As an atheist now, what is your lifestyle at present?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-05-2012, 04:23 PM
RE: As an atheist now, what is your lifestyle at present?
(20-05-2012 08:30 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(20-05-2012 04:13 PM)Pachomius Wrote:  Well, correct me if I am mistaken but no one here so far has any work by psychologists about atheists as a peculiar psychological group.

[...]The conclusion some of us have come to is not a "psychological conviction", (and would be obvious to you if you actually knew any atheists, instead of projecting your false notions which you got from web sites, onto others, as Kim has tried to tell you). Our convictions about the absence of a deity are the result of scientific, historical and literary inquiry. Again you assumptions are false.[...]

Let us we two have an exchange of thoughts no not on your psychology of being an atheist but on your rationality of being an atheist.

First, are you an ex-Christian? because unless you are an ex-Christian you would not know what is the concept of God in the Christian faith in His fundamental relation to the universe.

You say: "Our convictions about the absence of a deity are the result of scientific, historical and literary inquiry."

That deity you are talking about has to do with the concept of God in the Christian faith in His fundamental relation to the universe.

We are now no longer into your lifestyle but into your thinking style, tell me how your inquiry in science, history, and literature leads to your conclusion that there is absent an entity corresponding to the concept of God.

Pachomius
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-05-2012, 04:38 PM
(21-05-2012 04:23 PM)Pachomius Wrote:  .... because unless you are an ex-Christian you would not know what is the concept of God in the Christian faith in His fundamental relation to the universe.
Hang on there Pachomius, I know and understand the concept of God in the Christian faith in his fundamental relation to the universe and I have never been a Christian in any way.

You might want to actually learn about people before you declare some kind of biased opinion about them. Your very narrow view of Atheism and Atheists will only serve to undermine anything you post.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
21-05-2012, 05:09 PM
(21-05-2012 04:23 PM)Pachomius Wrote:  We are now no longer into your lifestyle but into your thinking style, tell me how your inquiry in science, history, and literature leads to your conclusion that there is absent an entity corresponding to the concept of God.

Okey dokey smokey. I don't dismiss an entity corresponding to the concept of God, I reify it as we.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
21-05-2012, 05:40 PM
Pachomius, what is your native language? This is the third time I have asked.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
21-05-2012, 06:01 PM (This post was last modified: 21-05-2012 10:36 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(21-05-2012 04:23 PM)Pachomius Wrote:  First, are you an ex-Christian? because unless you are an ex-Christian you would not know what is the concept of God in the Christian faith in His fundamental relation to the universe.
You say: "Our convictions about the absence of a deity are the result of scientific, historical and literary inquiry."
That deity you are talking about has to do with the concept of God in the Christian faith in His fundamental relation to the universe.
We are now no longer into your lifestyle but into your thinking style, tell me how your inquiry in science, history, and literature leads to your conclusion that there is absent an entity corresponding to the concept of God.
Pachomius

Thank you for your kind invitation for a dialogue.
Interesting sir, that you chose Pachomius as a name for yourself here. Also rather ironic, in that I, for a couple years, before I came to my senses, thought that I too would become a monk. Not a hermit, (as Pachomius was), but planned to become a member of one of the strict Benedictine off-shoots, founded by St. Robert of Molesme, and St. Stephen Harding, and later reformed by Abbott de Rance. (Are you French, German, Italian ? ... your English is excellent). I have some friends in that order, and will be visiting them for a weekend this June. I have great respect for their simple life-style, and farming efforts, even though we agree on absolutely nothing, (except that they make good cheese, and serve great wine). I will get up at 3AM and attend their Vigils, and maybe sit through Mass, (maybe not), and read again "A Universe from Nothing", (Krauss), (and assuming I survive the drone strike Tongue ), will have an interesting weekend at the monastery.

I suspect the reason you are here, is because you also are beginning your long process of deprogramming, and wanted to see for yourself what some atheists are really all about. Well, I guess it's your lucky day. I know more about your Christian faith, and most of it's branches than you do. So yes, for a while, from birth, I was a Christian. I even had what your people would call experiences, of "pure contemplation". When I came to realize they were chemically mediated experiences, and could be reproduced by athletic activity, (running, and weight lifting, and surfing), I saw I was deluded, which led me to a long period of study .

Your statement that "it takes one to know one", (ie that unless one IS a Christian, one could not know about the concept of a Christian god), is false. Many atheists understand very well what that concept is, and indeed spend their lives examining it, and know more about it, and are more conversant with it's details, than almost all believers.

Of course your request "tell me how you inquiry in science, history and literature leads to your conclusion that there is absent an entity corresponding to the concept of god" would be impossible to even begin to fulfill. You must take your own journey, and do your own homework. I, (we), can give you some hints on directions to look, but the road is long, and there are no easy answers. So lets start with your word "entity". An "entity", by it's definition is self limiting. That means it is "something, and not "something" "else". That contradicts your definition of "infinite" (god). So a god, (if there was one), by definition, is not an "entity". It's also the same reason, it could not be a "person", (as a "personality" is self-limiting).

