As an atheist now, what is your lifestyle at present?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-05-2012, 11:05 PM
RE: As an atheist now, what is your lifestyle at present?
When I was a True Believer, and brother let me tell you, I practiced it better than most, I treated my dog as if I had dominion over her because I was the master. That's the Christian Worldview. Now, with a new worldview and a new dog, I'm a much better trainer to my pup because I have a broader understanding of evolutionary pack behavior. Well meaning Christians might beat their dogs into submission. As a believer in evolution, I look for ways to capitalize on her natural instincts and do my best to guide her into the sort of behavior I hope she will conform to.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 7 users Like Erxomai's post
19-05-2012, 10:25 AM
As an atheist now, but former christian but not a true practicing christian, I can safely say I think you are completely wrong in your assertion that atheists are distrusted by Christians because "our hearts and minds are not the same." We are the same, and most atheists, but former christians but not true practicing christians, that have had the "christian" experience will likely tell you they don't care what the personal beliefs of the person in power are, we just don't want to be forced to believe them ourselves. I have no problem with christians in government, as long as they leave it out of their policy-making. Anyone who makes policies based on religious belief (including an atheist) is doing more damage than good. Like I said, even an atheist who makes policies around the belief that no god exists, would do more damage to the society they help govern because they will isolate a portion of the population and ostracize them.

I don't hate christian ideals because I disagree with them, I hate christian ideals because people try to push them off on me.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
19-05-2012, 05:07 PM
Well, atheists now who previously were not sincerely practicing Christians claim to not genuinely have the conviction to the effect that God the uncreated creator of the universe does not exist, and they also
claim that they don't harbor any belligerent hostility against God and Christians.

They explain that God just does not enjoy any proof that will convince them that God exists, and as regards hostility against God and Christians they atheists are not so, at most they are only mistakenly taken to
be belligerently hostile against God and Christians.

The way I see it as one human can see another human, atheists are psychologically convinced there is no God the uncreated creator of the universe, although they will claim that they don't have absolute proof
against God's existence.

And they claim to be as civil as any well-behaved civilized human can be civil toward God and Christians; well, that is how they claim to be civil, but I for being a human can see it that they are psychologically
though behaving civilly are psychologically belligerently hostile against God and Christians.

And the cause is because they are psychologically convinced though not logically convinced that there is no God the uncreated creator of the universe, and that kind of psychology in regard to God is certain to
psychologically stimulate them to also psychologically although not manifestly in civil comportment but still for people who can see other people's psychological actuations, they atheists are psychologically belligerently
hostile to God and Christians.

So, I am always looking for psychologists who undertake to examine the psychological actuations of atheists -- who were previously Christians albeit though not sincerely practicing Christians -- in order to draw up a psychological profile of such atheists, profile in regard to the question: Are now atheists but previously not sincerely practicing Christians psychologically i.e. affectively convinced though not logically against the
existence of God as the uncreated creator of the universe, and also are they psychologically i.e. affectively belligerently hostile against God and Christians.

Can we work together, you now atheists albeit previously Christians but not sincerely practicing Christians, and I still a Christian, work together to look for studies of psychologists who are occupied with such a
topic?

I have read that there are sociologists today who are now interested to take up atheists for their study as a social group, so there must also be psychologists who will take up such a study of atheists as a psychological
group.

[ Sorry, if the formatting is a bit peculiar, because I use a word processor to write and to check spelling, but when I transfer the text to here, my text comes out a bit peculiar. ]

Pachomius
19-05-2012, 05:21 PM
May I ask what your native language is?

Your sentence structure and bundling of words looks very peculiar in english, but it has a system and a rhythm to it so I assume it is because you are translating straight fom another language.

As far as having a psychologist study atheists - you will likely find that we don't have all that much in common. Not the way you think. We are people from all walks of life, all ages and origins. The ways we were raised differs vastly.

The things we seem to have in common is curiosity, empathy and rationality. And a playful sense of humor.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 3 users Like Dom's post
19-05-2012, 05:25 PM
You need to use something else because that is borderline gibberish.

Let me ask you this, what would proof on the nonexistence of something be and/or look like? Ergo, how would one prove that Big Foot does indeed not exist?

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
19-05-2012, 07:52 PM (This post was last modified: 19-05-2012 08:06 PM by kim.)
(18-05-2012 05:53 PM)Pachomius Wrote:  I am a Christian.
Now, Christians and atheists are both human beings, as human beings we can and do see into the mind and heart of each.
If a human being has little or no interaction with another human being, neither would be able to understand anything about each other.
One's assumption of seeing into another's mind is folly, I can assure you. Do not your holy writings tell you not man, only God can see into another man's mind and heart - only your God has this ability? Sounds as if you are trying to take the place of your God here.

