As an atheist now, what is your lifestyle at present?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-05-2012, 04:42 PM
RE: As an atheist now, what is your lifestyle at present?
(16-05-2012 04:19 PM)Pachomius Wrote:  I hope that you all now atheists will not take offense in what I am going to talk about now.

You'll have to try harder if you want to offend us. We have an Egor...he's nice right now, but don't make him angry, you won't like him when he's angry.
Quote:Now, if you were not a sincerely practicing Christian your pet dog will not notice anything different unless it can read your mind and look into your heart.
I have a cat. He's a fascist and he cheats at chess , it's best not to talk religion with him. I truly hope he cannot read my mind....GET OUT OF MY HEAD CAT...GET OUT OF MY HEAD

Quote: What is that thing in your mind and in your heart which you alone can and do know if you are in the habit of honest self-examination?
Nope, I have no idea what you're talking about. I'm just happier without a god in my life. It's simpler and yet infinitely more complex.

I find bread and wine a lot less complicated now. Nails make me less uncomfortable. I get more of a kick out of stars and numbers and nature and man-made things and boobs...all these things are infinitely more fun without having to continually repent for enjoying them.

"Christianity is like a diet where you eat lots of chocolate cake all week, and then on Sunday you mentally scold yourself and "try again" only to repeat the cycle." - Buddy Christ
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 9 users Like Shannow's post
16-05-2012, 04:52 PM
Ok, yeah... you're not going to tell us anything about yourself explicitly. You're trying to lead us along a trail of your own design. You're making assumptions and a lame metaphor. You're uninterested in actual conversation.

[Image: F6bxa.gif]

I kind of think you haven't read a word that anyone has actually posted.

So... tell us a little bit about yourself.
[+] 3 users Like Emma's post
16-05-2012, 05:41 PM (This post was last modified: 16-05-2012 05:51 PM by GirlyMan.)
(16-05-2012 12:27 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  You're a bit off on the part about reading atheistic writings now and not before. I did this often as a Christian Minister in order to have an understanding of the way others think. Now, I do the same thing in reverse...I'm currently listening to a lecture series on the NT by Dr. Dale Martin from Yale. He isn't teaching anything I didn't already know, but with a new worldview, I am getting so much more out of it than I did when I was blinded by my presuppositional faith.

I can appreciate this, Hellbound. It's analogous to the fact that I get so much more out of reading the words of the Christ as an atheist than I ever did as a Christian. Wink

(16-05-2012 04:19 PM)Pachomius Wrote:  I hope that you all now atheists will not take offense in what I am going to talk about now.

Bwahahahahaha ... yeah, that's fuckin' hilarious Pachyphile. .... Bwahahahahaha. Big Grin

(16-05-2012 04:19 PM)Pachomius Wrote:  If you have a pet dog you are very fond of and it is very fond of you at home and more often than not always with you, which can and does notice your behavioral pattern, tell me can and does it notice that your behavioral pattern has changed noticeably: from what it was before when you were Christians to what it is now as you call yourselves or identify yourselves now as atheists?

That was 35 years ago. Dog's been dead for decades. It don't notice nothing.

(16-05-2012 12:27 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  What is that thing in your mind and in your heart which you alone can and do know if you are in the habit of honest self-examination?

I periodically go on metaphysical walkabouts where I seriously consider what it would mean not to be. I do this in part to overcome my prejudice that if you ain't seriously considered what it'd be like not to be, why should I even give a shit about what you think it means to be? It's a credibility issue for me and yes it does make me a metaphysical bigot. ... But at least I'm working on it. Wink

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
16-05-2012, 06:16 PM
(15-05-2012 03:27 PM)Pachomius Wrote:  The conclusion then is that all observances of Christians founded upon their acceptance of God and God's will for mankind, you don't do now; as for all the acts they do which are not founded on their acceptance of God and God's will for mankind but even contrary: you continue to do now as before when you were Christians.

And you also write in the internet and anywhere else where you can have people reading you about your new worldview as atheists?

And aside from reading and writing about the worldview of atheists to explain it and to advance it and to reinforce yourselves in it, if I may, you now also take part in marches, rallies, and demonstrations against ultimately anything to do with God and Christians, which anything is against the separation of state and religion.

Pachomius

Lol, there was no such thing as the internet when I filed the bible away.

And, I was active online for 12 years before I came to this forum, which is the first and only atheist site I participate in.

I don't march in rallies or anything of the sort, and I come here because there are a bunch of smart people here who like to get to the bottom of things. As an added benefit, there is a lot of hilarious humor here.

How am I different? I am a much nicer, kinder, more empathetic person.

Religious people take it upon themselves to judge other people, walk around feeling holier than thou, are sanctimonious and talk to invisible friends. They refuse to take responsibility for their lives and actions and take comfort in being a powerless pawn. Afterall, god has a plan for everything and they are just being swept along. So they plead and beg for mercy instead of doing something about their lives.