I need to know where your science education stands, so I can know at what level I can speak to you, and in what terms. Do you know Biology, Chemistry, Math, and Physics ? Do you know about Quantum Mechanics, and Genetics ?

As for History, what History have you studied ? Do you know about Ancient History, do you know about the Sumerian Cultures of the Ancient near East. How much do you know about the period from about 100 BCE, to 400 CE ? Do you know about Archaeology, and Anthropology ? How much actual Church History have you looked at ?

What literature have you read ? How many languages do you speak ? Do you know Greek and Hebrew ? (I suspect you may know Latin? ) Do you know about Mythology, (and how that was used by Ancient cultures), and how it's used today ?

OMG, what have I done. "Ego puto non ante institutionem Pachomii nuces, experiri possum".

Have you ready the mystics, Pachomius ? John of the Cross, Theresa of Avila ? Duns Scotus ? Have you read the Desert Fathers ? The Church Fathers ? Augustine ? Aquinas ? Have you read the Prostestant Theologians , Paul Tillich, Dietrich Bonhoffer ? Have you read Thomas Merton ? The Jewish Philosopher Martin Buber ?
Tell us, what have you read, Pachomius. Have you read the Badivadgita ? Wink

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
22-05-2012, 04:34 PM
(21-05-2012 05:40 PM)Dom Wrote:  Pachomius, what is your native language? This is the third time I have asked.

I really don't see what is your point in wanting to know my native language.

Tell me first what is your point in wanting to know what is my native language.

I started with this thread to engage atheists with the exchange of thoughts with atheists here on their lifestyle; but they seem to be insisting that they don't have any lifestyle different from the generality of non-atheists or people generally.

Ex-Christians in effect say that they are not different from Christians who are not what I call sincerely practicing Christians.

So I thought that you atheists might be interested for you and me to exchange thoughts on what is the peculiar psychology of atheists as a group in mankind or in a peculiar society; but you are not either interested in if not hostile to this topic.

Then I came upon someone here who says that he is an atheist because he on his inquiry in science, history, and literature has come to the conclusion that there is no God.

At this point I want to exchange thoughts with you atheists on how your inquiry into science, history, and literature leads you to the conclusion that there is no God.

Anyway, what is your point in your curiosity to know what is my native language?

If you do not understand my English, tell me what you do not understand and I will try to write it in very plain clear everyday words for you to understand.

Tell you what, you share with me how your inquiry in science, history, and literature leads you to the conclusion that there is no God, and I will tell you what is my mother language or tongue; but I tell you in regard to the tongue as oral speech, I do better writing in English than speaking in my mother tongue or in any other language -- however still you seem to find my English incomprehensible or you lack reading comprehension with my English.

Is that what is bugging you, my English? in that case we are into the psychology of how a person feels bugged about anything at all.

So, if you care to talk at all about lifestyle of atheists I may suggest that we deal with the question what is bugging atheists insofar as they are self-professed and vocal atheists.

But you first tell me what is bugging you with my English or what is your point in wanting to know what is my mother tongue or language, then when I have already answered you to your satisfaction, namely, what is my mother language, you will tell me how your inquiry in science, history, and literature leads you as an atheist to the conclusion that there is no God.

And as a parallel issue, what is bugging you to the core as atheists when you write here in particular with my attempts to exchange thoughts with you atheists.

Pachomius
22-05-2012, 04:39 PM
(21-05-2012 06:01 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(21-05-2012 04:23 PM)Pachomius Wrote:  First, are you an ex-Christian? because unless you are an ex-Christian you would not know what is the concept of God in the Christian faith in His fundamental relation to the universe.
Pachomius

Thank you for your kind invitation for a dialogue.
Interesting sir, that you chose Pachomius as a name for yourself here. Also rather ironic, in that I, for a couple years, before I came to my senses, thought that I too would become a monk. Not a hermit, (as Pachomius was), but planned to become a member of one of the strict Benedictine off-shoots, founded by St. Robert of Molesme, and St. Stephen Harding, and later reformed by Abbott de Rance. (Are you French, German, Italian ? ... your English is excellent). I have some friends in that order, and will be visiting them for a weekend this June. I have great respect for their simple life-style, and farming efforts, even though we agree on absolutely nothing, (except that they make good cheese, and serve great wine). I will get up at 3AM and attend their Vigils, and maybe sit through Mass, (maybe not), and read again "A Universe from Nothing", (Krauss), (and assuming I survive the drone strike Tongue ), will have an interesting weekend at the monastery.

I suspect the reason you are here, is because you also are beginning your long process of deprogramming, and wanted to see for yourself what some atheists are really all about. Well, I guess it's your lucky day. I know more about your Christian faith, and most of it's branches than you do. So yes, for a while, from birth, I was a Christian. I even had what your people would call experiences, of "pure contemplation". When I came to realize they were chemically mediated experiences, and could be reproduced by athletic activity, (running, and weight lifting, and surfing), I saw I was deluded, which led me to a long period of study .

Your statement that "it takes one to know one", (ie that unless one IS a Christian, one could not know about the concept of a Christian god), is false. Many atheists understand very well what that concept is, and indeed spend their lives examining it, and know more about it, and are more conversant with it's details, than almost all believers.

