As an atheist now, what is your lifestyle at present?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-05-2012, 10:32 AM
RE: As an atheist now, what is your lifestyle at present?
Even though I've always had love for science (particularly astronomy), I also had this weird gullibility for the supernatural/paranormal. As I aged (some call it maturing), I slowly started to look at these situations more skeptically. But somehow, they always stuck with me in one form or another.

Recently, I finally admitted to myself that I'm an Atheist (lack of better term). I say admitted because I was always loose on my ideology of religion. I suppose I held on due to the fear of hell. This realization led to a fierce search on everything Atheist related. I was like a sponge and learned a great deal. It also altered my mindset about the supernatural and paranormal. I no longer believe in ghosts. I do find myself still getting spooked in say, a dark bathroom with a huge mirror. The difference now is that I keep telling myself that it's highly unlikely that there is a ghost and that I should think about this rationally. I guess you can say I find courage through my skepticism in these situations now.

That would be the only major lifestyle change for me. I've always been obsessed with the Internet and posting on various forums. Now I just post on Atheist related ones too. Thumbsup

“We are all connected; To each other, biologically. To the earth, chemically. To the rest of the universe atomically.”

-Neil deGrasse Tyson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like NoahsFarce's post
15-05-2012, 10:45 AM
I was also someone who bought into a lot of the conspiracy stories, alien abductions, ghosts, bigfoot, etc. Like Noah here, I seem to have found courage through my skepticism to realize that the sound I just heard was most likely the wind, the shadow I saw was probably due to the lights outside and a tree branch, and all of the people out there claiming to have seen a UFO or bigfoot or the Loch Ness monster are either outright lying or they allowed fear and other emotions to help them see what they wanted to see.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
15-05-2012, 03:27 PM
The way I observe in your replies, your lifestyle in the sense of doing acts now which you did not do before has not changed, because what acts you do now are also done by Christians or yourselves when then you were Christians i.e. before.

But you identify yourselves more in terms of what acts you don't do now, like observances of Christians founded upon their acceptance of God and God's will for mankind.

The conclusion then is that all observances of Christians founded upon their acceptance of God and God's will for mankind, you don't do now; as for all the acts they do which are not founded on their acceptance of God and God's will for mankind but even contrary: you continue to do now as before when you were Christians.

If I may I notice just the same that there is something you do now which before you did not do, and that is reading writings of famous atheists, or atheists who have other atheists reading them and accepting their ideas about God's non-existence, and the absence of reason and evidence in the Christian faith.

So, one ingredient of your new lifestyle is that you now read atheists' writings.

That is something about doing now, instead of not doing anymore.

If I may, you read atheists' writings because you want to reinforce your new worldview as atheists?

And you also write in the internet and anywhere else where you can have people reading you about your new worldview as atheists?

And aside from reading and writing about the worldview of atheists to explain it and to advance it and to reinforce yourselves in it, if I may, you now also take part in marches, rallies, and demonstrations against ultimately anything to do with God and Christians, which anything is against the separation of state and religion.

Pachomius
15-05-2012, 04:48 PM (This post was last modified: 15-05-2012 04:51 PM by Emma.)
(15-05-2012 03:27 PM)Pachomius Wrote:  The way I observe in your replies, your lifestyle in the sense of doing acts now which you did not do before has not changed, because what acts you do now are also done by Christians or yourselves when then you were Christians i.e. before.

But you identify yourselves more in terms of what acts you don't do now, like observances of Christians founded upon their acceptance of God and God's will for mankind.

The conclusion then is that all observances of Christians founded upon their acceptance of God and God's will for mankind, you don't do now; as for all the acts they do which are not founded on their acceptance of God and God's will for mankind but even contrary: you continue to do now as before when you were Christians.

If I may I notice just the same that there is something you do now which before you did not do, and that is reading writings of famous atheists, or atheists who have other atheists reading them and accepting their ideas about God's non-existence, and the absence of reason and evidence in the Christian faith.

So, one ingredient of your new lifestyle is that you now read atheists' writings.

If I may, you read atheists' writings because you want to reinforce your new worldview as atheists?

And you also write in the internet and anywhere else where you can have people reading you about your new worldview as atheists?

And aside from reading and writing about the worldview of atheists to explain it and to advance it and to reinforce yourselves in it, if I may, you now also take part in marches, rallies, and demonstrations against ultimately anything to do with God and Christians, which anything is against the separation of state and religion.

Pachomius

Let's see... I do read books by other atheists. I also listen to podcasts by other atheists. These are primarily because they are either learning materials- learning about science, philosophy, logical thinking- or they are sources of relief and inspiration. Relief from the heavy influence of religion upon my life, and inspiration for discovery of the world, myself, and how I can relate to the world. I also think and consider things more.

I am not an activist, in that I have never attended a march, or a rally, or a demonstration. Though I do support those who are willing and able to do so.

You misjudge in thinking that reading books from atheists is about reinforcing non-belief. For me, I already do no believe. There is nothing to actively upkeep. When I had faith, I did read books to try to reinforce my belief. It only worked for so long. When the faith fell away in my disbelief there was no longer anything to reinforce. But now I can learn about the world, how other atheists perceive the world and why they call themselves atheists, and consider my own place in the world.

