As an atheist now, what is your lifestyle at present?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-05-2012, 07:13 PM (This post was last modified: 17-05-2012 07:30 PM by Vipa.)
RE: As an atheist now, what is your lifestyle at present?
(17-05-2012 04:07 PM)Pachomius Wrote:  By what is in my mind and in my heart I mean what thoughts are in your thinking and what emotions are in your feeling, which thoughts and emotions were not occupying your mind and your heart when you were a Christian sincerely practicing your faith.
Like for example, in your thinking it could be a different worldview now as an atheist so that in your thinking there is no God the uncreated creator of the universe, and in your feeling in regard to God and the Christian faith you harbor a belligerent hostility against God and the Christian faith, even though now as an atheist for you there is no God the uncreated creator of the universe and the Christian faith is all irrational.
I hope you get what I am trying to say.

"which thoughts and emotions were not occupying your mind and your heart when you were a Christian sincerely practicing your faith."

It is probably the opposite of this.
I never believed in a god (maybe pantheism though), so I'm only able to speak about what I heard and what I think.

Anyways just like atheism is the lack of a believe in god, what you think and what you feel different as an atheist is probably best described in the same way.
"Lack of":
- false guilt,
- "commanded" immoral behaviour
e.g.:
externally demanded hatred (e.g. towards homosexuals)
seeing women as property of men
etc.
- religious induced fear
- superstitious thinking patterns

I think you could get the point.

As a positive description: It is a freer state of mind

For some the transition from theism to atheism awakens their curiosity again.
Instead of praising the "lord" they tend to feel the urge to know more about everything - you could see this as an example for emotions and thoughts which "occupy" their minds and which they did not have as devout believers.

"and in your feeling in regard to God and the Christian faith you harbor a belligerent hostility against God and the Christian faith"

That's not true either. We do not "harbor a belligerent hostility". We plainly F**KN HAt... oh... wait... Tongue

No seriously. We do not hate god (aka harbor a belligerent hostility - because he doesn't exist, maybe some would hate him if he did). We dislike the fairytale(s) and we don't accept the presented concept(s) of god. Not because they are real, but because they are teaching outdated nonsense, because they are full of authoritarian (god) abuse of power (the list of why's fills books), because there's simply no evidence to support them whatsoever (therefore fairytales) and because for some obscure reason people believe the badly written tales and act upon them.
And we do not hate christianity per se. We "hate" what christianity makes people do to their children, to people in real need of help or even to us and we certainly don't want christians imposing their rules on everyone else. We wouldn't care what religious people believe, if they wouldn't force their believes on others and wouldn't act on detestable in-group/out-group thinking. After all, it would be silly to hate a made-up story with no impact on anyone.

Bottom line:
We only (temporarily) think about atheism and are agitated by it, because there are counter parts who tend to express their believes very loudly and would love to destroy (for solely self-preserving reasons) many of humanity's achievements...
In general, as seen in the posts so far, people don't change much. And if they do, some even change for the better, like Dom says. At the very least you won't find the hatred or negative impact of atheism you're looking for.
Atheism is nothing but a pixel in the larger picture of one's personality and should not be the game changer (losing your job/friends etc.) it is today.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Vipa's post
18-05-2012, 05:43 AM
(17-05-2012 04:24 PM)kineo Wrote:  
(17-05-2012 04:17 PM)NoahsFarce Wrote:  By the way, it's very hard to understand your style of speech/writing. It's writhe with redundancy e.g. "In your thinking... in your thinking...", "uncreated creator.... uncreated creator...".

If you want people to understand you, speak plainly... you're not HoC.

I'm hesitant to criticize his writing because it doesn't sound like English is his first language and some people have more trouble with it than others. I think he's trying to make it clear, but maybe I'm wrong... I'm making an assumption based on his writing. Undecided
Even if that's the case, the fact that he broke what he said down in simpler terms proves to me that he's fully capable of speaking plainly.

I have a thing against needless fanciful language. It's great that people have this type of handle on English, but it's just flat out unnecessary at times. I'm not talking about big words here. I'm talking about phrases like:

"The uncreated creator"

Are we trying to be poetic here? Just say deity, God, creator, or invisible sky daddy instead. We all know that the idea behind this being is that they are "uncreated".

"What's in my heart and soul"

WTF? Just say "what I feel".

“We are all connected; To each other, biologically. To the earth, chemically. To the rest of the universe atomically.”