Of course your request "tell me how you inquiry in science, history and literature leads to your conclusion that there is absent an entity corresponding to the concept of god" would be impossible to even begin to fulfill. You must take your own journey, and do your own homework. I, (we), can give you some hints on directions to look, but the road is long, and there are no easy answers. So lets start with your word "entity". An "entity", by it's definition is self limiting. That means it is "something, and not "something" "else". That contradicts your definition of "infinite" (god). So a god, (if there was one), by definition, is not an "entity". It's also the same reason, it could not be a "person", (as a "personality" is self-limiting).

I need to know where your science education stands, so I can know at what level I can speak to you, and in what terms. Do you know Biology, Chemistry, Math, and Physics ? Do you know about Quantum Mechanics, and Genetics ?

As for History, what History have you studied ? Do you know about Ancient History, do you know about the Sumerian Cultures of the Ancient near East. How much do you know about the period from about 100 BCE, to 400 CE ? Do you know about Archaeology, and Anthropology ? How much actual Church History have you looked at ?

What literature have you read ? How many languages do you speak ? Do you know Greek and Hebrew ? (I suspect you may know Latin? ) Do you know about Mythology, (and how that was used by Ancient cultures), and how it's used today ?

OMG, what have I done. "Ego puto non ante institutionem Pachomii nuces, experiri possum".

Have you ready the mystics, Pachomius ? John of the Cross, Theresa of Avila ? Duns Scotus ? Have you read the Desert Fathers ? The Church Fathers ? Augustine ? Aquinas ? Have you read the Prostestant Theologians , Paul Tillich, Dietrich Bonhoffer ? Have you read Thomas Merton ? The Jewish Philosopher Martin Buber ?
Tell us, what have you read, Pachomius. Have you read the Badivadgita ? Wink

I invite you to consider what in science leads you to come to the conclusion that there is no God.

Pachomiu
22-05-2012, 05:21 PM
I want to know because the patterns in your language are not any I recognize. It's not german, french or italian like Bucky suggested. That wouldn't cause that type of sentence structure or such word clusters.

Your english doesn't bug me, why should it. It arouses my curiosity though. Why do you think I am "bugged" by something?

As far as your project goes, why don't you just post that you want to conduct some queries for the purpose of a school paper or whatever you are trying to accomplish here? Why the secrecy?

I never said that I came to the conclusion that there is no god. I have no idea whether there is a god or not. But, should there be a god, and should he be the one from the old Testament, I don't like him at all and the last thing I would do is worship him.

How did you come to conclusion that there is a god, and why did you pick the one from the old testament?

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
22-05-2012, 05:22 PM
(22-05-2012 04:34 PM)Pachomius Wrote:  Tell you what, you share with me how your inquiry in science, history, and literature leads you to the conclusion that there is no God, and I will tell you what is my mother language or tongue; but I tell you in regard to the tongue as oral speech, I do better writing in English than speaking in my mother tongue or in any other language -- however still you seem to find my English incomprehensible or you lack reading comprehension with my English.

There's nothing technically wrong with your English and it's comprehensible. It just reads "strained" as if it's not your native language. No biggie. And not that I give a shit about your mother tongue, but I'm pretty sure I already addressed your question.

(21-05-2012 05:09 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(21-05-2012 04:23 PM)Pachomius Wrote:  We are now no longer into your lifestyle but into your thinking style, tell me how your inquiry in science, history, and literature leads to your conclusion that there is absent an entity corresponding to the concept of God.

Okey dokey smokey. I don't dismiss an entity corresponding to the concept of God, I reify it as we.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
22-05-2012, 05:23 PM (This post was last modified: 23-05-2012 12:59 PM by Vipa.)
Consider this:
Why should we answer anything anymore if you refuse to answer anything at all about yourself?

And again there is nothing "peculiar" about our psychology. The difference between us and christians is basically that we added religion to our list of things we examine with logic.
Actually I could give you some nice statistics on atheism, but they have nothing to do with psychology...
e.g.: Statistics from a large dating site on grammar/religion:

"If you want to know... Is my date religious?
Ask... Do spelling and grammar mistakes annoy you?
If your date answers 'no'—i.e. is okay with bad grammar and spelling—the odds of him or her being at least moderately religious is slightly better than 2:1
As someone who is not himself a believer, I found it rather
heartening that tolerance, even on something trivial like this,
correlated with belief in God, although I should've figured out that
religious people are okay with small mistakes. Next to intelligent
design, what's a couple typos?
It's also nice when two completely independent datasets corroborate each
other. Last summer, we analyzed the profile text of half a million user
profiles, comparing religion and writing-level. For every one of the
faith-based belief systems listed, the people who were the least serious
wrote at the highest level. "
[Image: MegaChart2.png]

Source: oktrends

On a more serious note - About your question:
Everything science has discovered so far works perfectly well without a god. No one says with 100% certainty there's no god, but we haven't found a single thing that can only be explained with a god... and evidence that points to a god is inexistent. Or do you happen to have evidence?
[+] 2 users Like Vipa's post