Grin

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
28-04-2016, 09:08 AM
It the above reading suits you I suggest following with "The long dark Tea time of the soul"
https://openlibrary.org/search?q=the+lon...f+the+soul
[+] 1 user Likes skyking's post