-Neil deGrasse Tyson
[+] 2 users Like NoahsFarce's post
18-05-2012, 10:27 AM
My way of thinking has completely changed, but that doesn't mean that much has changed in my day-to-day activities. Even as someone who identified as a "Christian" when I was younger (I'm still young so 10 years or so ago) I rarely attended church, never prayed, and I never studied the bible or any other religion. After realizing I was an atheist 4-5 years ago, I began to change how I thought about things and how I thought about my own life. It wasn't simply some temporary state until I reached the end of my life, it was a temporary state that would soon end, for good. That revelation was very difficult to accept at first, but only because I had been lied to my whole life about being immortal. You see, the reason I felt sad is because some part of me at the time still felt like I was giving up some "afterlife." I eventually realized that I wasn't actually giving anything up, and that confronting the truth of my inevitable nonexistence became something I accepted and have come to embrace. That changed me, for the better. It made me a better person, I smile more frequently, I am more polite, I try to admit when I am wrong, and I strive to correct my character flaws. My views on matters such as LGBT rights, the death penalty, healthcare, and many other areas have all done a complete 180 from my "Christian" views. My views now are more compassionate and aimed towards helping people, whereas before, they were aimed at my own self interests, prejudices, and that damn book that claimed infallibility.

Has much changed in my day to day rituals, no. I still play video games, go to the office, study, read, discuss, eat, play, fuck, and pretty much everything else I did before I realized I identified as an atheist. My line of thinking is completely different though, if that is what you were asking. I see the world and this universe as a gorgeous place, incredibly complex and yet beautifully simple. It is a world dominated by Plate Tectonics and evolution, the atoms that comprise you and I were also a part of a dinosaur in the past and a dinoflagellate before that. All of the H and He atoms that are a part of you originated from the Big Bang, every element heavier than that was forged in the heart of a star or through its destruction. Those stars died and spread themselves across the universe and from them, all life on this planet arose. You see, I thought I saw beauty in the world when I was a "Christian" but I was deceived, what I saw at that time in my life was a world that is the equivalent of a lego playset. It was one were some being dictated everything and allowed the evils of the world to occur with the good, it was a world were I was told I could not understand it because "god" is outside of my comprehension, it was a world of lies, deceit, and complacency. The universe is now a place of logic and randomness and universal laws and science, and the best thing about that is that I can learn from it, I can study it, I can understand it, and I can actually enjoy it.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
[+] 2 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
18-05-2012, 12:19 PM
(18-05-2012 05:43 AM)NoahsFarce Wrote:  
(17-05-2012 04:24 PM)kineo Wrote:  I'm hesitant to criticize his writing because it doesn't sound like English is his first language and some people have more trouble with it than others. I think he's trying to make it clear, but maybe I'm wrong... I'm making an assumption based on his writing. Undecided
Even if that's the case, the fact that he broke what he said down in simpler terms proves to me that he's fully capable of speaking plainly.

I have a thing against needless fanciful language. It's great that people have this type of handle on English, but it's just flat out unnecessary at times. I'm not talking about big words here. I'm talking about phrases like:

"The uncreated creator"

Are we trying to be poetic here? Just say deity, God, creator, or invisible sky daddy instead. We all know that the idea behind this being is that they are "uncreated".

"What's in my heart and soul"

WTF? Just say "what I feel".
I see what you mean- and I agree. Shy
18-05-2012, 03:58 PM
Only attend church about every 3 months, only to appease Christian girl friend.

When in church, I constantly look for deceptive teachings, which is pretty much everything. I do not pray, close eyes or sing.

Spend about 5-10 minutes a day, explaining my FreeThinking views to her. Try not to be too aggressive.

I don't make a big deal out of my change. Practically all my relatives and friends are Christian, and they would more than likely turn against me if I told them about my change to Atheism.
18-05-2012, 05:53 PM
I am a Christian.

Let us say that there are two kinds of Christians, the sincerely practicing kind and the what I might call not sincerely practicing kind.

Now, there are atheists who used to be Christians and they say that they have not changed in terms of acts they used to do when Christians, they mention acts which Christians do, but which I notice to be acts contrary to the observances of sincerely practicing Christians.

In that respect of Christians who are not sincerely practicing Christians, ex-Christians now atheists are not adopting any new lifestyle different from their previous lifestyle.

So, as I mentioned earlier, if such ex-Christians now atheists have a pet dog, their dog would not see anything new in their new lifestyle.

But the dog would see something different in the mind and heart of these now atheists previously Christians albeit not sincerely practicing Christians, if the dog can and does have access to the thinking and the feeling of their masters -- now atheists but previously Christians though not sincerely practicing Christians.

Now, Christians and atheists are both human beings, as human beings we can and do see into the mind and heart of each other.

The way I see into the mind of now atheists previously Christians though not sincerely practicing Christians, is that their thinking or their mind is now of the conviction that there is no God the uncreated creator of the universe.

And the way I see into their heart is that they now are disposed to harbor a belligerent hostility against God and Christians.

