As an atheist now, what is your lifestyle at present?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-05-2012, 04:16 PM

Like what things you do now or will do now which you did not do before or would prefer to not do before?

Pachomius
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-05-2012, 04:20 PM
RE: As an atheist now, what is your lifestyle at present?
(14-05-2012 04:16 PM)Pachomius Wrote:  what things .. will do now which you did not do before

Eat babies, of course. Tongue

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
"And you quit footing the bill for these nations that are oil rich - we're paying for some of their *squirmishes* that have been going on for centuries" - Sarah Palin
[+] 17 users Like Bucky Ball's post
14-05-2012, 04:21 PM
Welcome to the forum, feel free to post an introduction in the intros section.

As to your question I can't actually answer it because all of the religious experience I had were ones I had sought out myself as a child. I have never claimed a religious title.

Most of our members were Christians previously so you should get your answers.

I would imagine they will resemble this:

I used to attend church an now I don't.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like lucradis's post
14-05-2012, 08:50 PM
(14-05-2012 04:21 PM)lucradis Wrote:  Welcome to the forum, feel free to post an introduction in the intros section.

As to your question I can't actually answer it because all of the religious experience I had were ones I had sought out myself as a child. I have never claimed a religious title.

Most of our members were Christians previously so you should get your answers.

I would imagine they will resemble this:

I used to attend church an now I don't.
Well, not attending church now is logical but it is not a doing thing.

Just name some acts which you now do whereas before you would rather not do, which change is also logical but in a positive instead of a negative direction.

By way of illustration, let's say that before you were a Buddhist, but now you are no longer a Buddhist; as a Buddhist previously you abstained from eating animal flesh for food, now you eat animal flesh for food.

Or you were an orthodox Jew or Muslim before and did not eat pork, now you are no longer adhering to the orthodox Jewish faith or Islam, so now you eat pork.

Also in the case of now being a Muslim instead of previously being a Christian, you no longer have only one wife but you have four wives.

Pachomius
15-05-2012, 04:28 AM
Well, before I became an atheist, I gave religious people more shit than I do now. Tongue

Of course, that might be cause I live in atheist Attleboro. Only time religion comes up is when somebody surfs the net and they read about some religious folly or other and go off. I feel kinda redundant. Big Grin

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
15-05-2012, 04:51 AM
Nothing much changed for me in terms of my actions. I was probably a little more cautious with my decision making as I no longer had that feeling that 'everything will be ok in the end', realising there was no one watching over me made me look much more closely at things.

Of course there is the raping, pillaging, eating babies and other fun stuff, but most religions partake in those so nothing special there.

"Belief means not wanting to know what is true"
Friedrich Nietzsche
15-05-2012, 05:24 AM
I read Hitchens and Dawkins now. That may seriously be the only thing I actually do different.

Evolve

Smartass
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/James_Beard2
15-05-2012, 05:32 AM
WTF is it with eating babies?

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
15-05-2012, 07:31 AM
I don't think all that much has changed since I walked away from the church I was raised in. I had been forced to go to church so I did. Attended Catholic schools so I had to deal with all the religious stuff that goes with that scenario.

Over the years I have done away with other 'religious' observances. For example, no more nativity scene at Christmas and Easter isn't anything special other than maybe buying some Easter-themed candy.

I don't play along with things like group prayers like I used to. I just stay silent and maybe take a step back.

Other than that, I don't do much differently. I wasn't a big believer anyway so it wasn't a stretch to stop the religious stuff.

If you are asking if I engage in doing things that are against religious law/teachings, then the answer is no. Religion really didn't ever come into play much with regard to any decision making on my part.

I do study religions more now and am fascinated by the cult behavior, wondering why people allow themselves to do insane things in the name of religion...think Jim Jones, those crazy Hale Bopp comet people, following loons like Jim Bakker and the like. The psychology in falling for such things is interesting to me.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
15-05-2012, 09:35 AM
(15-05-2012 05:32 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  WTF is it with eating babies?
You're not a true atheist, obviously.

I'm not sure all that much has changed in my lifestyle. The changes are in my worldview and emotions more than my behavior. I'm still the same depressed, neurotic smart-ass that I've always been. I just don't feel guilty about it anymore. Tongue

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 5 users Like Erxomai's post