There is very little that I actively do now that I didn't before. You are right that it is more about the things I no longer do- I no longer attend church, I no longer pray, I no longer worry about the afterlife, I no longer beat myself up with guilt for every little ungodly thought.

But if you're asking about only actions, then you get only a portion of the picture of how I've changed as a person. I think that if you're a good person, you'll be relatively good regardless of your religion. If you're a rotten person, you'll be rotten regardless of your religion. If the only thing holding you back from being a bad person is a commandment from a dusty book then you're not really a good person to begin with. Religion can motivate people to do good things, but so can an inspirational speech. Both can also motivate people to do bad things. All that to say, it would not be a big surprise to me to find that many people probably wouldn't drastically change their behavior after deconversion, except to stop doing the things that religion often requires- like attendance, prayers, rituals, etc.
[+] 4 users Like Emma's post
15-05-2012, 04:51 PM
Your sample set ain't large enough to make conclusions, there, statistician. Tongue

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 8 users Like houseofcantor's post
15-05-2012, 05:00 PM (This post was last modified: 15-05-2012 05:07 PM by GirlyMan.)
(15-05-2012 03:27 PM)Pachomius Wrote:  So, one ingredient of your new lifestyle is that you now read atheists' writings.

Nope. I've never read any "atheist" books. Hadn't even heard of many of the "famous" atheists before I came here. The only atheist book I've even browsed is Penn Jillette's God, No!: Signs You May Already Be an Atheist and Other Magical Tales but's that's just cause I find the fucker funny. I guess watching Tim Minchen's videos also counts, but again I only watch them cause they're fucking hilarious. I mean, why else would I? I do continue to read a lot of philosophy, but that's pretty much what led me to atheism in the first place (well that and attending Lutheran school until I was 15 yo and reading the Bible a couple of times cover to cover) so that's not really a change so much as a continuance.

(15-05-2012 03:27 PM)Pachomius Wrote:  And you also write in the internet and anywhere else where you can have people reading you about your new worldview as atheists?

Nope. Unless you consider my 35+ year continually evolving worldview and metaphysics as "new". Al Gore hadn't invented the Internet yet back then. Wink

(15-05-2012 03:27 PM)Pachomius Wrote:  And aside from reading and writing about the worldview of atheists to explain it and to advance it and to reinforce yourselves in it, if I may, you now also take part in marches, rallies, and demonstrations against ultimately anything to do with God and Christians, which anything is against the separation of state and religion.

Nope. Not unless Tim Minchin or Penn Jillette is gonna be there. Big Grin

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
15-05-2012, 06:41 PM
I smell a Christian. Maybe might explain the lack of introductory post.

It's ok if you are a Christian, we have a couple of them here.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes lucradis's post
16-05-2012, 09:26 AM (This post was last modified: 16-05-2012 09:35 AM by Emma.)
(15-05-2012 06:41 PM)lucradis Wrote:  I smell a Christian. Maybe might explain the lack of introductory post.

It's ok if you are a Christian, we have a couple of them here.

(15-05-2012 03:27 PM)Pachomius Wrote:  If I may I notice just the same...

Nope, no problem at all- just be clear about your intentions Pachomius, or weigh in with how you've changed since you "became an atheist". I don't mind playing along and answering your questions- but you have to give something too buddy. I'm not here for your personal whim or to prove your theories about what atheists are like or what they do.
[+] 1 user Likes Emma's post
16-05-2012, 12:27 PM
You're a bit off on the part about reading atheistic writings now and not before. I did this often as a Christian Minister in order to have an understanding of the way others think. Now, I do the same thing in reverse...I'm currently listening to a lecture series on the NT by Dr. Dale Martin from Yale. He isn't teaching anything I didn't already know, but with a new worldview, I am getting so much more out of it than I did when I was blinded by my presuppositional faith.
Yes, what has changed is that I don't go to church, pray or read my Bible on a regular basis. Nor do I share my faith in hopes of winning souls for Christ. But you precluded these answers in your OP.
I would recommend you not make assumptions. Asking questions is often the best way of learning. I would also recommend not hiding your own agenda when you ask.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 3 users Like Erxomai's post
16-05-2012, 04:19 PM
I hope that you all now atheists will not take offense in what I am going to talk about now.

If you have a pet dog you are very fond of and it is very fond of you at home and more often than not always with you, which can and does notice your behavioral pattern, tell me can and does it notice that your behavioral pattern has changed noticeably: from what it was before when you were Christians to what it is now as you call yourselves or identify yourselves now as atheists?

I guess it does notice the change in your behavioral pattern: you no longer go to church, you no longer talk with church people whose work is to care for and help you in your religious or spiritual life, you no longer do acts which before as a sincerely practicing Christian you used to do before.

Now, if you were not a sincerely practicing Christian your pet dog will not notice anything different unless it can read your mind and look into your heart.

What is that thing in your mind and in your heart which you alone can and do know if you are in the habit of honest self-examination?

Pachomius