(18-05-2012 05:53 PM)Pachomius Wrote:  And the way I see into their heart is that they now are disposed to harbor a belligerent hostility against God and Christians.
...now I seem to see why Christians and I am a Christian don’t accept them, namely, because your mind and heart are not the same as our mind and heart.
So, you base your "nonacceptance" of others on a preconceived notion that you are able to see into another's mind and heart like your God, and because of this, you judge others to be different from yourself. YOU judge, not God. Do not your holy writings advise that no man has the ability to judge another man, that this is only for God to do? Once again, it appears you have taken the place of your God.

(18-05-2012 05:53 PM)Pachomius Wrote:  By the way, English is not my mother tongue.
But I try to write English as best as I can.
You write English well, but you would do much better to read what others have written and ask questions about what you find confusing. Anyone would be glad to help you understand their point of view. Shy

However, you have come here only to presume so very much, while making no attempt to experience any other human being's point of view. People here have not shown you hostility, rather you have been the aggressor having made the statements quoted above.

It does appear you have come here only to pretend to be your God, and to judge others as if you were your God. Sir, according to your holy writings, this would be a blasphemous sin.

I hope you had a nice feast day, Pachomius. Sleep well. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 3 users Like kim's post
20-05-2012, 04:13 PM
Well, correct me if I am mistaken but no one here so far has any work by psychologists about atheists as a peculiar psychological group.

And the way I read your posts, atheists would not care less to find out if there are such studies on the psychology of atheists as a distinct group in mankind.

All you want to do is to tell mankind that you are all different except for your -- to the observation of Christians like yours truly -- are of the at least psychological conviction, there is no God, and of the psychological attitude of belligerent hostility against God and Christians.

But you are concerned psychologically to tell mankind that you are not any different in being and acting atheist to the rest of mankind: whether Christians or whatever else but not professedly atheist.

In other words, you want to be accepted by the rest of mankind, perhaps in particular by Christians who do take their Christian faith sincerely as to practice it habitually.

I have come across a website that is purposely into investigating atheists, although it says in its title that it is into investigating atheism, see what this website says about "Atheism and meaning":
Quote:Religious belief has traditionally provided human beings with a reason to think that their individual lives have a purpose, and that the existence of humanity as such has a purpose. Atheism, on the contrary, has generally taught that both individual human beings and (eventually) humanity as a whole have no purpose in the universe, and that they will be definitively annihilated in the course of time (human beings after their short spans of life, humanity - at latest - when the earth finally becomes uninhabitable). In the light of this prima facie deeply depressing prospect, the question of life's meaning or purpose within atheism has posed a peculiarly difficult challenge to atheists since the origins of modern atheism in the seventeenth century.

Religious believers have traditionally not been slow to point out that atheism must lead to despair, since it deprives humans of the hope that injustices in this life will be corrected in the next, and frustrates what would appear to be their natural desire to live forever. It also frustrates humans' hope that reality is fundamentally good rather than bad or indifferent with respect to them, and deprives them of any genuine motivation to act in the world.

[...]

http://www.investigatingatheism.info/meaning.html

If you change every instance of the word atheism into atheists, then I think you will see that this section of the website is into the psychology of atheists.

We can work together to draw up a psychololgy of atheists from this website, even though the title of the website is into investigating atheism and not specifically atheists: but what is atheism if not about the cognitive, affective, and also behavioral patterns of atheists?

If you ask me, the way I observe atheists the most enthusiastic ones, they will want to and had also succeeded in establishing atheists' states, i.e. governed by atheists and explicitly and actively and even violently suppressing God and believers in God.

There had been explicitly atheists' states but they have all failed.

Still, Christians are on guard to ensure that no atheists ever take over a government in the land where they are the majority.

Pachomius
20-05-2012, 04:32 PM
I read gibberish. You're entitled to your particular brand of gibberish, but I don't swallow gibberish of any flavours other than my own.

Enough with the not true Christian hullabaloo. We get it, every Christian that comes here states the same thing. You couldn't have been a TRUE christian since you no longer believe. You were pretending or were too weak yadda yadda. You know what they say about Christians don't you? Born an atheist, everything else is experimentation. It's like when kids go to college and try gay out for a while to see how it is. Only see, some of those kids find out that they are gay, or Christian. The rest go one trying to pretend that part of their life never happened. Wash it away with some good booze.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like lucradis's post
20-05-2012, 04:35 PM
(20-05-2012 04:13 PM)Pachomius Wrote:  Well, correct me if I am mistaken but no one here so far has any work by psychologists about atheists as a peculiar psychological group.