And that is why I now have an explanation why Christians logically do not want to have atheists running the government, and even not have their children marry one of them, namely, because we do not want to have people in the government, and also definitely not marrying our children, who are contradictory to our thinking and feeling.

And that also explains why atheists feel politically discriminated against because Christians don’t accept atheists to be in the government.

And they also feel socially discriminated against because Christians don’t accept atheists for marriage with their (Christians’) children.

I started this thread to examine why atheists are trying hard to explain why people should understand them and accept them, now I seem to see why Christians and I am a Christian don’t accept them, namely, because your mind and heart are not the same as our mind and heart.

By the way, English is not my mother tongue.

But I try to write English as best as I can.

Pachomius
18-05-2012, 06:43 PM
(18-05-2012 05:53 PM)Pachomius Wrote:  I am a Christian.

Let us say that there are two kinds of Christians, the sincerely practicing kind and the what I might call not sincerely practicing kind.

Now, there are atheists who used to be Christians and they say that they have not changed in terms of acts they used to do when Christians, they mention acts which Christians do, but which I notice to be acts contrary to the observances of sincerely practicing Christians.

In that respect of Christians who are not sincerely practicing Christians, ex-Christians now atheists are not adopting any new lifestyle different from their previous lifestyle.

So, as I mentioned earlier, if such ex-Christians now atheists have a pet dog, their dog would not see anything new in their new lifestyle.

But the dog would see something different in the mind and heart of these now atheists previously Christians albeit not sincerely practicing Christians, if the dog can and does have access to the thinking and the feeling of their masters -- now atheists but previously Christians though not sincerely practicing Christians.

Now, Christians and atheists are both human beings, as human beings we can and do see into the mind and heart of each other.

The way I see into the mind of now atheists previously Christians though not sincerely practicing Christians, is that their thinking or their mind is now of the conviction that there is no God the uncreated creator of the universe.

And the way I see into their heart is that they now are disposed to harbor a belligerent hostility against God and Christians.

And that is why I now have an explanation why Christians logically do not want to have atheists running the government, and even not have their children marry one of them, namely, because we do not want to have people in the government, and also definitely not marrying our children, who are contradictory to our thinking and feeling.

And that also explains why atheists feel politically discriminated against because Christians don’t accept atheists to be in the government.

And they also feel socially discriminated against because Christians don’t accept atheists for marriage with their (Christians’) children.

I started this thread to examine why atheists are trying hard to explain why people should understand them and accept them, now I seem to see why Christians and I am a Christian don’t accept them, namely, because your mind and heart are not the same as our mind and heart.

By the way, English is not my mother tongue.

Pachomius

I don't get why you keep talking about hostility. Exactly the opposite is the case, most atheists (and it's really not healthy to generalize like that anyway) are very kind and empathic people. More so than Christians, because we don't judge people.

And, atheists are not convinced that there is no god. There may very well be a god, there is no proof either way.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 3 users Like Dom's post
18-05-2012, 06:44 PM (This post was last modified: 18-05-2012 11:08 PM by Bucky Ball.)
Pachomius Wrote:  I am a Christian.

Let's not.
There are 33,000 sects of "christians". They all think they are in possession of THE truth, (just like you do). So get in line.
No matter how you define it, "sincerely practicing" is all in YOUR head, and judged according to YOUR preconceived notions, about what you THINK christianity is all about, and without any evidence, what you THINK other people are up to. How do you KNOW, you possess THE truth ?

Christianity today is based on two componded MYTHS,

a. a fallacious biblical "fall", (which has been debunked by biblical scholars, as a misinterpretation of an Ancient Near Eastern Chaos Myth, ("The Garden Myth),

b. the "need" for a savior, (which your Jesus NEVER spoke of, and in fact was introduced into the developing cult by Saul of Tarsus, (St. Paul), which has been proven by historians, to be unoriginal to the christian cult, which for many years, was just a subsect in Judaism.
You need some Ancient History.

So, no there are thousands of versions of the cult, (which you obviously have never studied).

Pachomius Wrote:  Now, there are atheists who used to be Christians and they say that they have not changed in terms of acts they used to do when Christians, they mention acts which Christians do, but which I notice to be acts contrary to the observances of sincerely practicing Christians.

So what. The point is ? There are evil christians. Irrelevant.

Pachomius Wrote:  In that respect of Christians who are not sincerely practicing Christians, ex-Christians now atheists are not adopting any new lifestyle different from their previous lifestyle.

Again, so what ? I still sing in the Episcopal Cathedral Choir in San Diego, cuz I like music. You point is meaningless. YOU have no way of judging who is sincere and who is not "sincere". According to you, your "god only knows the hearts of men".
The observations of the dog are so ludicrous as to not benefit a response.