It's pityful and painful to watch.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 7 users Like Dom's post
16-05-2012, 09:04 PM
Even if I had the smartest dogs in the world, I don't know that they would be able to determine my religious leanings.

They do pick up on it if I am in depression mode or if I am sick. But I figure that's more because of body language, more laying around, and perhaps change in tone of voice. They sure know if I excitedly ask if they want to go out and play ball. They bounce around in response to the things mentioned...body language and tone of voice.

I am fairly certain they can't read my mind.

And, as a life-long animal lover, my bonding with a pet has nothing to do with belief in a god.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat

Are my Chakras on straight?
[+] 5 users Like Anjele's post
17-05-2012, 04:07 PM
By what is in my mind and in my heart I mean what thoughts are in your thinking and what emotions are in your feeling, which thoughts and emotions were not occupying your mind and your heart when you were a Christian sincerely practicing your faith.

Like for example, in your thinking it could be a different worldview now as an atheist so that in your thinking there is no God the uncreated creator of the universe, and in your feeling in regard to God and the Christian faith you harbor a belligerent hostility against God and the Christian faith, even though now as an atheist for you there is no God the uncreated creator of the universe and the Christian faith is all irrational.

I hope you get what I am trying to say.

Pachomius
[+] 1 user Likes Pachomius's post
17-05-2012, 04:17 PM
(17-05-2012 04:07 PM)Pachomius Wrote:  By what is in my mind and in my heart I mean what thoughts are in your thinking and what emotions are in your feeling, which thoughts and emotions were not occupying your mind and your heart when you were a Christian sincerely practicing your faith.

Like for example, in your thinking it could be a different worldview now as an atheist so that in your thinking there is no God the uncreated creator of the universe, and in your feeling in regard to God and the Christian faith you harbor a belligerent hostility against God and the Christian faith, even though now as an atheist for you there is no God the uncreated creator of the universe and the Christian faith is all irrational.

Pachomius
I thought I addressed this. As soon as I let go of my faith, my skepticism took the wheel. As a believer in the after-life, I was consumed with thoughts of ghosts and the paranormal. I was readily defending them rather than trying to debunk them. That's simply not the case anymore. So those thoughts and emotions no longer run through me as they used to. Well, the fear aspect does when it comes to "scary" settings, but that's more instinctive than anything (you're supposed to be scared of the dark).

By the way, it's very hard to understand your style of speech/writing. It's writhe with redundancy e.g. "In your thinking... in your thinking...", "uncreated creator.... uncreated creator...".

If you want people to understand you, speak plainly... you're not HoC.

“We are all connected; To each other, biologically. To the earth, chemically. To the rest of the universe atomically.”

-Neil deGrasse Tyson
17-05-2012, 04:21 PM (This post was last modified: 17-05-2012 04:25 PM by Emma.)
(17-05-2012 04:07 PM)Pachomius Wrote:  By what is in my mind and in my heart I mean what thoughts are in your thinking and what emotions are in your feeling, which thoughts and emotions were not occupying your mind and your heart when you were a Christian sincerely practicing your faith.

Pachomius

I'm not really sure I get what you're trying to say, although it seems to me that you're trying to suggest that there is some reason inherent to my being that I have some hostility toward your God and your faith (at this point I'm assuming you're a Christian by the way you speak and the fact that you've not been willing to talk about yourself in the slightest). Are you trying to suggest, like other Christians have tried to, that I am an atheist now because I hate God? Or that God made me angry and so I denounced my faith in Him? Or that I never really loved God? Or that I was never really a Christian?

I really don't know what you're getting at because you're playing a game. You are asking but not giving. Here's something I do on forums- I start a thread, asking other peoples' opinions/thoughts/ideas/etc. and I give my thoughts on the subject in the same post. That way it is clear what my intention is from the start. Thumbsup

So, do I play along with your game some more? Consider I'm curious where you're taking this, but I'm annoyed at your approach.
17-05-2012, 04:24 PM
(17-05-2012 04:17 PM)NoahsFarce Wrote:  By the way, it's very hard to understand your style of speech/writing. It's writhe with redundancy e.g. "In your thinking... in your thinking...", "uncreated creator.... uncreated creator...".

If you want people to understand you, speak plainly... you're not HoC.

I'm hesitant to criticize his writing because it doesn't sound like English is his first language and some people have more trouble with it than others. I think he's trying to make it clear, but maybe I'm wrong... I'm making an assumption based on his writing. Undecided
[+] 1 user Likes Emma's post
17-05-2012, 06:08 PM
(17-05-2012 04:07 PM)Pachomius Wrote:  I hope you get what I am trying to say.

Yup, I get you.

I had not yet realized that the promise of a postmortem preservation of identity was utter and complete nonsense. If Christianity abandons that bullshit promise then I don't think I'd have much of a problem with it. I've felt for quite some time now that the Golden Rule is the only rule. ... Of course then Christianity becomes nearly indistinguishable from a number of other religions so its coffers might suffer.

#sigh