And the way I read your posts, atheists would not care less to find out if there are such studies on the psychology of atheists as a distinct group in mankind.

All you want to do is to tell mankind that you are all different except for your -- to the observation of Christians like yours truly -- are of the at least psychological conviction, there is no God, and of the psychological attitude of belligerent hostility against God and Christians.

But you are concerned psychologically to tell mankind that you are not any different in being and acting atheist to the rest of mankind: whether Christians or whatever else but not professedly atheist.

In other words, you want to be accepted by the rest of mankind, perhaps in particular by Christians who do take their Christian faith sincerely as to practice it habitually.

I have come across a website that is purposely into investigating atheists, although it says in its title that it is into investigating atheism, see what this website says about "Atheism and meaning":
Quote:Religious belief has traditionally provided human beings with a reason to think that their individual lives have a purpose, and that the existence of humanity as such has a purpose. Atheism, on the contrary, has generally taught that both individual human beings and (eventually) humanity as a whole have no purpose in the universe, and that they will be definitively annihilated in the course of time (human beings after their short spans of life, humanity - at latest - when the earth finally becomes uninhabitable). In the light of this prima facie deeply depressing prospect, the question of life's meaning or purpose within atheism has posed a peculiarly difficult challenge to atheists since the origins of modern atheism in the seventeenth century.

Religious believers have traditionally not been slow to point out that atheism must lead to despair, since it deprives humans of the hope that injustices in this life will be corrected in the next, and frustrates what would appear to be their natural desire to live forever. It also frustrates humans' hope that reality is fundamentally good rather than bad or indifferent with respect to them, and deprives them of any genuine motivation to act in the world.

[...]

http://www.investigatingatheism.info/meaning.html

If you change every instance of the word atheism into atheists, then I think you will see that this section of the website is into the psychology of atheists.

We can work together to draw up a psychololgy of atheists from this website, even though the title of the website is into investigating atheism and not specifically atheists: but what is atheism if not about the cognitive, affective, and also behavioral patterns of atheists?

If you ask me, the way I observe atheists the most enthusiastic ones, they will want to and had also succeeded in establishing atheists' states, i.e. governed by atheists and explicitly and actively and even violently suppressing God and believers in God.

There had been explicitly atheists' states but they have all failed.

Still, Christians are on guard to ensure that no atheists ever take over a government in the land where they are the majority.

Pachomius

Please answer questions posed to you.

What is your native language? I am curious about the way you word things.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
20-05-2012, 08:30 PM
(20-05-2012 04:13 PM)Pachomius Wrote:  Well, correct me if I am mistaken but no one here so far has any work by psychologists about atheists as a peculiar psychological group.

There is no doubt, you are mistaken, so please, stand corrected. No one cares about a "psychological work concerning atheists as a group", because to identify such a group would be extrememly, impossibly large, and it would be totally unwieldy. Obviously you have no background in Psychology, or how study cohorts/samples are set up. You are right, we could care less about finding a study with your parameters, because it would be meaningless. What are you proposing that the Null Hypothesis would be ? Are you in like 6th Grade ? Have you taken any Science courses ?

Actually "all we want to do" is tell mankind, we are NO different. Wrong again Sherlock.

The conclusion some of us have come to is not a "psychological conviction", (and would be obvious to you if you actually knew any atheists, instead of projecting your false notions which you got from web sites, onto others, as Kim has tried to tell you). Our convictions about the absence of a deity are the result of scientific, historical and literary inquiry. Again you assumptions are false.

We don't give a shit if we are "accepted by Christians" because we live, for the most part in a Democratic Republic, which grants the SAME rights to everyone, not just Christians. The problem with just granting rights to Christians, is that some "nut job" like you, can come along, and say "you must be MY brand of Christian, or you are not Christian ENOUGH to please ME". See where that gets you ? YOU are in danger in a Christian society which ONLY grants rights to Christians. Tomorrow your neighbor can decide he is a better Christian than YOU, and take away your rights. Is THAT so difficult ?

You need to learn to evaluate what you read on Christian web sites, sonny, with some critical thinking. The comment about depression is false. Again, YOU are projecting, and you have no clue what you are talking about. Atheism does NOT lead to despair. That is FALSE. Show us the EVIDENCE. It's the same old bullshit, as "there are no atheists in fox holes".

You appear to be VERY young and VERY inept. You have not answered ANY questions, or responded to ANY points. You keep repeating the SAME false nonsense. What exactly do you think you're accomplishing here, other than making yourself look VERY FOOLISH ?

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post