Not only the dog, but YOU also, cannot "see into the hearts of men". YOU project what you THINK are their thoughts, and motivations. In fact you have NO WAY of determining them. If you are telling us you read minds, you need help.

The dog has has no access, never did, and never will. Get off the dog, already. Are you comparing yourself to a dog ? So now a dog can judge sincerity. You are hilarious.

Pachomius Wrote:  Now, Christians and atheists are both human beings, as human beings we can and do see into the mind and heart of each other.

So you ARE a mind reader, and not only that, so is your dog. Where in hell do they get these people ? Don't they have some sane ones to send here ?

There is no "uncreated" "creator". A creator has to act. An action requires time. If there is no time yet created, it can't "act". That's why Physicists have described a "Singularity". Take some Physics. First Cause has been debunked.

"They" are NOT "belliegerent". THAT is a PERFECT example of YOUR 'Projection", and evidence for the FACT that, indeed YOU cannot, see ". into the hearts of men".

You are simply wrong, and deluded. Why you NEED to explain the world to yourself that way is another question, (which has to do with Psychology). No one can "hate" a non-existent being. That is CRAZY talk. I have many christian friends, and why would I hate a "nothing" ?

Pachomius Wrote:  And that is why I now have an explanation why Christians logically do not want to have atheists running the government, and even not have their children marry one of them, namely, because we do not want to have people in the government, and also definitely not marrying our children, who are contradictory to our thinking and feeling.

The reason you want christians running the government is because you have not studied history, and you are deluded enough to think that just because someone SAYS they are a christian, they would DO "christian" things. History has proven that false, countless times.

There are countles examples of discrimination, and the "atheists" in government is but one.

Pachomius Wrote:  I started this thread to examine why atheists are trying hard to explain why people should understand them and accept them, now I seem to see why Christians and I am a Christian don’t accept them, namely, because your mind and heart are not the same as our mind and heart.

No you didn't. You have not "examined" a thing. You have not listened to one thing anyone said. You are just as ignorant now, as when you started this thread. You came here to validate your delusions, and you succeded, because you now are still projecting your original delisions, as much as you did when you started.

So lets see. History 101, Bible Study 101, Physics 101, Psych 101, Civics 101.

You're gonna be a busy boy.

And BTW, before you say I'm angry and belligerant...I laughed my way through this.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post
18-05-2012, 08:43 PM
(18-05-2012 05:53 PM)Pachomius Wrote:  I am a Christian.

It's not like I really expect an answer, but it would be nice to know which of your feelings and thoughts make you a christian, which of them make you so different from or better than us?
And what exactly makes you think we have a "belligerent hostility" against god and christians? (As some already postet hating a 'nothing' is impossible)

The only thing I see so far from your side is your prejudice against an inexistent dummy-atheism while ignoring all responses. Your "understanding" of atheism seems solely based on your indoctrinated inability to even try to comprehend an opposite position and your complete lack of actual interaction with us.

Hating and blaming the unknown is easy and this is also one of the mechanisms behind racism - you should jump over your shadow and at least try us first...
18-05-2012, 10:59 PM
(18-05-2012 05:53 PM)Pachomius Wrote:  Let us say that there are two kinds of Christians, the sincerely practicing kind and the what I might call not sincerely practicing kind. ... In that respect of Christians who are not sincerely practicing Christians, ex-Christians now atheists are not adopting any new lifestyle different from their previous lifestyle.

Ah, the No True Christian could ever become an atheist fallacy. But who are you to doubt my acceptance of the Holy Spirit? And who are you to doubt my constitution for later committing the unforgivable sin by regurgitating the poisonous bits? I mean I made it a point to taste the bits of vomit first and reingested the good bits. It's your stomach which I question because apparently it cannot distinguish the poison from the word. As Dom pointed out, most atheists I know are much better at living the Golden Rule than many Christians.

(18-05-2012 05:53 PM)Pachomius Wrote:  And they also feel socially discriminated against because Christians don’t accept atheists for marriage with their (Christians’) children.

This atheist was married to a Catholic 26 years ago now in a Catholic Church by a Catholic Priest. Everyone knew it, nobody seemed particularly bothered by it.

(18-05-2012 05:53 PM)Pachomius Wrote:  I started this thread to examine why atheists are trying hard to explain why people should understand them and accept them, now I seem to see why Christians and I am a Christian don’t accept them, namely, because your mind and heart are not the same as our mind and heart.

After almost 50 years on this planet, I've found that an effective way to get others to accept me is to not give a shit whether they accept me or not. Then it's their problem, not mine.

(18-05-2012 05:53 PM)Pachomius Wrote:  By the way, English is not my mother tongue.

Your English is fine. What is your mother tongue?

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post