As an atheist now, what is your lifestyle at present?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-08-2015, 11:09 AM
RE: As an atheist now, what is your lifestyle at present?
(14-05-2012 04:16 PM)Pachomius Wrote:  As an atheist now, what is your lifestyle at present?

Like what things you do now or will do now which you did not do before or would prefer to not do before?

Pachomius

Nothing really. But now I have more free time on weekends to spend with friends, family and various personal ventures. I treat people the same, I have the same hobbies, I enjoy the same subjects.

Well there is one thing. I find myself appreciating things more, little moments that don't really matter. Knowing this will be the only time in my life I have to do so. When I was more religious, I took moments for granted, thinking "well i'll make up for it in heaven." Or "i'll get to see that when I'm a ghost.".

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Commonsensei's post
01-08-2015, 11:44 AM
I hate the word "lifestyle". Being yourself and doing what makes you happy isn't a " lifestyle", it is simply living. "Lifestyle" smacks of classism and or protectionism as if there is a script one has to follow.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Brian37's post
05-08-2015, 03:26 PM
Hmm. Ive always been an atheist. All my family, friends and neighbours are/were atheists so my lifestyle has always been hassle free of religion and its influences.

Lived the single life on and off in between girlfriends and now am married with a child and another on the way.

Video Games, movies and cleaning is now my lifestyle lol
06-08-2015, 02:31 PM
Nothing has really changed with me since I never actually believed in any gods in the first place. I was raised Catholic, and we had one of those giant bibles full of pictures. I read it as if it was just another of my comic books.

I was never pressured to be religious at all, although my uncle insisted I go to church just to make my grand-mother happy. I would go into the church, and immediately leave with the church's weekly bulletin as proof that I was there. That's about it.

I was an atheist long before I had ever even heard of the word "atheist." But as I grew older and more responsible, I became sensitive to the rights of others to believe whatever the fuck they wanted to believe. I didn't really care.

But in recent years, with all these news reports of what Christians and Muslims do to people, I became more outspoken against religion. Sure, many of my friends and family are religious, and I don't hold that against them, but I don't go around in my personal life shoving my atheism down anybody's throat either.

Yesterday, here at my computer shop, a young 13 year old boy walked in. I know his parents, who own a gas station/convenience store. They asked me if i would be willing to teach their boy a few things about computers and I agreed.

The boy was of Indian decent, and Muslim. He noticed this website on my screen. I told him to have no worries about me having no beliefs, and that his beliefs have nothing to do with anything I could teach him. He was put at ease, and this kid could then package up his beliefs into a nice tidy box and lock them away.

I spoke to his parents, exceptionally moderate Muslims, and learned that this kid is all Straight As in school with an IQ of 147.

My point in relating this is that I have learned not to be so judgmental on theists via first impressions, and not to group them all under one umbrella thinking they are all the same. They are not.

Having problems with your computer? Visit our Free Tech Support thread for help!
06-08-2015, 02:36 PM
(01-08-2015 09:15 AM)kim Wrote:  Pachoman contracted a nasty case of Necropompous.

Embarrassing. Drinking Beverage

I had to be tested. Pachy is my boy-friend ya know. Drinking Beverage

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
06-08-2015, 02:47 PM
Well I was just a kid, about 12 or 13 when I realized I didn't believe in a higher power or supernatural realm. I'm 36 now so I do all the stuff adults do that kids can't do, sex, alcohol, raising children, staying up late and eating ice cream if I feel like it, listening to jazz occasionally, lol.

But beyond that I guess the big difference is I go where the evidence and/or most plausible theories lead me. I don't have "beliefs" anymore really, or if I do I try to remain open to changing them when presented with better ideas.
07-08-2015, 02:53 PM
Great topic for a thread!

I pretty much do what I did before, only now I don't feel bad. Also, I sleep in on Sundays.

One thing that has changed is I'm much more into health and fitness as an atheist. That's a very long story, but it is a direct consequence of my atheism.
10-08-2015, 02:52 PM
(14-05-2012 08:50 PM)Pachomius Wrote:  
(14-05-2012 04:21 PM)lucradis Wrote:  Welcome to the forum, feel free to post an introduction in the intros section.

As to your question I can't actually answer it because all of the religious experience I had were ones I had sought out myself as a child. I have never claimed a religious title.

Most of our members were Christians previously so you should get your answers.

I would imagine they will resemble this:

I used to attend church an now I don't.
Well, not attending church now is logical but it is not a doing thing.

Just name some acts which you now do whereas before you would rather not do, which change is also logical but in a positive instead of a negative direction.

By way of illustration, let's say that before you were a Buddhist, but now you are no longer a Buddhist; as a Buddhist previously you abstained from eating animal flesh for food, now you eat animal flesh for food.

Or you were an orthodox Jew or Muslim before and did not eat pork, now you are no longer adhering to the orthodox Jewish faith or Islam, so now you eat pork.

Also in the case of now being a Muslim instead of previously being a Christian, you no longer have only one wife but you have four wives.

Pachomius

Before, I was a Christian, and I only ate Christians. Now that I'm atheist, I eat non-believers

(22-08-2015 07:30 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  It is by will alone I set my brows in motion it is by the conditioner of avocado that the brows acquire volume the skin acquires spots the spots become a warning. It is by will alone I set my brows in motion.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
20-12-2015, 02:35 PM
(14-05-2012 04:16 PM)Pachomius Wrote:  As an atheist now, what is your lifestyle at present?

Like what things you do now or will do now which you did not do before or would prefer to not do before?

Pachomius

That is easy without the Babble telling us we cannot we are all going out to rape our baby sisters and kill a few people!
20-12-2015, 04:06 PM
I only go into churches for marrying or burying of religious people, out of respect for them only. Other than that, I don't do anything religious. That is the only difference. It's not like I'm pillaging and raping.